Pattaya Halloween: The only scary thing was the complete lack of tourists

rooster59

Disaster with the Baht +

Immigration officers incompetence +

cops and military presence everywhere +

dual pricing for non-Thai = perfect recipe to scare away tourists.

"It's Nice to be Important but it's Important to be Nice" 

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bbi1 said:

What a load of BS. You haven't read the numerous threads posted of tourists being denied entry with a valid visa in this section: https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/

Oh, I haven't, have I? 

Many thanks for a link to a sub forum I had completely overlooked. Who knew thaivisa had an entire section dedicated to Thai visas? 

I am forever in your debt. 

4 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Considering both basement of Central and Beach Road are under construction it's a bit hard to gauge numbers

Yes the Beach rd construction is not very inviting for relaxing on Beach that looks to be ongoing for next 2-3 months. So December will really tell the damage to tourism. Evidently you have not taken closer look at the boarded up sections on Central basement floor, how many months now on the so called food court renovation? Where there is no activity going on at all? They might have given up on that as that basement level on weekdays is looking almost empty all the way to Beach road exit. Then as a side note what about the 60 or so perfume kiosks on 1st floor at 2nd rd exit. 

On 11/2/2019 at 10:39 AM, Beggar said:

I was in Terminal 21 yesterday evening and saw very many people there. I regretted to go there on Friday because of the many people.

Perhaps a declining number of tourists are interested in the noisy (sex) bar business. The video shows mostly empty bars of this newer Tree Town Pattaya. You have to imagine in this erea next to the Second Road were endless often empty bars already and perhaps with the idea to improve tourism Tree Town Pattaya was added in addition to many other bars in the new Walking Street (or new Soi 6) Soi Buakhao. Perhaps they should create one more big bar area at the big empty place were the Excite Disco was before. And the 3rd road provides enough space for new bars too. And the Avenue Shopping Mall could be transformed with many bars into a Pattaya version of Nana Plaza and... I am confident Pattaya still has a lot of unused potential to increase tourism. 

Was in Pattaya last week, and it was packed with tourists from India, Chinese, Middle East, Russia, Central Europe, etc..

I was tempted to think that T.A.T was somewhat successful in getting a more respectable clientele for this place. But on the bright side, one could still spot, some older westerners, in deep conversation with their first pint, at 10 am.

10 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

If you forget the women you could have a last minute booked  all inclusive (if that's your thing) on a Spanish island for 300 quid in a reasonable hotel and that includes flights. If I didn't have a Thai wife In would long ago have given up on the place and spend my money at home or in Europe. IMHO Spain has the best tourism offer in the world at every level of spend. 

agree entirely 

there are now lots of cool places across Europe to visit not just the Med and don't forget about the USA and South America, Thailand is losing its appeal and the Authorities don't see it, they are treating people pretty badly at the moment, we see questions raised all the time now from people who visit on a regular basis wondering if the will be turned away at the airport and this is a country were tourism is 15-20% of GDP - it is absolute madness 

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

coincidentally my first trip to the LOS was 15 years ago in 2004.  And in my view the place went downhill every year since then.  I was enamored with the place in 2004, went twice that year.  I immediately starting making plans to semi retire there, changed my investment strategy to yield income, i.e. dividends and interest.  That decision has worked out fine so no regrets.  But as far as retiring to Thailand, well that is now very unlikely.  At the moment can only see two 60 day SETVs with one extension each for a total of 180 days give or take in Thailand.  And after each of those first 88 days, a trip to a neighboring country for some tourism that I wanted to do anyway, thereby avoiding the 90 day reports. 

The second trip in 2004 we had reservations for Phuket that would have put us there the days of the Tsunami but fortunately my buddy changed our reservations the night before to go to Ko Samet.  So Saturday AM woke up on Ko Samet and saw the news on TV

The tsunami was on a Sunday.

Rooster

For sure soi Buhakao will be dead low season as its a soi for many locals living in 4k fan rooms above the bars. They are not your " I got the 800k" expats and many have a left or will do next year when their extension is due. Same goes for the darkside

Bar owners on that soi will be hurting from now on in low season

7 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Nobody goes on holiday to buy drinks at the 7-11 and drink in their hotel room.

Fact is that prices of drinks in Thailand are now almost double than what you would pay in a comparable location in Europe.

My brother has just come back from Kiev with a side trip to Chernobyl. Great place , miserable people, but 500ml lager 80p in the cafe/bars. He's married with kinds but the eye candy he says was something else !

47 minutes ago, madmen said:

For sure soi Buhakao will be dead low season as its a soi for many locals living in 4k fan rooms above the bars. They are not your " I got the 800k" expats and many have a left or will do next year when their extension is due. Same goes for the darkside

Bar owners on that soi will be hurting from now on in low season

There is still a hope for the future

i see more and more groups of indians walking in the Bukkhao area

it's a new thing. They do not stop in the bars because

the girls are not realy friendly with them and the drinks prices are 

probably too high for them but who know how it could turn if they are the

only customers as TAT has already predicted with millions flooding the city

10 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Hotels now one of the few bargains left in Thailand.  And that’s due to a tremendous oversupply.  But the’ll need a whole lot more than cheap rooms to entice back western tourists.  Meanwhile we’ll just enjoy the solitude at beach areas.

Rent , property and the Pattaya baht buses are also damn cheap compared to the UK and errr that's it. Oh and I forget life in as 'life is cheap''. 

6 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

yeah dude, I joke a lot about it, but in truth, I have lost interest in nightlife, simply becasue I cant burn the candles on both ends. Look, lets be real, I have no problem going to Mixx by cab (at midnight) for 125 baht, paying 350 baht or so for an entry, then having two drinks at 700 baht for the pair, then dragging out some Rosskie or Uzbek for a 5000 baht good time, cab back 150 baht, and its 4am when done for almost 7K. 

But I wake up, no exceptions, at like 5-6. So now Im hung over, tired and the entire day is shot. Better to just feed the need some afternoon, or wank, and devote my time to all the stuff to do here during the day.

The best things in life are free.....thank god for a goo vpn and broadband. 

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Do you visit Pattaya? I have always found the Buakhao area quite busy. Pain in the bottom to get around to be honest, no pavements and crazy traffic. 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Do you visit Pattaya? I have always found the Buakhao area quite busy. Pain in the bottom to get around to be honest, no pavements and crazy traffic. 

Will be there for a month 28th november but go all the time as a break from Bangkok. It gets crazy busy high season but I was really commenting on the expats that will probably move back home or to cambodia because of visa and cash hassles

33 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

There is still a hope for the future

i see more and more groups of indians walking in the Bukkhao area

it's a new thing. They do not stop in the bars because

the girls are not realy friendly with them and the drinks prices are 

probably too high for them but who know how it could turn if they are the

only customers as TAT has already predicted with millions flooding the city

They like the "soapy massages" you can find for instance in the Soi Buakhao area. They cost more than a drink in a bar. 

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

Evidently you have not taken closer look at the boarded up sections on Central basement floor, how many months now on the so called food court renovation? Where there is no activity going on at all? They might have given up on that as that basement level on weekdays is looking almost empty all the way to Beach road exit. 

This is bad with the food court. Never ate there again since they moved it. I was told it will be finished in December. But compared to the price level in Terminal 21 it is too expensive. It is better to go to a real restaurant and have a better atmosphere than this fast food / canteen feeling. Or simply visit Terminal 21.

47 minutes ago, Beggar said:

This is bad with the food court. Never ate there again since they moved it. I was told it will be finished in December. But compared to the price level in Terminal 21 it is too expensive. It is better to go to a real restaurant and have a better atmosphere than this fast food / canteen feeling. Or simply visit Terminal 21.

Imo there is 0 chance it should be finished in december

i have looking at the on going work inside and only few workers are on

and it's actualy going very very slow,

They probably already know they have lose the fight again T21

too late, too litlle and too pricey is the only slow reaction

from an obviously non reactive team.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:33 PM, smedly said:

I have friends come here on holiday as much as 3-4 times a year they don't get close to what I spend over the same 12 months - I am worth at least x30 of them to Thailand

You said not too long ago that you'd told your friends not to come anymore and they were going elsewhere?

Have they changed their minds again?

11 hours ago, BestB said:

Yup, nothing wrong with being number 10 on the same day???? and indeed only 1200 for 15 min nookie, a bargain ????

Naturally yours have 'Best B' stamped across their foreheads and only present their silken clams in your presence.

You're not kidding anyone except youself mate. ????

It was probably four Indians for 200 baht half an hour before you.

1 minute ago, Traubert said:

Naturally yours have 'Best B' stamped across their foreheads and only present their silken clams in your presence.

You're not kidding anyone except youself mate. ????

If you could translate that, it would be appreciated

21 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah almost as funny as those 20000 baht a month nondegreed teachers, digital nomads, scammers, Bitcoiners and all the other assorted young rifraf that cant cut it in the west who call themselves "expats" and who look down on retirees with 25 year old girlfriends who sleep late and whose net worth is unobtainable to them unless they live to be 120. Hows rush hour treating you?

Great post Sir ..25year old G/F might be a bit of a stretch in my case more like a 25 year age diff, but the rest is true . 

Archived