Pattaya Halloween: The only scary thing was the complete lack of tourists

rooster59

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, robblok said:

Most tourists dont need a long term visa. That is only a small part of the tourists. 

Rubbish! Many of my friends would go to Samui/Phuket outside of their working season. 

Some work hard for six months of the year and then are free to spend the proceeds relaxing somewhere warm, when it is cold in their country.

They are free to holiday up to six months per annum and clearly there is no issue with them staying up to 180 days per annum, according to Immigration.

But, their e-Visa for Tourists is a sham and who knows how they will behave when you come and go?

So don't presume to try to tell how it is for tourists when you have no idea. I am a tourist and you are not. 

19 hours ago, smedly said:

I have friends come here on holiday as much as 3-4 times a year they don't get close to what I spend over the same 12 months - I am worth at least x30 of them to Thailand

You must be in party mode 12 months of the year then

21 hours ago, BestB said:

Even if baht was weaker. Have you seen the prices?

Thailand is known as a cheap holiday destination . 290 baht for a plain T-shirt at the markets is hardly cheap even if baht was weaker but at the levels it’s at now its double the price to most western countries .

220 baht for a drink , 1500 bsht

bsrfines, 1000 baht for a steak. Just a bread roll is up to 25 baht

A night out with a female company can set you back 10000, easily. 

10,000b easily for a night out provides she doesnt ask you to go bar hopping to see her sister and maybe seafood dinner. 

20 hours ago, robblok said:

I am sure about it if you look at expat long stay numbers and long term tourist they are a fraction of the short term tourists who spend the most. Those on longer holidays usually spend less per day. 

It's not either or, is it?

It's not like there is a choice between short stay tourism and longer stay tourism, so what is your point?

Twenty years ago, friends who kept to a tight budget were spending 60k per month and that was considerably less than what I was spending. I would spend nearly that much on accommodation alone.

I don't care if there are tourists that stay for 4.8 days and spend an average of US$184 per day. 

It's not as if they are stopping me from visiting Thailand.

What could stop me, is the feeling of being made to feel unwelcome and the utter sham of a visa application system.

Previously I could apply in person one day and pick up the visa the next.

Now you have to create an account online, upload sensitive documents to their system, print out a declaration and sign it. Then you scan that declaration and upload that too. Then book an appointment to take your passport to the Embassy, taking copies of all of the documents that you already uploaded and then two business days later, you can pick up the visa.

How in the world can that be called an eVisa?? It's not an improvement to their guest/customer in any sense of the word. Actually a huge backwards step. It takes longer and you are duplicating steps for no apparent reason. Imbecilic, on the surface.

So don't presume to tell anyone how it is for tourists, when you are clearly just making it up as you go along.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I just booked one for the International Firework Festival, wasn't no bargain!

Yeah dude I got hammered up in Surin for the upcoming elephant round up. Rooms are 100% higher than before.

When I went to Buriram to watch the Buriram/Port Match, I paid probably 25% more than ususal for a room.

Supply and demand. 

PS @jacko45k, what days are that festival?

44 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I'd say that that is quite a few, a significant portion of the overall visa extension folk.

Yes and coincidentally a very significant portion of nationalities that make the condescending/criticizing comments about Thais online. And also those nationalities whose exchange rates are having adverse effects. 

21 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

220 baht for a drink , 1500 bsht

bsrfines, 1000 baht for a steak. Just a bread roll is up to 25 baht

A night out with a female company can set you back 10000, easily. 

100 baht for a drink, 300 baht bar fine, 300 good pasta/pizza, long time 2000 baht, = 3000 baht stop whingeing and change your life style if you cant afford it.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry you had such a bad time, but your experience is unusually expensive. Most of us didn't pay anywhere near that much.

Baht too high, go elsewhere; T shirts too expensive, don't buy them ( they were only cheap because they were made in sweat shops by nearly slave labour ); 220 baht for a drink, buy at 7 11 and drink in the room; 1500 baht barfines and 10,000 baht for the company- they saw you coming ( if it's really costing that much you are looking in the wrong places ); 1,000 baht for a steak, fried rice chicken- 25 baht; bread roll 25 baht- bread is bad for you anyway.

Most of us ? 

your idea of a holiday is to drink at 7-11? Eat mama noodles and hang around the beach skanks ? 

no thanks . 

perhaps if you could afford going to a club, you would know real prices. 

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

100 baht for a drink, 300 baht bar fine, 300 good pasta/pizza, long time 2000 baht, = 3000 baht stop whingeing and change your life style if you cant afford it.

Stop posting utter bs, the only time you pay 300 bar fine if it’s a dive full

of skanks. Any bar with decent looking girls bar fine is 500, Gogo is 1000-2000 and go go girls would not touch you for 2000 lt, they would not even touch you for 2000 st

and 100 gets you a bottle of water in any decent bar

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry you had such a bad time, but your experience is unusually expensive. Most of us didn't pay anywhere near that much.

220 baht for a drink, buy at 7 11 and drink in the room

Nobody goes on holiday to buy drinks at the 7-11 and drink in their hotel room.

Fact is that prices of drinks in Thailand are now almost double than what you would pay in a comparable location in Europe.

Just now, dimitriv said:

Nobody goes on holiday to buy drinks at the 7-11 and drink in their hotel room.

Fact is that prices of drinks in Thailand are now almost double than what you would pay in a comparable location in Europe.

Evidently a few do, and then brag about it as well. Turns out being cheap Charlie is the new fashion ????

22 hours ago, morrobay said:

Why dont you take a ride along Beach rd this afternoopn Hoss. For much needed  reality check regarding "nothing has  has changed" regarding tourist numbetrs . I dont know whats up with some of you people and your everthing is cool bs replies to calling spades spades?? And whats his name go get some photos in basement floor Central. 

Considering both basement of Central and Beach Road are under construction it's a bit hard to gauge numbers

1 minute ago, BestB said:

of skanks. Any bar with decent looking girls bar fine is 500, Gogo is 1000-2000 and go go girls would not touch you for 2000 lt, they would not even touch you for 2000 st

and 100 gets you a bottle of water in any decent bar

No bs just a short drive from Pattaya but you are still whingeing about money so as i said if you cant afford it change your life style. DOH !

14 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I dont worry about trifles like that.

I don't care too much about the strong baht or raised prices.

But when I place becomes too quiet I never return again, as it is far less enjoyable. This was the case when I went to Samui earlier in the year.

It's Chinese tourists causing the problem.

20 minutes ago, BestB said:

Soi 6 has many upper class female therapists available for much less than 2000 including room. 

I cant stay up late enough to visit the Gogo's and cant stay "up' long enough to make it worthwhile 5555

14 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No bs just a short drive from Pattaya but you are still whingeing about money so as i said if you cant afford it change your life style. DOH !

Oh I see, so a tourist should also take short drives, spend another 500 each way on a taxi to save some money ????

1 minute ago, Skallywag said:

Soi 6 has many upper class female therapists available for much less than 2000 including room. 

I cant stay up late enough to visit the Gogo's and cant stay "up' long enough to make it worthwhile 5555

Yup, nothing wrong with being number 10 on the same day???? and indeed only 1200 for 15 min nookie, a bargain ????

Archived