Pattaya Halloween: The only scary thing was the complete lack of tourists

rooster59

On 11/2/2019 at 2:49 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

Same here I was with my then gf (now wife) in Pai wondering where to go next I wanted to go to Phuket and book a hotel by the beach my missus used to have a souvenir shop there and said it was the rainy season. We went to Ko Samed instead for Christmas and left the island on boxing day. The text messages from family and friends took hours to come through as we learnt in horror at what had just happened. Unwittingly she saved our lives. You may remember the big bar on White Sands with the all bands it was quite a night and a german baldie being buried in the sand who had brought his 'teerak' from Pattaya. I think it was 70 odd baht to the pound lived like a king....

we stayed at the Malibu resort, on the southeast side of the island.  About 7 or 8 smallish hotel and bungalow complexes there.  Nightly barbecues on the beach from each hotel gave one a decent choice.  Very inexpensive to feed our group of 3 guys and gals

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/2/2019 at 1:49 PM, chrisinth said:

Your reasoning is flawed. An average visitor staying one year will not spend anything near what a 26 visitors staying for two weeks will spend over the one year period. Notice I say average.

Been here for 15 years. I have a very comfortable lifestyle, and am not frugal nor wasteful.

However, when my son comes to visit - WE MAKE IT RAIN, BABY!!!

11 hours ago, BestB said:

Of course, an anonymous nobody knows more than  an urban dictionary, which minds you states its Australian Slang, not NZ, but hey keep on trolling, Thai visa always needs a few like you, self proclaimed experts that is

Jeezzus, boombooming Christ !...

On 11/1/2019 at 11:30 PM, madmen said:

How have "officials" slaughtered the average 5 day tourists? People come here to party and not to study the political landscape

With inept and inane policy. With immigration yo-yo policies. With the inability to address the scams, the air quality, the traffic massacres, the immigration lines at Swampy, the surly agents, with the unwillingness to tackle public safety, and so much more. I could go on for a week. Do you really want to hear it.

The number of party people has drastically declined over the years. Why do you think so many bars and massage spots have gone out of business? It is mostly a family affair these days. 

Glad I missed Halloween in  Dead  Pattaya . 

I hope that some day in the future the Baht will, get in line

with the rest of Asian currency. I hope to see what Vietnam is like,

for my self, as well as the Phillippines.. I plan to do that in the

next 3 years or so.

Geezer

On 11/2/2019 at 1:18 PM, SteveK said:

Hard to find those dishes at those prices in Pattaya, you may be quoting the absolute cheapest places, not the usual price. Beer for 55 baht? Must be a small bottle, not a good price. Barfine 300 baht? Where is that? Girls from 500 baht? They must look like the back end of a bus, and a very heavy bus at that.

Somehow I think you haven't been to Pattaya for about 20 years.

I'm staying in Pattaya 8 years now. And I'm out alot. I'm sorry for you that you dont know your way around. As a former bar owner ( last year) my bar and all bars around mine had same prices.

12 hours ago, ZAKY said:

You got it right! This is how many people are reacting towards Thailand! The chasing of foreigners are leaving us with the impression that you want us to come just for empty our pockets! 

Has always been that way. Thais get away with it because so many farang delusional with no cure. Cant fix stupid farang bufallo. Farang bufallo are exactly where they deserve to be. 

3 hours ago, sead said:

I'm staying in Pattaya 8 years now. And I'm out alot. I'm sorry for you that you dont know your way around. As a former bar owner ( last year) my bar and all bars around mine had same prices.

Former bar owner, gets out a lot. Says it all about decline of pattaya. A thousand to one in Saigon and Hanoi compared to Pattaya. Tourists are telling mafia countries to f off!

5 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Glad I missed Halloween in  Dead  Pattaya . 

I hope that some day in the future the Baht will, get in line

with the rest of Asian currency. I hope to see what Vietnam is like,

for my self, as well as the Phillippines.. I plan to do that in the

next 3 years or so.

Geezer

the only positive about FiloLand... they don't do Halloween, as it is called All Saints Day, and everyone spends it by a Family Crypt...

5 minutes ago, tifino said:

the only positive about FiloLand... they don't do Halloween, as it is called All Saints Day, and everyone spends it by a Family Crypt...

i suspect you have spent limited time in the philipines, and none of it over the week that contains halloween, I however have been there for the last 5 Halloweens and remain in contact with a group of friends there.

they are crazy for halloween, and manage to turn it into at least a 3 or 4 day event with multiple parties and in some cases a few different costumes, especially the women.

my instagram is barraged with Halloween "stories" and pictures of haloween carnage. 

Am over here in Hoi An, Vietnam and I was shocked at how many tourists were out, both Western and Asian.  Night Market 7 nights a week with many of the restaurants quite full despite it clearly being rainy season. Prices are similar to Thailand except alcohol is cheaper here. Didnt see any signs of a sex trade but I’m sure it exists somewhere.  

On 11/2/2019 at 1:22 PM, madmen said:

Dude thats the the thing about google, it trumps fantasy with facts and these are by mastercard

2018 International Overnight Visitors Growth Forecast for 2019 Average Length of Stay Average Spend Per Day (USD)
Bangkok 22.78 million 3.34% 4.8 nights $184

That translates to 5500 baht approx today but easy 6000 at time of report

https://www.tatnews.org/2019/09/bangkok-tops-mastercards-global-destination-cities-index-for-the-fourth-consecutive-year/

Hmm, it could be based on TAT'a own numbers:

Methodology
The Mastercard Asia Pacific Destinations Index (APDI) ranks 161 cities based on proprietary analysis of information from third-party sources such as the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), International Air Transport Association (IATA), UNWTO, UN, IMF and national tourism boards. Public data is used in deriving the international overnight visitor arrivals and their cross-border spending in each of the 161 destination cities. Forecasts are based on the weighted average of national tourism forecasts and actual 2019 monthly data at the destination level, which is available to the latest month before release. This Index and all accompanying reports are not based on Mastercard volumes or transactional data.

On 11/2/2019 at 2:49 AM, unamazedloso said:

i dont know what articles these people are reading but i read tourism is up year on year..

Just waiting for the lottery and ill be oit of here ????????

Because the Thai government tell lies 

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:
On 11/2/2019 at 7:22 AM, madmen said:

Dude thats the the thing about google, it trumps fantasy with facts and these are by mastercard

2018 International Overnight Visitors Growth Forecast for 2019 Average Length of Stay Average Spend Per Day (USD)
Bangkok 22.78 million 3.34% 4.8 nights $184

That translates to 5500 baht approx today but easy 6000 at time of report

https://www.tatnews.org/2019/09/bangkok-tops-mastercards-global-destination-cities-index-for-the-fourth-consecutive-year/

Hmm, it could be based on TAT'a own numbers:

Methodology
The Mastercard Asia Pacific Destinations Index (APDI) ranks 161 cities based on proprietary analysis of information from third-party sources such as the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), International Air Transport Association (IATA), UNWTO, UN, IMF and national tourism boards. Public data is used in deriving the international overnight visitor arrivals and their cross-border spending in each of the 161 destination cities. Forecasts are based on the weighted average of national tourism forecasts and actual 2019 monthly data at the destination level, which is available to the latest month before release. This Index and all accompanying reports are not based on Mastercard volumes or transactional data.

Thank you. This explains a lot. The $184 tourists spend each day is exactly conform to TAT's statistics. They want tourists to spend 6000 Baht each day, even the ones from India.

There are also other clues that this data is not from Mastercard itself but from another source. They claim 22.78 million visitors in Bangkok alone. Mastercard can only have Mastercard data. If we assume that Mastercard has a 50% market share and some tourists will use cash the total number of visitors to Bangkok would be around 50 million, which is more than the total number of tourists to Thailand.

16 hours ago, Langkawee said:

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

Their usual quote is three time the price and tourists bargain them down to double the price

The quote can be anything i,'ve found,and when you counter it a lot of times they get nasty,used to  enjoy going to markets and bringing back loads of gifts for my family,now with the gash exchange rate can get it on the internet in the uk ,delivered cheaper.

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

Their usual quote is three time the price and tourists bargain them down to double the price

I tell people whatever the price they give you cut that # in half, or make a decent offer of its value...

before the scowl comes at ya aka the masks come off!

6 minutes ago, MAGA 2020 said:

Exchange rate has nothing to do with Tourism. If I want to go somewhere, I go. Exchange rates mean nothing to travelers I know.

Not when 200 baht = $10  dollars australian.!! Thats what your paying for a beer in a night club...No thanks its Pattaya not NYC

18 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Forecasts are based on the weighted average of national tourism forecasts and actual 2019 monthly data at the destination level, which is available to the latest month before release. This Index and all accompanying reports are not based on Mastercard volumes or transactional

Thats related to Forecasts.

Why would mastercard use TAT which haven't got a clue whats being spent on mastercard?  makes zero sense

Its weird though how some posters just cant accept the level of tourist spend even though the data is all there. They will fight to the death using there own home made data based on a gut feeling lol or how much they are spending per day as an expat

8 minutes ago, MAGA 2020 said:

Exchange rate has nothing to do with Tourism. If I want to go somewhere, I go. Exchange rates mean nothing to travelers I know.

It does when it drops like the pound and the euro,you are on a pension,you are working and haven't had a pay rise since 2008.

The cost of flights are starting to rise and/or they are starting to charge for luggage and for choosing seats.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Thats related to Forecasts.

Why would mastercard use TAT which haven't got a clue whats being spent on mastercard?  makes zero sense

Its weird though how some posters just cant accept the level of tourist spend even though the data is all there. They will fight to the death using there own home made data based on a gut feeling lol or how much they are spending per day as an expat

I think the tourist arrival numbers are rock solid as they are just compiled from immigration data. 

TAT is rightly so reporting close to 40 million visitors, but the debate is whether those visitors are all tourist and how much they spend.

Do you honestly believe the average TOURIST spend as below?

Cambodia: 5,669 baht/day

Laos: 5,382 baht/day

Myanmar: 5,977 baht/day

Germany: 3,611 baht/day

Sweden: 4,640 baht/day

UK: 4,287 baht/day

Crazy Rich Asian all right.

Tourist Spending by Nationality.xlsx

I feel sorry for those who hoped to stay in Thailand on a fixed, foreign, income or had a business go bust due to low tourist numbers. When I was in Thailand last, six months ago, there were tons of Chinese people. People told me they didn't spend money around and about. They paid for a tour and that was it. 

Thailand could probably boost tourist numbers with a small boost to foreign currencies in the exchange market. 5-10% would have a lot of people coming back.

On 11/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, sletraveler said:

Am over here in Hoi An, Vietnam and I was shocked at how many tourists were out, both Western and Asian.  Night Market 7 nights a week with many of the restaurants quite full despite it clearly being rainy season. Prices are similar to Thailand except alcohol is cheaper here. Didnt see any signs of a sex trade but I’m sure it exists somewhere.  

Leaving aside sexy times, what do you find cost of living is for food, booze, hotels and comparison of quality to Thailand?

The hotels in Thailand are cheap, relative to other places in the region. I can get a very cheap flight there. Given that I would never pay a girl in a GoGo bar, I think the holiday will still work out cheaply for me.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:14 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think if I moved to Vietnam, with my income, I'd finally have achieved my lifelong goal of becoming a multi-billionaire!!!  :cheesy:

You and your big Dong.

4 hours ago, madmen said:

How can Mastercard know that 22.78 million people spent $184 a day ?  They cannot. If 22.78 million people visit Bangkok Mastercard cannot know how much they spent, because not all people use Mastercard.  If Mastercard has a 50% market share with payment cards they cannot know what people spend who use Visa, and they cannot know what people spend who pay cash.  And how can do know how much people visit Bangkok?  They cannot.

The only explanation is that this is TAT data, not Mastercard data.

Quote:

The Mastercard ... Index (APDI) ranks 161 cities based on proprietary analysis of information from third-party sources such as the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), International Air Transport Association (IATA), UNWTO, UN, IMF and national tourism boards. 

They nowhere say that this is Mastercard data.

>> Its weird though how some posters just cant accept the level of tourist spend even though the data is all there

It is weird that some people cannot value information on the internet. And weird that they cannot accept that this data is not reliable, that this is just TAT data, which is based on guesswork, wishes and hope.

>> use TAT which haven't got a clue whats being spent

exactly. TAT is guesswork.

1 hour ago, dimitriv said:

How can Mastercard know that 22.78 million people spent $184 a day ?  They cannot. If 22.78 million people visit Bangkok Mastercard cannot know how much they spent, because not all people use Mastercard.  If Mastercard has a 50% market share with payment cards they cannot know what people spend who use Visa, and they cannot know what people spend who pay cash.  And how can do know how much people visit Bangkok?  They cannot.

Ive read it over and over and you appear to have a screw loose. Master card obviously are quoting their own data. They know exactly how many of their users were in bangkok 

They dont know anything about visa or cash..why o why would you think they would?

I cant believe you posted what you just did.

Archived