Thailand to sell more power to her neighbours

webfact

Thailand to sell more power to her neighbours

By THE NATION

800_6e47d02fc9da886.jpg?v=1572851995

The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) has received permission from the Energy Minister, Sonthirat Sonthijirawong, to sell electricity produced in Thailand to nearby countries, Patana Sangsriroujana, the organisation’s deputy governor of strategy and spokesman said on Monday.

“Egat is currently negotiating with Cambodia and Myanmar,” he said, “The expected volume of purchasing power from both countries is at least 500 megawatts”.

Trade in electricity is intended to go international before 2022 under a bilateral framework. This is different from the Asean framework for the Asean region, where Thailand is recognized as a power hub.

“While we are permitted to negotiate selling around 500 megawats of electricity to neighboring countries and promote the construction of community power plants with an output of 500-1,000 megawatts capacity, we can assure consumers that this will not affect the main electricity generating system in Thailand,” he said.

Thailand and Myanmar discussed the Asean Power Grid policy during the 37th Asean Ministers on Energy Meeting in September. Myanmar proposed that Thailand distribute electricity to the country to feed its growing need for power. 

“Myanmar plans to expand electricity consumption to support its economic growth; however, its current operation can accommodate only 50 per cent of the electricity needed,” Patana explained. “Thailand has also proposed to sell electricity to Cambodia, which expected to face shortages from 2022 onwards”.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378050

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-04
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

With infrequent power shortcuts, shouldn't Thailand BUY electricity?

The economy or exports got to be in bad shape if Thailand is forced to sell electricity...

Discounts for brown outs and black outs???

When I was a kid in UK we had regular blackouts but only because me Mam forgot to get some 2 bob coins for the meter. I had to go to the corner shop with a 10 bob note and get some. ????????????

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Ha,  pay me and others for what we put into the grid with solar,

as a starting point.

That was the only reason I decided against solar - selling my excess into the grid, so I could subsidize my electric costs and not have to go the expensive battery storage route to save excess.

Thailand can talk up alternative energy all it wants...but its just that...talk.

If they were serious, there would be no tax on solar panels and equipment, ability to sell back into the grid and no tax on electric cars....and perhaps even subsidies to encourage purchase.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, DLock said:

If they were serious, there would be no tax on solar panels and equipment, ability to sell back into the grid and no tax on electric cars....and perhaps even subsidies to encourage purchase.

Can you imagine the chaos if they launched a successful government program that encouraged everyone to buy an electric car?  The grid is marginally functional in a lot of places as it is.  Add a million e-vehicles charging up every night and I suspect we'd be hearing pole mounted transformers blowing up every night instead of just a few each year.  And that was in Asoke, one of the better developed areas in BKK.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, overherebc said:

When I was a kid in UK we had regular blackouts but only because me Mam forgot to get some 2 bob coins for the meter. I had to go to the corner shop with a 10 bob note and get some. ????????????

@madmitch

If it happened when me Da was listening to and checking his Littlewoods I had to run.

????????????????

• Haha 2

Thailand has been trading power for many years already. They bought it cheap in Northern/Northeastern Thailand from Laos and some of it they passed through the Thai power grid and sold it back to Laos in Ubon Ratchathani (for Southern Laos). 

Burma has more than enough energy (i.e. gas) but being boycotted for decades did not help and even Thailand had to reduce/stop buying gas to give in to the American shouts of human rights etc. 
Cambodia could produce its own power but thanks to the selfishness of China and Thailand and a toothless tiger called "Mekong River Commission" this is "challenging" as the entire Mekong meanwhile is f=c"*ç%*"d up and water is only trickling down the hydro lifeline of Southeast Asia which everyone can witness today. 

It really does not make sense to produce power in Xayabouly, get it through the Thai power grid and sell it onto Cambodia or Burma - unless, of course, Thailand creams off a tidy provision for their availability of power grid. Latter will also ensure that those countries remain dependent on Thailand. 

Modern slavery in the making - on the level of countries? As production is useless without distribution and distribution can only be done with a product - it creates a healthy bilateral dependance ???? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DLock said:

That was the only reason I decided against solar - selling my excess into the grid, so I could subsidize my electric costs and not have to go the expensive battery storage route to save excess.

Thailand can talk up alternative energy all it wants...but its just that...talk.

The tax on electric cars would be required to finance the 'clean' recycling of the batteries used. And to help find a way to reduce the CO2 increase due to power stations using more fuel overnightto recharge the electric cars when they are usually on reduced load.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Thailand has been trading power for many years already. They bought it cheap in Northern/Northeastern Thailand from Laos and some of it they passed through the Thai power grid and sold it back to Laos in Ubon Ratchathani (for Southern Laos). 

Burma has more than enough energy (i.e. gas) but being boycotted for decades did not help and even Thailand had to reduce/stop buying gas to give in to the American shouts of human rights etc. 
Cambodia could produce its own power but thanks to the selfishness of China and Thailand and a toothless tiger called "Mekong River Commission" this is "challenging" as the entire Mekong meanwhile is f=c"*ç%*"d up and water is only trickling down the hydro lifeline of Southeast Asia which everyone can witness today. 

It really does not make sense to produce power in Xayabouly, get it through the Thai power grid and sell it onto Cambodia or Burma - unless, of course, Thailand creams off a tidy provision for their availability of power grid. Latter will also ensure that those countries remain dependent on Thailand. 

Modern slavery in the making - on the level of countries? As production is useless without distribution and distribution can only be done with a product - it creates a healthy bilateral dependance ???? 

Years ago there was a gas pipeline ring put in the ground around BKK with branches going off in all directions. The original idea was to be a 'gas-hub'.

Previously a gas pipeline from Burma came into Thailand. It started at 72" diameter and soon after it got to Thailand the story was it ended up being reduced down to 14" or 12".

Often wonder how much they are used.

The way things are headed with Green energy Thailand power sales are likely to be restricted to times when the sun is shining and/or the wind is blowing. 

The same will apply to all those industries which are coming the to Prayut's EEC dream. Manufacturing/production hours of operation will be restricted to times of sunshine and wind. That should be appealing to potential investors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

I do not understand why Cambodia does not buy electricity directly in Laos.

35 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Years ago there was a gas pipeline ring put in the ground around BKK with branches going off in all directions. The original idea was to be a 'gas-hub'.

Previously a gas pipeline from Burma came into Thailand. It started at 72" diameter and soon after it got to Thailand the story was it ended up being reduced down to 14" or 12".

Some photos to prove what you just wrote ...:thumbsup:????????????
Photos taken in 2010 in Kanchanaburi province

The plant on the side of Burma

DSCN2672.thumb.JPG.f2b71c4f64b41667361a3c89f239a3eb.JPG

now on the side of Thailand

DSCN2676.thumb.JPG.1a719a823c2f35ee2f98d5a3b7a8bcac.JPG

On the border ..

DSCN2675.thumb.jpg.bb9d2cb3cda872baa7a6c5414f151454.jpg

18 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Some photos to prove what you just wrote ...:thumbsup:????????????
Photos taken in 2010 in Kanchanaburi province

The plant on the side of Burma

DSCN2672.thumb.JPG.f2b71c4f64b41667361a3c89f239a3eb.JPG

now on the side of Thailand

DSCN2676.thumb.JPG.1a719a823c2f35ee2f98d5a3b7a8bcac.JPG

On the border ..

DSCN2675.thumb.jpg.bb9d2cb3cda872baa7a6c5414f151454.jpg

One of the double joint yards was outside Ratchaburi.

Lots of interestings went on that ended up in a big mess being sorted out by lawyers in BKK. A certain Swiss origin company lost big time on it.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 3:26 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

With infrequent power shortcuts, shouldn't Thailand BUY electricity?

The economy or exports got to be in bad shape if Thailand is forced to sell electricity...

My thoughts exactly it's about time they sorted out the useless supply in my area. Off about 2 times a week and when it's on the voltage is up and down not enough power to run the microwave most days. Totally useless 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 4:29 PM, overherebc said:

Coins in a meter I'm 62 from the US and we just paid our bills monthly bob that was a friend's name ????

Edited by Fred white
Added to comment

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

The Myanmar gas pipeline is 42".

http://www.pttplc.com/en/Media-Center/Energy-Knowledge/Documents/Gas_en4.pdf

28 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Depending on the area some sections were as large as 72" some 60" and some 42".

Some joints were manual welding, some of the larger diameters were CO2 bug welded. The yard in Ratchaburi was 99% 42".

Edited by overherebc

8 hours ago, Fred white said:

Coins in a meter I'm 62 from the US and we just paid our bills monthly bob that was a friend's name ????

the switch from old style Pounds shillings and pence was in 1970, 10 years before I was born :D

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 11:08 PM, Scot123 said:

OMG! When we lived in Thailand I had to buy a generator due to us having power cuts almost weekly some lasting more than 12 hours. The same junction boxes exploding with a bang. 9 blo@dy years....... Now they want to export power. So what's going to happen now if a country offers more for the electric? Thailand in the dark me thinks. 

When we lived in Thailand...oh such an inevitable introduction to a whine..

Edited by emptypockets

On 11/4/2019 at 5:22 PM, leeneeds said:

Ha,  pay me and others for what we put into the grid with solar,

as a starting point.

Are you doing this legally and safely? Grid tied inverters that shut down when the grrd goes down. Or are you trying to electrocute people?

Why should anyone pay you? Your choice to put in PV panels.

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Are you doing this legally and safely? Grid tied inverters that shut down when the grrd goes down. Or are you trying to electrocute people?

Why should anyone pay you? Your choice to put in PV panels.

1) Legal

2) Hooked up  and earthed by mains power supplier supervisor 

3) Fuse box and internals are all quality and have ISO rating

4) The offer of return from  surplus  power into the grid was made by previous governments, after the coup the new ruling government decided to change all meters regarding solar grid ties , they to promised return which still has not happened.

5) My personal foot print in using  solar was a free choice and a small benefit to the environment at my cost.

6) Clear information on investing in solar and the lack of follow through on that information given out by successive governments has been purely a run away solution from the promises made, my angst now is that Thailand wants to sell power to its neighbours, then first off they should pay the suppliers who provide that extra power they intend to sell.

Given the clear information at the start of my investment I would have gone completely off grid, at the first stage of that outlay, which I will do in the next two years.

7) Your questions, lack the understanding of solar suppliers professionalism  and research that myself and other investors have done PRIOR  to outlaying such monies.  

• Like 2

If UK with its cold climate can make solar pay, Thailand should be awash with cheap energy.  It isn't because it doesn't suit some of the powerful elite.  Like the everlasting razor blade, the patents have all been bought up and the rich families will decide when poor Thais can have cheap power.

22 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I do not understand why Cambodia does not buy electricity directly in Laos.

The power grid is missing, i.e. the necessary high voltage power lines to supply the power into Cambodia from Laos - that is the reason. 

• Like 2