Don't get too close to your cat - Toxoplasmosis warning!

webfact

Don't get too close to your cat - Toxoplasmosis warning!

6pm.jpg

Thai caption: Cat lovers beware!

Thai cat lovers have been advised not to kiss and cuddle their feline friends. 

The warning comes after a Twitter user went online to warn about the possibility of blindness. 

A vet from Surat Thani called Narisa Ploikaew told the media that toxoplasmosis is caused by the toxoplasma gondi parasite.

In Thai the disease is called "Roke Khee Maew" or "Cat Pooh Disease". 

Getting too close to your cat can see the transfer of the parasite to humans. 

This can cause fever, aches and pains and sore throat.

Information online suggests the disease is not serious in most cases. The parasite that causes it is sometimes referred to as the "parasite that makes human's love cats" and attracts rats to their urine. 

Narisa suggested loving your cat but not smothering them in kisses. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-05
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

hate to the bearer of bad news,

haha no worries, it's obvious most things don't apply to just cats/dogs/whatever....just a strong supporter of the dog camp, despite having a cat which adopted me some 1.5 years ago.

• Like 2

In those with a weak immune system, severe symptoms such as seizures and poor coordination may occur.[1] If infected during pregnancy, a condition known as congenital toxoplasmosis may affect the child.[1]

Toxoplasmosis is usually spread by eating poorly cooked food that contains cysts, exposure to infected cat feces, and from an infected mother to her baby during pregnancy.

I'm so glad there are no cats on the Thai streets and that the streetvendors cook their food thoroughly...Thailand is safe.!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

A problem only for pregnant women and people who are immunocompromised.

I live to disagree ! In my mid  twenties I contracted this from goats. The fever and the  fatigue laid me low for 3 weeks. Zombied !

There is a potential insidious side in the long term which affirms the wisdom of avoiding acute infection.

1 hour ago, taichiplanet said:

hate to the bearer of bad news, but dogs can cause similar problems

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/toxocariasis/

Anyway, cats are much more fun. Dogs are like owning a Merc or Jag sedan while having a cat is like owning a Ferrari; you never know when it is going to break down or go wild on you!

Though, i like both. Dogs/Cats, Jags/Ferraris. ????

So Ferraris and Thai women are same same and not much different.

????????

21 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Yep. Guide dogs for the blind are the most disgusting useless things on the planet eh???????

international-guide-dog-day-640x514.jpg

Pro tip: if you have to put words in peoples' mouths to make an argument, you probably don't have much of an argument to make.

He never claimed dogs were useless, he said they were disgusting since they tend to eat poo.

12 minutes ago, Myran said:

Pro tip: if you have to put words in peoples' mouths to make an argument, you probably don't have much of an argument to make.

He never claimed dogs were useless, he said they were disgusting since they tend to eat poo.

My dogs drop it and won't go near it. It's called good feeding and training. Don't feed your pet enough and it might do it because of hunger.

One place in the back garden and the poop gets scooped every day.

PS. After the poop is scooped it gets flushed down the bog in the garage. Just to pre-empt the where do you dump the scooped poop.

????????????

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

My dogs drop it and won't go near it. It's called good feeding and training. Don't feed your pet enough and it might do it because of hunger.

One place in the back garden and the poop gets scooped every day.

PS. After the poop is scooped it gets flushed down the bog in the garage. Just to pre-empt the where do you dump the scooped poop.

????????????

Once again you're posting answers to arguments no one has made. I pointed out the fallacy in inferring that he claimed that dogs are useless, nothing else.

10 minutes ago, Myran said:

Once again you're posting answers to arguments no one has made. I pointed out the fallacy in inferring that he claimed that dogs are useless, nothing else.

So 'nothing more disgusting than a dog' means useless? In general terms something that is disgusting wouldn't really be useful to you.

If he had said 'Nothing more disgusting than a dog that does that' then I would agree with you.

Edited by overherebc

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

So 'nothing more disgusting than a dog' means useless? In general terms something that is disgusting wouldn't really be useful to you.

If he had said 'Nothing more disgusting than a dog that does that' then I would agree with you.

No, "disgusting" does absolutely not mean or infer uselessness in any way, shape or form. If you believe that, you're in serious need of a dictionary.

"In general terms something that is disgusting wouldn't really be useful to you" – No, that's absolutely not correct. Plenty of things are disgusting but useful, such as cod liver oil, ambergris, leeches, and so on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Myran said:

No, "disgusting" does absolutely not mean or infer uselessness in any way, shape or form. If you believe that, you're in serious need of a dictionary.

"In general terms something that is disgusting wouldn't really be useful to you" – No, that's absolutely not correct. Plenty of things are disgusting but useful, such as cod liver oil, ambergris, leeches, and so on.

ho there don quixote, the internet is your friend, you do not need to win it!

6 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

ho there don quixote, the internet is your friend, you do not need to win it!

Pfft, tell that to people who ignore what is actually being written and make up arguments that haven't been made.

"Dogs are disgusting."

"Dogs are NOT useless!!11!!"

Just now, Myran said:

Pfft, tell that to people who ignore what is actually being written and make up arguments that haven't been made.

"Dogs are disgusting."

"Dogs are NOT useless!!11!!"

yawn.

perhaps a few additional exclamation marks will make your point more clearly.

pro tip: give it a rest, only you care.

27 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

yawn.

perhaps a few additional exclamation marks will make your point more clearly.

pro tip: give it a rest, only you care.

And yet here you are, continuing to argue about it without the slightest hint of refuting my points.

I simply stated that you shouldn't put words in peoples' mouths. If you don't think dogs are disgusting (about which I would agree with you), argue for that. Don't make up additional points that the original poster didn't make.