O/A visa and insurance experience today

11 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

However, till now there is not one report of an OA Visa holder entering Thailand or applying for an extension of stay based on an OA Visa, that was accepted without having to show the health-insurance requirement was met.

Pretty sure I read one report of a guy who was held up for 2 hours, but ultimately got a 12 month stamp for his Non-Imm_O-A (issued prior to Oct 31st, arrived after).  It will become clearer in time. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Pretty sure I read one report of a guy who was held up for 2 hours, but ultimately got a 12 month stamp for his Non-Imm_O-A (issued prior to Oct 31st, arrived after).  It will become clearer in time. 

Yes but if was a different IO that stamped him in for a year and he thinks he just got lucky. The IOs he talked with were insistent that he needed insurance and others have been allowed to enter for 30 days to sort out the insurance.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The turning point for me was when moderator Sheryl admitted (sort of apologized) in one of her posts that the TVF stance on Not Required for pre Oct 31 issued OA Visas turned out to be not correct.

Nothing I have said reflects an "official TVF stance".  It reflects my own thinking, no more, no less.

It is evident to me  that IOs at Suvannabhumi at least are requiring health insurance from people entering on active OA visas (not re-entry permits for existing extensions of stay!). Maybe this will change, maybe not; maybe their understanding of the order is correct and maybe not;  but it does seem to be the current reality as of now.

The Memorandum for entry point officers that Maestro provided sheds some light on this; as worded it does seem to apply the effective date as the date of entry not date of visa issuance. If so there has been a major failure of communication between Imm and the MFA and its Embassies/Consulates as all of the latter seem to have understood the effective date to relate to issuance of visas. If the intent was to start requiring insurance of anyone entering after the 31st then the Embassies and Consulates needed to have started enforcing it at once, which they did not do.  Indeed, people with already issued visas who called some  Embassies for advise reported being assurred it would not affect them.

On extensions of stay there have been conflicting reports from people who asked their local IO in advance,  and so far limited reports of people actually doing one. A  few that I have seen seem to point to it being required in the few places reported on.  This too might or might not be a correct interpretation of the order and might or might not change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Yes but if was a different IO that stamped him in for a year and he thinks he just got lucky. The IOs he talked with were insistent that he needed insurance and others have been allowed to enter for 30 days to sort out the insurance.

And is there a mechanism for them to go to domestic immigration with their new insurance certificate and subsequently get  12 month permission to Stay (from their initial arrival date)?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, el jefe said:

I'm the one who posted that I'm leaving today with a ME-OA first year Visa issued in September 2019. I'm leaving from BKK where I am now. It took an hour for them to agree to give me the Reentry permit and they told me that it may not be accepted when I return next week.  I said I'll take my chances. 

This system sucks. 

If your OA was issued in September 2019 then it is still valid which is why the issue about giving you a RE permit, and why your RE permit might not  be accepted on entry. In fact I am surprised they let you have the RE permit at all.

Would be a different matter for someone whose OA has expired and seeks a RE permit to maintain an existing permission of stay,

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And is there a mechanism for them to go to domestic immigration with their new insurance certificate and subsequently get  12 month permission to Stay (from their initial arrival date)?

I asked that very question several pages back in this discussion thread. Will they even know what you are talking about at CW? Maybe section L will handle it. Some have suggested that you have to leave and reenter with your insurance certificate to get you year long stamp at the entry point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That is a good question !!

The last 2 reports, of people given 30 days exempt to obtain insurance, has told them to leave Thailand and re-enter, presumably to kickstart the OA again ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

If your O-A Visa is still valid for entry within 1 year of it's date of issue, then it would be a new entry (not a re-entry) granting a new permission of stay for 1 year. Insurance would be required.

A re-entry permit only keeps any existing permission of stay valid.

That's correct, but there is a grey area here.

I will leave Thailand next week and will buy a re-entry permit before doing so.

My original issued OA Visa is valid till June 26, and the granted permission to stay based on that OA Visa will expire July 22.

I foresee no problem buying a re-entry permit, as the IO cannot know that I plan to return before the expiry of my original Visa.  And if he asks I will say that I plan to only return beginning of July and hence want to keep my granted permission to stay 'alive'.

But there might occur a problem when I will return from my trip next month.  Because my passport will carry an OA Visa valid till June 26, as well as a re-entry permit that keeps my granted permission to stay till July 22 alive.

Previously having a re-entry permit with a non-expired OA Visa would be senseless, because you would be stamped in for another year from the entrance date. 

However, and that's the point > my OA Visa - although not expired - is not valid anymore for entering Thailand without the new health-insurance requirement.  So they cannot let me in on that OA Visa, but I can point to the valid re-entry permit which keeps my granted permission to stay 'alive'.

The above will probably provoke some raised eyebrows from border-immigration, but I believe that they cannot deny entry on a granted permission of stay 'secured' by a re-entry permit.

Putting it differently:  If I would not have left Thailand I could stay the full granted permission of stay.  So why would exiting/returning revoke that permission when I have a valid re-entry permit?

But of course any comments are welcome if you see flaws in 'my little plan'.

• Like 1

I plan to go to the United States in April and will be getting a RE permit.  I had an O/A visa 13 years ago and have been on extensions of stay since then.  Will the IO be asking about insurance with me.  My extension of stay ends 27 Jul 19.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Imo it makes more sense not having a forced on crappy thai insurance at all if not needed. I mean, start all over with a Non-Immigrant O with 1 year extensions. 

dangerous game to play if near 75 though because if you move to O and then they migrate the policy to other classes (as they are currently discussing) one might oneself to old to get insurance and then be faced with a forced flight home anyway ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Do you understand the topic? It's about an O-A Visa issued prior to October 31,and then an insurance is not needed. 

After enquiring generally a few months ago, they said that they probably not sell me a Thai policy, because I was not sure that I would be in Thailand more than the 180 days a year.

I was looking to have, 

1. Out patients, self funded money in a debit card, which I would save into, and treat it as spent money.

2. Travel insurance to cover all my Trips here.

3. Thai health insurance policy (nothing fancy), which I could include my son on (Who is 50% covered at present).

4. Was searching for some sort of flat rate hospital IP benefit insurance (just an idea).

5. Try and make sure my credit cards have emergency available credit.

I've read other posts of people using the O-A visa as a Multi-entry visa, where Thailand  was not their only location throughout the year. My interest in the O-A was only the ME aspect (in lieu of non-O ME availability in the UK)

I was simply trying to highlight that if they are new applicants coming from overseas, especially if they do not spend all year here, how could they meet the T&Cs, to actually be insured? 1. for the application initially in home country. 2. If the were offered at the Airport. 3. They were stamped in for 30 day (30 days + time in Thailand  still not 180+).

How could they be compliant and have the insurance? (They must have changed the Thai insurance law, was the curiosity).

If the person asked to buy the insurance, does not fulfill the T&C of the policy, they may not be covered by the policy. Therefore the Thai hospital would be left with an unpaid bill. (unless the people directing people to buy it paid the bill, and would be the very folk to confirm the T&C compliance or not ???? )

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

One thing to be wary of is that many of these Thai policies do not do real medical underwriting -- for sure not the ones you can buy online on the spot as that by definition means it was not underwritten.

This is one of several "quirks" in the local health insurance sector.  Basically they wait until you have a claim and then investigate to decide if it is allowable or whether it falls into the "pre-existing" category...and is why local policies have such a bad reputation for actually paying out.  Claims in the first year especially, if not due to an accident, are likely to be rigorously investigated to see if they can possibly be attributed to something pre-existing, and sometimes the leaps of logic used to decide this are rather tenuous.  Full medical underwriting largely avoids this by making it explicit from the start what is and is not covered, but that takes time to do (and in soem cases a medical exam).

Pacific Cross does do full underwriting. AETNA might, I'm not sure. I think most of the others do not. For sure the on-the-spot folks don't. Caveat emptor.

Between the unrealistically low level of inpatient cover and the many policies that do not do full medical underwriting, plenty of what Immigration considers  "insured" people will still be left unable to pay their bill -- especially those who bought a quick policy at the airport at IO insistance.   (In their defense I don't think the IOs have a clue how health insurance works, why would they?).  I predict that the MoPH will eventually see that this "solution" does not help, but that will take time -- probably years - to play out and who knows what they will then come up with.

In effect, if one has TRICARE/TRICARE for Life, it does not matter if the Thai policy pays anything.  We only have to purchase the Thai policy because it is required to enter and extend your stay in the Kingdom.  Under TRICARE my sole liability is 25% of the bill up to 100,000 Baht, after that TRICARE Pays 100% with no pre-existing exclusions...

1 hour ago, mosan said:

I'd like to add that as a US veteran, one can use the 40/400K Thai police as the first payer. TRICARE will revert to a "wrap-around" roll. Also, once your costs go above the $3000 (100,000 Baht) catastrophic cap, TRICARE pays 100% of cost from there on.  Therefore, it's a good idea to get the cheapest Thai policy possble...

Yeah, I think you (and Sheryl) have hit upon the most practical solution, at least to the current situation: Buy the cheapest Thai policy possible and have it cover the deductible of your overseas policy (Tri-care, or Cigna or whatever).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

dangerous game to play if near 75 though because if you move to O and then they migrate the policy to other classes (as they are currently discussing) one might oneself to old to get insurance and then be faced with a forced flight home anyway ????

May i ask for valid confirmation of your above comments.

Particular (As they are currently discussing)????

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

I plan to go to the United States in April and will be getting a RE permit.  I had an O/A visa 13 years ago and have been on extensions of stay since then.  Will the IO be asking about insurance with me.  My extension of stay ends 27 Jul 19.

They will not ask it forgetting  Re-entry permit. RE permits do not entail an extension of stay, just enable you to leave and return under the existing one.

However depending on the IO they might ask it at your next extension.

31 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

One of the many questions unanswered so far. I want to know the answer to this as well. You are going to the US April. Do you plan to return before July 27th?