O/A visa and insurance experience today

45 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

Do you have to leave Thailand within the 30 days once you purchase the insurance?

my case is slightly different, I already have been stamped in for 1 year so presume if I want to avoid a world of pain sometime in the future I only need to buy the cheapest policy available and show it if I am asked 

According to the airport staff, yes I'd need to reenter with insurance to get a year stamp. But I've not actually spoken to any officials yet about this who haven't either been either confused or blinkered. Although I can extend the 30 days in town I doubt it'd be possible to re-enter and just get another 30 day stamp, though arriving again without insurance there would still be the option of buying it on the spot. Not clear at this point if insurance can be purchased to directly facilitate a stamping change at Chaengwattana.

This new hard line by airport officials is causing a lot of drama and I think immigration is going to be forced to clarify the rules before too long. Not least by the front line airport staff who can't be happy about the vagueness of the rules they've been forced to implement and the fact that practically everyone they call out on it is going be complaining. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, saengd said:

It's only been in relatively recent years that people have used the first two years of an O-A visa to get full time residence here, without needing to put funds on deposit in Thailand, at the end of those two years, those people then got a new O-A.

Why does it say  (not exceeding one year) then?

And if you have money in the bank why not apply for Non-O

12 minutes ago, saengd said:

in 2004 I went to the RTE in London and they recommended the O-A visa

Not sure how one recommendation from the UK in 2004 has any relevance to Thailand Immigration rules in 2019?  Yes times change

Again - if you do NOT want to purchase the required health insurance under the O-A, apply for Non-O seems simple enough for someone with 800K in bank here

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Ellis said:

Image was unclear, I edited it now in the post above yours. 

Sadly I was under the same impression as this chap, I thought that if the O-A was applied for and granted then it did not apply to the new rules, had I known I could have flown in a week earlier, now at a minimum it will cost me 14000, then it's getting binned , I'm married to a Thai so can get the O based on marriage, less money to tie up 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

Do you have to leave Thailand within the 30 days once you purchase the insurance?

my case is slightly different, I already have been stamped in for 1 year so presume if I want to avoid a world of pain sometime in the future I only need to buy the cheapest policy available and show it if I am asked 

You were stamped in for a year, you got lucky.  I see no reason for you to purchase insurance from the mandated list of Thai insurers unless you intend to leave the country and attempt to re-enter on the same O-A visa.  You may be asked for it then.  The person who told you via PM that you were going to be on overstay is misinformed as your permission to stay stamp clearly shows you are admitted until 3 November 2020.    

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Searat7 said:

Obvious solution is to cancel Vietnam trip, take a loss and just return to USA in February. But I would really like to go there.  Any other ideas ? 

If you do indeed get a 30 day Visa Exempt entry, that can be extended for a further 30 days at immigration. If you are still worried about the extra couple of days and do not want to overstay for them, choices are obviously..extra coupe of days in Vietnam.... apply for a further extension and receive 7 days to leave the country... leave for USA earlier. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

You were stamped in for a year, you got lucky.  I see no reason for you to purchase insurance from the mandated list of Thai insurers unless you intend to leave the country and attempt to re-enter on the same O-A visa.  You may be asked for it then.  The person who told you via PM that you were going to be on overstay is misinformed as your permission to stay stamp clearly shows you are admitted until 3 November 2020.    

I planned to leave at a land crossing in a year, move to an O visa and I saw no reason why they would ask to see the insurance at the exit point however 2 or 3 people have stated section 4 where they could revoke the original date and replace it with the new date

2 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

I planned to leave at a land crossing in a year, move to an O visa and I saw no reason why they would ask to see the insurance at the exit point however 2 or 3 people have stated section 4 where they could revoke the original date and replace it with the new date

You should do whatever you think is best for you.  I have yet to see a police order or cabinet resolution that mandates that one must demonstrate proof of insurance as a requirement for exiting Thailand.  IMO, the paranoia is getting a little thick around here.  

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

He indicated that the consulates and embassy's are not putting any notations on the O-A Visa or within the passport other than the stamp indicating the visa is for O-A long stay

maybe this is what is mentioned in the police memo about checking notations and we have over thought it (again)

maybe what it means is: IO will check the visa for OA notation and if there asks for insurance?

8 hours ago, britishjohn said:

And do you consider insurance will be needed on entry even if the OA holder has a re entry permit ? 

I still don't know if I dare take trip out of this place... quite absurd !

This question has been answered multiple times.

The police order explicitly states that permissions to stay issued prior to the effective date can remain until the end of the existing permission to stay period without insurance.

The order talks only about insurance as a requirement for new permission to stay or extension. Coming in on a RE permit is neither.

However when your current permission to stay is up and assuming you originally entered on an OA looks like you would need one of the "approved" insurance policies to get an extension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, saengd said:

"Why does it say  (not exceeding one year) then?"

Because that's how the O-A works, leave and reenter before the end of the first year and you get a second year automatically.

"Not sure how one recommendation from the UK in 2004 has any relevance to Thailand Immigration rules in 2019?  Yes times change".

This is funny....what are retirees supposed to do, check every year to see if the 2004 advice is still sound! I've extended my visa fifteen times, that's 15 opportunities for IO's and visa agents to suggest hey, saengd, you really should change your O-A for a whatever visa, because....! Even on Thaivisa Forum there has never been a thread previously to suggest an O-A visa was not the right one for a retiree. Those conversations never happened because there was never any need, even to day there's no need, the O-A remains a valid option for retirement purposes, it's a more expensive option but it's still a valid one.

Yes I could change to an O visa, I know I have options, fortunately. But my visa options was not the point of this exchange.

I agree with what you are saying. In addition to that, we are not on an O-A visa. We are on 1-year extensions of stay. I'm looking at the extension I got at CW last month. It doesn't say anything on the stamp that I originally came on an O-A. You could find that information flipping back through my passport and, of course, Immigration can see it on their computer. I just assume the O-A was expired and I was past that. I'm guessing that an extension of stay from someone who started on a non-O would look exactly the same as mine. However, strangely, it might be the case that if I try to switch to a non-O and then yearly extensions my insurance requirements magically disappear even though my extension stamps would look the same as they do now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brianj1964 said:

I think you're getting confused (not difficult given how many threads/posts there are about this).

On leaving Thailand, the IO will not do anything to your original OA Visa / Extension dates, if (s)he's friendly. (s)he may warn you that you need insurance when/if you come back on an OA, but that's it.

Different kettle of fish if your original NON-OA Visa is still valid (I don't know how you would cancel it to get a new Non-O) or if you have a Re-Entry permit (You should have no problems coming back on the terms of that), but if your leaving without a Re-Entry permit and your original Visa is passed it's "Enter By Date" then your permission to stay effectively cancelled on exit and your free to come back on any visa option open to you.

Good Luck, do let us know how you get on.

I have been told by a large trusted agent that a transfer from an O-A based on retirement, to an O based on marriage, is dooable without leaving the country, exactly why it a transfer based on marriage is not, escapes me.

1 minute ago, Langsuan Man said:

Once again typical over reach by IO's at the airport.  When I present a valid O-A upon entry into the Kingdom I don't have to provide another Medical Certificate, or proof of funds and monthly income, or proof of where I am staying.  I provided all that when I applied for the Visa.  If MFA, Immigration, or the Police don't trust the system for issuing Visa's, why bother with them.  They should force everyone to get Visa on Arrival, that way they can check everything upon arrival and have really long lines upon entry 

And the OP should take what LA told him with a grain of salt, since I find it hard to believe that they "He had only heard rumors regarding this issue until he spoke directly to me" since LA is clearly stating the documentation requirements for the insurance as required for issuance of an O-A 

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-category-o-a/

Finally,  to those posters that state that other countries require long stay visitors to have adequate insurance. I know of none that will only accept insurance policies written in their own country.  This police order once again doesn't pass the smell test since only Thai insurance companies can participate 

This is the real problem.

13 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

You seem very certain you was entered in to the Immigration database with a leave to remain date of 12 months, when the I/O's in front of you told you 30 days? IMO, you have a stamping error in your passport.
And why you would think a land crossing would be any different in applying the Police order regarding an O-A visa, I really cannot begin to imagine. That just isn't going to happen.

Re=read his post. The IO in front of him who stamped his passport was not the IO who told him he would be given 30 days.

Different IO stamped him in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, saengd said:

I have been told by a large trusted agent that a transfer from an O-A based on retirement, to an O based on marriage, is dooable without leaving the country, exactly why it a transfer based on marriage is not, escapes me.

I think you can only do that where your extension is due (i.e. when your Non-OA Visa/Extension is up you can change the reason for the extension to be on the basis of being married, obviously as long as you meet the criteria ???? ), I don't believe you can transfer mid-year.

• Like 1

Important info for Canadians: I have been in touch with a member issued an OA before the 31st but not yet departing for Thailand who has a foreign policy (Allianz) and could nto get them to issue a certificate. He contacted the Vancouver Consulate and they agreed to provide notation in his passport of insurance requirement met based on a review of his actual policy documents which he mailed them.

No guarantee other Consulates/Embassies will do the same but worth trying if you have a foreign policy and are having trouble getting the approved "certificate" signed (as most will).

And, of course, this will help only for the first 1 year entry. Still, worth exploring if in the same situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ellis said:

Here's another report. 

IMG_20191108_052608.jpg

Just to clarify - AETNA Thailand most definitely is on the approved list, as anyone can see on the website (they will not newly insure you if you are over 65 though, and will not guarntee lifetime renewal unless you enroll before age 60, though, which makes them a viable option only for younger retirees).

I can only suppose this person had a policy with AETNA International (or an AETNA branch  based in another country).

If his policy was with AETNA Thailand they would have issued him a certificate for immigration.

If by some chance he did have an AETNA Thailand policy he needs to contact AETNA at once, report the problem and get the certificate from them then return to Immigration with it.

• Like 2