O/A visa and insurance experience today

38 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

The person may have been misinformed about whether the permission to stay for 12 months was valid or not, but if it's not, it doesn't matter what the stamp in your passport says, you are on overstay.

E.g. Lets say you came in on a 30 day exempt & the IO accidentally stamps you in for 90 days, that doesn't mean you have permission to stay for 90 days & you will be on overstay from day 31 onward (Same if you came in on a 90 Day Non-O & got stamped in for a 1 year Non-OA, you'd be on overstay from day 91 onward) irrespective of what the stamp says.

It's your/our responsibility to check the permission to stay date & if you/we have any queries (as the OP had), it's your/our responsibility to follow it up with Immigration, ignorance (not meant as an offence, I can't think of a better word to use) is no defense.

The examples you cited are valid examples.  However, in the case that we are discussing, a member was stamped in for one year on a current and valid O-A visa.  That's what's supposed to happen so it isn't a "mistake".

Whether the IO should have asked for insurance or not has been debated to death in this thread but he was not "accidentally" stamped in for a year on a visa that - by definition - grants one year permissions to stay upon entry.

My opinion, obviously, and yours differs.  That's why we have discussion forums.

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Re=read his post. The IO in front of him who stamped his passport was not the IO who told him he would be given 30 days.

Different IO stamped him in.

I have no need to re-read anything to see what has happened. How do you 'Know' what was actually entered in to the Immigration database after being held up for 2 hours and finally agreeing to be stamped in for 30 days but received a stamp for 12 months?  I certainly don't need advice from you or the other so called 'Experts' that have been peddling their advice here over the last couple of weeks. Your misinformation has been astounding.

Edited by Lovethailandelite
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

A little civility, please.

I am not in any way an "expert" on visa matters and have never claimed anything of that sort. I am simply a fellow retiree posting based on my experience living here as a retiree for over 15 years and that of others I know or have read reports of, trying to be helpful, same as you and others are.

I do not think any of us have correctly predicted everything that has unfolded on this issue.

Indeed, but it would be nice to have to have an "expert" setting up a closed thread giving updates on the current understanding for all situations i.e. entry with O/A prior or post 31/10, o/a retirement extension, o/a marriage extension etc..

Actually it could make sense to open a second thread where members could post their experience(s). Only Original posts with some proof pic should allowed, and only interactions between OPs and moderators.

Hope I won't get censored for commenting on moderation, with some moderation though.

Edited by Momofarang
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, saengd said:

I've extended my visa fifteen times, that's 15 opportunities for IO's and visa agents to suggest hey, saengd, you really should change your O-A for a whatever visa, because....!

Yes, there has never been a reason until now,  and all thai nationals /IO's want you to buy their health insurance. 

You are not going to get suggestions about a Visa change UNTIL the rules change.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, UncleFesterNightmare said:

My OA which I entered here 4 years ago is exempt from this requirement?  I have now 2 retirement extensions.

I am the same as you. I entered on an OA and I am on my 2nd extension. Based on the last couple of days I am assuming that I (we) will have to have insurance to get our next extension. I have a multiple re-entry permit until Nov 2020 but I'm not sure if I will have trouble at the airport. I do not have travel plans in the next couple of months. I do have Pacific Cross insurance expiring Jan 1 and on renewal next month I will make sure I get a certificate.

5 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I am the same as you. I entered on an OA and I am on my 2nd extension. Based on the last couple of days I am assuming that I (we) will have to have insurance to get our next extension. I have a multiple re-entry permit until Nov 2020 but I'm not sure if I will have trouble at the airport. I do not have travel plans in the next couple of months. I do have Pacific Cross insurance expiring Jan 1 and on renewal next month I will make sure I get a certificate.

My OA expired 3 years ago.  That date is well before the 31st of last month.  Why do I have to show anything?

11 minutes ago, UncleFesterNightmare said:

My OA which I entered here 4 years ago is exempt from this requirement?  I have now 2 retirement extensions.

You will be probably asked to have an insurance for your next

retirment extension renewal but it's still uncertain at the moment.

What immigration office are you dealing with? At waht date is your next renewal?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UncleFesterNightmare said:

Bangkok.  Not until July.

Then you have time in front of you

stay in touch here and see how the things go with the differents reports

from the BM.

the immigration could change his view in the next months

(But i am not very optimist on this)

You can also start to think about a plan B

with a change for a 0 visa, not impacted at the moment

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

I have a non-O visa granted in 2014, and a non-RE thereafter, whatever non-RE means as it seems to be a contradiction in terms. I assume RE means Retirement Extension.

What is the difference between the non-O and non-OA visa? How does that affect the insurance requirement?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Entering Thailand with an expired OA and with a re-entry permit ( no insurance ) should gain you normal entry ( see below )

There are two versions of this. There are those on the second year of their OA visa. Their visa has expired but theY have a 1 year permission to stay and a re-entry permit for that extra year of stay. They are still living without the requirement to have money/income in a Thai bank. Then there are those who originally entered on an OA visa, however many years ago, are on a 1 year extension of stay and have a re-entry permit.

27 minutes ago, Martyp said:

There are two versions of this. There are those on the second year of their OA visa. Their visa has expired but theY have a 1 year permission to stay and a re-entry permit for that extra year of stay. They are still living without the requirement to have money/income in a Thai bank. Then there are those who originally entered on an OA visa, however many years ago, are on a 1 year extension of stay and have a re-entry permit.

You are correct, however I don’t think that border IOs are making any distinction between them.

Permission to stay with reentry or extension of permission to stay with reentry seem to be treated exactly the same, though it’s early days and there could be a change.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

6 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are correct, however I don’t think that border IOs are making any distinction between them.

Permission to stay with reentry or extension of permission to stay with reentry seem to be treated exactly the same, though it’s early days and ther could be a change.

Yes. I am on an extension with a multiple re-entry permit and I am waiting for reports from those people.

37 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What is the difference between the non-O and non-OA visa? How does that affect the insurance requirement?

At the moment for an extension based on retirement.

Initially Non-O; no insurance needed

Initially Non-OA; insurance required

of course different offices may have different views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Yes, but the actual basis of the “ permission to stay “ is the same, this “ permission to stay “ is only extended at the end of the second year.

I agree, financial requirements differentiate the two versions but ( IMO ) the IO at entry would still only see someone entering on an expired OA with a re-entry permit.

I didn’t want to complicate my earlier post with this small difference as I felt it was insignificant and my aim was to sum it up simply.

Unfortunately ☹️

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Yes. I am on an extension with a multiple re-entry permit and I am waiting for reports from those people.

Your post 

It would appear from initial experience that the insurance requirement is being applied to anyone who has entered on an OA visa no matter how far in the past.

As far as I have seen is not correct.

There are reports of people who have a current Non-OA (whenever issued) being required to have insurance.

So far I have not seen a report of anyone on an extension of stay or permission to stay issued before 31 October 2019 entering with a reentry permit being required to have insurance as you imply.

If I have missed a report (easy to do) please reference it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Your post 

As far as I have seen is not correct.

There are reports of people who have a current Non-OA (whenever issued) being required to have insurance.

So far I have not seen a report of anyone on an extension of stay or permission to stay issued before 31 October 2019 entering with a reentry permit being required to have insurance as you imply.

If I have missed a report (easy to do) please reference it.

I agree. I am waiting for those direct reports too. However, extrapolating from the BKK airport reports, the regulation went into effect Oct 31 and seems to apply to OA's obtained before Oct 31. Whether it applies to OA's obtained more than 2 years ago I am waiting to hear about though I am not optimistic these days. I was optimistic a couple of weeks ago.

1 minute ago, Martyp said:

I agree. I am waiting for those direct reports too. However, extrapolating from the BKK airport reports, the regulation went into effect Oct 31 and seems to apply to OA's obtained before Oct 31. Whether it applies to OA's obtained more than 2 years ago I am waiting to hear about though I am not optimistic these days. I was optimistic a couple of weeks ago.

The Non-OA is expired, if it expired 1 day ago, 1 year ago or 10 years ago it has still expired.

There is no reason to believe that there is going to be any different treatment.