O/A visa and insurance experience today

American, Age 70, have used O-A visas since 2006. Currently staying in BKK only 7 months a year. New O-A visa issued June, 2019. Arrival in BKK July 7. Have already decided to reduce stay to 6 months and use METV for future stays, keeping under 180 days here. 

I plan to return to USA Feb 11 which is not a problem EXCEPT THAT I have booked 6 day trip to Vietnam early next month. Returning to BKK I would get stuck with a 30 day entry permit since I refuse to buy insurance here (many reasons) which leaves me about 32 days short of my departure date to USA. I am convinced that even if I was able to get re-entry permit at airport it would probably not be accepted 9 days later when I return. 

Obvious solution is to cancel Vietnam trip, take a loss and just return to USA in February. But I would really like to go there.  Any other ideas ? 

27 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Tourists are not being asked to get insurance

So explain me that post :

the member anyone wrote :

I'm arrived to Don Muang airport 1 week ago as tourist.

Officer said I need 
1. Return ticket
2. Insurance
3. Pocket money "

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1132731-tourist-visa-without-insurance-almost-deported/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Define 'near' 

2090252950_Healthinsurance-allgroups.jpg.f18ecdae07553ab55480274d1f0fafc7.jpg

7 months have passed since the above Cabinet resoultion

IMO the repercussions ofplacing a medical cover or insurance to Non O visa holders etc  would be massive loss in revenue to the Govt. not to mention enforcing as such

Non O visa  holders do have 800ks in their bank accounts or a monthly deposit  of 65 ks per

Why chase them 

Its a win win .for all partys concerned????

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

So explain me that post :

the member anyone wrote :

I'm arrived to Don Muang airport 1 week ago as tourist.

Officer said I need 
1. Return ticket
2. Insurance
3. Pocket money "

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1132731-tourist-visa-without-insurance-almost-deported/

The member was confused.. There is no requirement for tourists or other short stay visitors to have insurance and I have seen no refusal of entry on those rounds ever posted. 

People are idiots..  

1 minute ago, deej said:

7 months have passed since the above Cabinet resoultion

IMO the repercussions ofplacing a medical cover or insurance to Non O visa holders etc  would be massive loss in revenue to the Govt. not to mention enforcing as such

Non O visa  holders do have 800ks in their bank accounts or a monthly deposit  of 65 ks per

Why chase them 

Its a win win .for all partys concerned????

Only when they extend thier permission of stay incountry.. Which is exactly the same as OA folks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

When I entered yesterday and started this thread, he told me the O-A wasn't valid without insurance he told me he would allow me in for 30 days to obtain insurance, I presume he meant a 30 day tourist visa , he told me to buy insurance and go back to immigration, he never said I had to leave and come back nor did he say he would deduct 30 days from my O-A. When I went back in the line to get the passport stamped by a different IO she gave me the year, I have to presume I was lucky or she made an error 

Sorry to rain on your parade but you are aware of Section 4 in the police order and how it pertains to entry's in the case of your scenario? Immigration have covered themselves against a mistake of giving you a longer period of stay than they should of given. You are wide open. If at a later date and for some reason it is seen that you should never of been stamped in for 12 months, the stamp and period of stay is reversed to what it of should been. You could very easily find yourself on overstay. The Onus is on you to be certain of being stamped in correctly.

section4.jpg

mutatis.jpg

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, deej said:

Why chase them 

Its a win win .for all partys concerned

once OA's extend their visa they also require those financials AND they'll require insurance

now thats win win! cha-chiiiing!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, brianj1964 said:

You may just get away with plan B, but if immigration see an exposed loophole it will only be a matter of time before they close it.

they will also notice if everyone on the O-A migrate to the O to get round the insurance and add mandatory insurance for that visa too 

Immigration wasn't behind the mandatory health insurance to start with. It was the Health Department. But Immigration has to enforce it. 

23 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

once OA's extend their visa they also require those financials AND they'll require insurance

now thats win win! cha-chiiiing!!

Unfortuately the OA visa holders  have missed the boat. 

And Non O holders are still on board.

For how  long ???

Sure . no one can answer  that????

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, justin case said:

ok, call me stupid ... if I go to neighbor country, as I have no address in my "native" homeland, no address, no bank account, nothing...   I will get a O-A  when I am 50 ?  What if I want a multi non-o ...  or is only O-A possible after 50 ?

You have to be either a national of the country or resident in the country to get an OA Visa as you are neither you would not get an OA in any country but your homeland. A single entry Non-O will probably be OK depending on where you go, multiple entry Non-Os are possible for some classes (marrage is one) at some locations and not at others.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

50 minutes ago, justin case said:

ok, call me stupid ... if I go to neighbor country, as I have no address in my "native" homeland, no address, no bank account, nothing...   I will get a O-A  when I am 50 ?  What if I want a multi non-o ...  or is only O-A possible after 50 ?

You can only apply for the O-A Visa in your home country. What you want from let's say the Thai Consulate in Savannaket,Laos is a Non-Immigrant O Visa which is extendable 1 year after 60 days at the local immigration office. IF, you meet the financial requirements. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

What happens to people age  75 and up who  are not even being provided an opportunity for coverage.  When some thing is mandatory- everyone must have the opportunity to get the coverage or if not- the requirement is waived. Absolute sinful if these people have to leave their retirement home.

For someone who is purely a retiree the answer seems obvious to me: move out to a place where you can manage a decent life end. For those like me who have strong family ties I'd expect more humanity. At least I'd have an opportunity to expose Thai inhumanity, or would it be just the epitome of xenophobia?

17 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Does a rentry permit  on an O-A issued prior to  Oct 31, 2019 waive the insurance requirement.

-Was the  actual intent of the police order to apply the order retroactively to all holders of an O-A back  decades or is the police order being interpreted incorrectly /

1) it is not at all clear if you actually have a current NON-OA VISA and have a reentry permit, if that reentry permit will be honoured.

if you are not talking about a current non-OA Visa the answer is different  and your question should reflect that.

2) The wording of the order is reasonably clear and unambiguous. It, as Udon immigration and probably most/all offices conclude, applies to all extensions of stay for retirement that originated with an OA Visa.

speculation of the intent is pointless as the wording on that point is clear.

There is no grandfather exception for insurance in the order.

There remains a grandfather exception for entry prior to October 1998.

had there been a intention to grandfather non insurance OA extensions the opportunity was there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Sorry to rain on your parade but you are aware of Section 4 in the police order and how it pertains to entry's in the case of your scenario? Immigration have covered themselves against a mistake of giving you a longer period of stay than they should of given. You are wide open. If at a later date and for some reason it is seen that you should never of been stamped in for 12 months, the stamp and period of stay is reversed to what it of should been. You could very easily find yourself on overstay. The Onus is on you to be certain of being stamped in correctly.

section4.jpg

mutatis.jpg

I will take the chance that a land border crossing won't be too stringent when I leave to to obtain the non-immigrant O when this O-A expires 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Likely your only course of action would be to hire an "agent" if you need to renew a Non-O-A, or switch to Non-O visa.  Pacific cross does allow entry up to 75 years of age, though would be expensive > 100K baht a year.  Of course you can purchase more than the "required" amount

And with Pacific Cross you can choose a high deductible up to 300,000 Thai baht which will reduce premium approx 50%

• Like 1

That this governmental edict had the potential to be unfair has been apparent for some months.Presumably the Insurance companies had been amongst the consulted advisors.

One had hoped that some sense might have been injected prior to its implementation but this has not been the case.

There are some possible lobby groups that might suffer secondary to its implementation.

The construction industry would surely suffer as retirees no longer list Thailand as a destination.

Ironically,the very industry that the edict planned to protect might also be one of the first to suffer--the health and hospital industry,particularly in holiday/retirement destinations.

The entire project needs to be rethought, but I fear this would slap egg in the face of the persons responsible for this unjust plan.

Panorama,or at least Johnathan Head could have a field day exposing the motives behind this policy.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, travelerjim said:

And with Pacific Cross you can choose a high deductible up to 300,000 Thai baht which will reduce premium approx 50%

I stand corrected by TallGuyJohninBKK and Martyp > see next 2posts.  Thanks!

Edited by Peter Denis

19 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

There are several posts in this thread stating that deductibles are NOT allowed for the thai health-insurance policies that IO accepts.

Sheryl re-confirmed overnight with Pacific Cross that their O-A-certified general public policies that otherwise meet the O-A requirements CAN have deductibles and still receive the required documentation for Immigration. Which is what Pacific Cross has been saying all along.

The documentation the insurers will provide for Immigration will only mention the total cover amounts, not anything about any deductibles, whether or not the policy has them.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

There are several posts in this thread stating that deductibles are NOT allowed for the thai health-insurance policies that IO accepts.

What we don’t have is actual reports from people with Pacific Cross policies with a deductible and who have received an insurance certificate. I have a PC policy with a deductible. The policy expires January 1 so I will be renewing next month. My agent has told me twice that my policy satisfies the Immigration policy. I will find out next month. Maybe someone will be able to report earlier.

• Thanks 2