O/A visa and insurance experience today

24 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

When when I did my O/A using the online application in the uk I uploaded my data page from my passport and it was accepted 

If your staying outside the UK and have no permanent address in the UK, no bank account, but still have a passport, do you really think your passport is a "proof of residency"? No way. 

24 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If your staying outside the UK and have no permanent address in the UK, no bank account, but still have a passport, do you really think your passport is a "proof of residency"? No way. 

I was talking about the initial application for an O/A based on retirement from London, they ask you to upload certain documents in the final page

1. Medical certificate 

2. Police clearance certificate

3. Certified bank statement showing the equivalent of 800,000 TB

4. Signed declaration 

5. Proof of residency, they asked for the data page of my passport 

the application was accepted in 48 hours, that's what the original person asked.

to answer your question about no permanent address or bank account then I don't know, it's what the Embassy in the UK asked for. Isn't that what they class as citizenship?

3 hours ago, lkv said:

It says certificate of retirement from Embassy, if you read further (Chrome Translate). Paragraph 5 in the second half of the page. This is non O for over 50 at Savannakhet.

Original text: 

หนังสือรับรองการเกษียณอายุจากสถานเอกอัครราชทูตของบุคคลที่มีสัญชาตินั้น

Screenshot_20191126-160355_Chrome.jpg

They are probably referring to Pension Statements from the Pension provider, I get them sent annually sortly after my birthday , it shows fund values on the first page

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

For the initial 3 months non imm O and 12 month extension it's 21k, the subsequent yearly extensions are 12.5k. The cost is fine if you have better things to do with 800k or don't want to play their monthly transfer game

That's expensive, I've been quoted 8,500 Baht for the start to finish process by a large agent in the North.

2 hours ago, saengd said:

That's expensive, I've been quoted 8,500 Baht for the start to finish process by a large agent in the North.

And that is cheap. Ensure you get an extension that is for the region you live in. 

(And that they do not add in the IO charges as  separate items).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

Being reported on the 'Thai Visa Advise' facebook page that Udon Thani Immigration is now handing out the following document to retirees:

D83375DE-0576-46BA-916B-20F65A514651.jpeg

The terminated is a bit of a worry!

Edited by Olmate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am having Australian and French passports, currently using the French for Thai visas and extensions. Are there places, where I could use and agent to do a Non O for marriage without me being physically present? So I could mail my Australian passport with all the paperwork and use my new Non O for reentry at the next trip abroad?

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

Being reported on the 'Thai Visa Advise' facebook page that Udon Thani Immigration is now handing out the following document to retirees:

D83375DE-0576-46BA-916B-20F65A514651.jpeg

On first glance it looks like a copy of page 8 of the PoliceOrder.

However, apart from some minor changes in the text, there is a real difference.

In the original Police Order it was stated that the OA Visa extension applicant (when meeting all other requirements) will be permitted to stay for the period of insurance coverage.

This has been omitted now, and is replaced by the text that The Health insurance must cover the entire duration of the applicant's stay in Thailand.

Looks like a case of a local IO changing the original Police Order to make it easier for themselves to implement the requirement by aligning the 1 year permission to stay with the period of insurance coverage.

46 minutes ago, Olmate said:

The terminated is a bit of a worry!

i assume they mean the permission of stay and not the 'temporary alien'!

on a side note.. it doesn't make me feel welcome at all to be classed as an 'alien' with a 'temporary stay' - know your place farang.

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

In the original Police Order it was stated that the OA Visa extension applicant (when meeting all other requirements) will be permitted to stay for the period of insurance coverage.

This has been omitted now, and is replaced by the text that The Health insurance must cover the entire duration of the applicant's stay in Thailand.

Looks like a case of a local IO changing the original Police Order to make it easier for themselves to implement the requirement by aligning the 1 year permission to stay with the period of insurance coverage.

Doesn't say "Thai health insurance"

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You can officially have migrated to Thailand and have no residency what so ever in the UK,but you still have the right to have a UK passport. So,how can that be a proof of residency in the UK? 

The litmus test as far as the London Embassy are concerned is that those of us with British passports have the right of abode in the UK. Whether or not we choose to exercise that right in practice is of absolutely no concern to them whatsoever.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Doesn't say "Thai health insurance"

Yes, I overlooked that one, but of course also quite relevant.

The original Police Order stated that you must buy a Thai health-insurance online, ... , via the website longstay.tgia.org.

The text now simply reads is required to have health-insurance.

And the reference to the website longstay.tgia.org has been pasted randomly on left-page.

Looks like the option for foreign health-insurance (with the Certificate stating that it meets the IO requirements) is not ruled out anymore at the Udon Thani IO.

35 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The other translation: https://forum.thaivisa.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=624844

Doesn't say "will be permitted to stay for the period of insurance coverage", it says "which covers the length of stay in the Kingdom", so no change here.

The only relevant document is the official police order in Thai (which the Udon office can't just change), the translation doesn't have much relevance. But the other translation was better, we can only speculate why Udon uses their own (worse) translation.

Edited by jackdd
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

For the initial 3 months non imm O and 12 month extension it's 21k, the subsequent yearly extensions are 12.5k. The cost is fine if you have better things to do with 800k or don't want to play their monthly transfer game

Which office do you use? I've read some accounts of having to show proof of 400k in the bank at 90-day reports. How is that handled if you use an agent?

42 minutes ago, Exploring Thailand said:

Which office do you use? I've read some accounts of having to show proof of 400k in the bank at 90-day reports. How is that handled if you use an agent?

You're not supposed to show any proof of money when doing the 90 days reports. 

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I have friends doing the same as you,but they have to do it, they don't meet the financial requirements. I prefer paying 1900 baht/year. 

My Extension of Stay based on original Non-Imm O-A (from 2012) ends Dec 24. I want to go to Chaengwattana tomorrow (Thursday) to attempt an extension for another year. I already have good insurance bought in Canada so I will not buy the local (inadequate/expensive/unneeded) insurance. Having gone through the many pages here I am not at all clear on how this is really shaking out.

1. Is there any consensus and/or recent reports of anyone being either approved or rejected at CW when applying for an extension based on original O-A, without local insurance? 

2. Is it a hit and miss thing where it depends on the interpretation and/or mood of the IO you happen to get?

3. Is it an evolving policy that is being changed frequently as upper management try to interpret and pass down the policy to the front line IOs?

I am trying to get an idea if it is even worth my time and expense to travel there to make the attempt. Any first hand reports welcome. Thanks in advance!

• Thanks 1

1.  The consensus is that a an "approved" Thai health insurance policy will be required in your case (for an extension to an O-A entry)

2.  No

3.  Does'nt seem to be at this point.  It seems pretty consistent at every I.O. so far

You might want to consider leaving LOS and applying for a Non-O based on retirement in a neighboring country (lots of info on this in the various threads here).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

You might want to consider leaving LOS and applying for a Non-O based on retirement in a neighboring country (lots of info on this in the various threads here).

May as well try. the worst that can happen is they refuse the extension not invalidate the current one for instance. if it fails can go get the 'O'

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

1.  The consensus is that a an "approved" Thai health insurance policy will be required in your case (for an extension to an O-A entry)

2.  No

3.  Does'nt seem to be at this point.  It seems pretty consistent at every I.O. so far

Yes, I am just surprised that there are not more actual reports of being rejected and one recent report (few days ago) I read where someone was approved with no questions about insurance. I will use the non-O route if I have to but would rather not leave the country during holiday season for that. Do you know if I can leave anytime in advance or do I have to come back in after my existing extension expires on Dec 24?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Canuck50 said:

Yes, I am just surprised that there are not more actual reports of being rejected and one recent report (few days ago) I read where someone was approved with no questions about insurance. I will use the non-O route if I have to but would rather not leave the country during holiday season for that. Do you know if I can leave anytime in advance or do I have to come back in after my existing extension expires on Dec 24?

If you don't have a current single or multi re-entry permit then you can leave anytime (at which point your current extension of stay would be terminated).  Otherwise I believe that you would want to go to Immigration (airport?) and ask them to cancel your current re-entry permit (if you have one). 

Edited by MeePeeMai
  • Like 1