O/A visa and insurance experience today

2 days ago I received an e-mail from the Thai Visa Centre in Bangkok, as follows

We have had many retirees on a O-A type visa contacting us about the new rules. It is now REQUIRED for you to have an insurance policy for one of the approved insurers here if you want to continue to have a O-A type visa.

We have been advising those who do not want, or need insurance to transition to a NON-O type visa which does not have this requirement.

If you cannot do this on your own we can help you transition to NON-O.

Edited by delgarcon
I missed something out
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

We have had many retirees on a O-A type visa contacting us about the new rules. It is now REQUIRED for you to have an insurance policy for one of the approved insurers here if you want to continue to have a O-A type visa.

What do they mean by that?

It is correct if you want to keep applying for a OA visa at embassy or consulate or to enter the country with one issued after October 31st.

On 11/23/2019 at 8:19 AM, scubascuba3 said:

i think that's unlikely, travel insurance is very cheap in comparison to health insurance and as you get older you are more likely to need hospital treatment. Every year you are 10% more likely to die

What planet do you live on?  Have you ever  seen a post anywhere on here where older folks were requesting money to be sent to a fundraising account such as Go Fund me.  The majority I have seen are from young tourist's families, yes read that TOURIST, who were here on a travel policy and violated that policy, or just did not have insurance at all.  for those of us that have had insurance and visit the hospitals here in Thailand, I for one have never had this problem of non payment.  You may need to rethink your perspective on your thoughts as to it being the fault of the older expatriates here who have necessitated this issue.  I have many friends here on "O" Visas, who want to know why someone such as myself who switched to an O-A (Yes I have the money in the bank, but this was due to now being divorced, and I travel in and out up to 4 times a year), are being treated differently then they are in regards for insurance.  So lets get real here!!!!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

What planet do you live on?  Have you ever  seen a post anywhere on here where older folks were requesting money to be sent to a fundraising account such as Go Fund me.  The majority I have seen are from young tourist's families, yes read that TOURIST, who were here on a travel policy and violated that policy, or just did not have insurance at all.  for those of us that have had insurance and visit the hospitals here in Thailand, I for one have never had this problem of non payment.  You may need to rethink your perspective on your thoughts as to it being the fault of the older expatriates here who have necessitated this issue.  I have many friends here on "O" Visas, who want to know why someone such as myself who switched to an O-A (Yes I have the money in the bank, but this was due to now being divorced, and I travel in and out up to 4 times a year), are being treated differently then they are in regards for insurance.  So lets get real here!!!!!!

To suggest it's mainly the young tourists vs elderly expats doesn't make sense. Have you been to a govt hospital? usually many elderly falang there. If it was mainly a tourist issue they wouldn't have bothered with the new OA requirement. Just be thankful they have spared the O

Edited by scubascuba3

30 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

UPDATE:  On November 22nd, I entered Thailand at Suvarnabhumi at around 11:30 pm.  As I have stated before I had received my O-A visa from the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles on October 3rd, and prior to the date of October 31st for having to have insurance.  I handed my documents to the IO at the booth, who looked at my TM6, my passport, the Visa, and then spent a few minutes looking through the computer.  He asked if I had my old and now expired US Passport to which I told him no.  He looked for a few minutes more and then stamped my passport an return it to me.  As I opened the passport up to look at the stamp, he looked at me and said "No worry, 1 year, everything is good" I smiled back at him and thanked him for his assistance.  He smiled back and moved onto the next person.  * I was not asked for insurance, nor told anything regarding needing insurance in the future*, No notations made in the passport with the stamp he had affixed.  I am now stamped in until 20 Nov 2020.  It is a ME Visa, and so I will leave late next year and return to the US for a 2 week period, before returning and getting stamped back in for my second year.  

Additionally, I took my Tabien Ban, for my condo, and my completed TM-30, to Chang Wattana and was in and out in 30 minutes with my receipt.  Again nothing said, except welcome back.  I will attempt my 90 day report online, but if that fails I will go to the Nonthaburi IO and check in there.  

I also live just next to the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH), I was thinking about gracing them with y presence one day soon after getting re-settled, and see exactly if anyone in the know can explain to me if there is to be any grandfathering in of people here on O-A's or extensions thereof.  

Hoping you all have good days ahead, and yes I have a Global Anthem worldwide BlueCross plan, and I hope this all gets rectified for all others who have been told they need a Thai policy.  Here is a photo of my Visa as proof that this report is very real.

Ryan

WIN_20191126_09_10_39_Pro.jpg

You didn't need a certified insurance because your Visa was issued prior to October 31. So, your info about your insurance is totally irrelevant. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, delgarcon said:

2 days ago I received an e-mail from the Thai Visa Centre in Bangkok, as follows

We have been advising those who do not want, or need insurance to transition to a NON-O type visa which does not have this requirement.

If you cannot do this on your own we can help you transition to NON-O.

And how can they help with the change from an O-A Visa to a Non-Immigrant 0 in Thailand unless you pay loads of money for that service? 

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

To suggest it's mainly the young tourists vs elderly expats doesn't make sense. Have you been to a govt hospital? usually many elderly falang there. If it was mainly a tourist issue they wouldn't have bothered with the new OA requirement. Just be thankful they have spared the O

Yes, I have been to a government hospital, received treatment there as well as private hospitals.  So are you saying its the government hospital who have received non-payment from the expats who have caused this?  Again I ask you to research things, before you put your fingers in gear and type rhetoric, think very clearly instead of using a closed mind.  An "O" Visa is not an option to many people, as the doors are being shut and the most appropriate Visa's are being needed.  So lets get things straight here.  Look at the embassies or consulates outside of Thailand where folks are needing to go to obtain a new visa and you will see the doors for an "O" Visa, which does not match the new requirements if life experiences change, is not able to be obtained in this day and age.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, I have been to a government hospital, received treatment there as well as private hospitals.  So are you saying its the government hospital who have received non-payment from the expats who have caused this?  Again I ask you to research things, before you put your fingers in gear and type rhetoric, think very clearly instead of using a closed mind.  An "O" Visa is not an option to many people, as the doors are being shut and the most appropriate Visa's are being needed.  So lets get things straight here.  Look at the embassies or consulates outside of Thailand where folks are needing to go to obtain a new visa and you will see the doors for an "O" Visa, which does not match the new requirements if life experiences change, is not able to be obtained in this day and age.

If you know how to read and stayed in Thailand when the discussions about a mandatory health insurance started, YES, it was only about non-paid bills at government hospitals. So,please change your attitude or get your facts straight. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

It's not about an insurance, it's about changing from O-A to a Non-Immigrant O in Thailand using an agent. 

Yes to avoid the insurance,ther,s a cost for each option,agents are offering their expertise for a cost!

24 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think it's you who needs to open your mind more and do more research before going to keyboard warrior stage. Easy to get a non imm O in Thailand, you just don't know how

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

An "O" Visa is not an option to many people, as the doors are being shut and the most appropriate Visa's are being needed.

It is an option to anyone who can enter Thailand visa exempt or on tourist visa, meets retirement age and has the funds to extend,  Cost is 2,000 baht from immigration office for the first non immigrant O entry.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

TVF member @saiber posted 3 short comments that he has a 1 year travel-insurance policy with his German insurance-company Hanse Merkur, and that he asked them to fill in and sign the thai Certificate, which they did.

However, as far as I know, he did not post a scan of the thai certificate.

Edited by saiber
wrong format

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

TVF member @saiber posted 3 short comments that he has a 1 year travel-insurance policy with his German insurance-company Hanse Merkur, and that he asked them to fill in and sign the thai Certificate, which they did.

However, as far as I know, he did not post a scan of the thai certificate.

image.thumb.png.d7a4dbb5f2079043b3ae3ca9d3ce9b7d.pngHere it is

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, saiber said:

But, will they only stamp you until the date your policy ends?  And I also wonder if they will still give you a full new year Everytime you reenter during the validity of the OA.

Edited by moontang

2 minutes ago, saiber said:

HI Saiber,

Thanks for posting this > AFAIK yours is the first thai Certificate from a foreign insurance-company stating that the policy meets the OA Visa requirements for health-insurance.

The Certificate indicates that your insurance-policy is valid from 29 May 2019 till 27 May 2020.

Could you be so kind as to answer a couple of questions on how you used it?

1. Did you do your application for an OA Visa at the German embassy BEFORE Oct 31?

> If so there was no need for health-insurance at that time, and that means you requested the certificate from your german insurer to be on the safe side when being queried on entry.

2. In case you did your application for an OA Visa AFTER Oct 31 (health-insurance being required from that date), did the German embassy issue you an OA Visa valid till the insurance expiry date (27 May 2020)?  Or did they put a comment re insurance on the OA Visa issued?

3. When you entered or re-entered Thailand AFTER Oct 31, where you queried about health-insurance?  And if so did you show them the Certificate as proof of you having thai-approved health-insurance?

Thanks in advance!

The answers to the above would clarify the use of a foreign-issued health-insurance Certificate.

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

HI Saiber,

Thanks for posting this > AFAIK yours is the first thai Certificate from a foreign insurance-company stating that the policy meets the OA Visa requirements for health-insurance.

The Certificate indicates that your insurance-policy is valid from 29 May 2019 till 27 May 2020.

Could you be so kind as to answer a couple of questions on how you used it?

1. Did you do your application for an OA Visa at the German embassy BEFORE Oct 31?

> If so there was no need for health-insurance at that time, and that means you requested the certificate from your german insurer to be on the safe side when being queried on entry.

2. In case you did your application for an OA Visa AFTER Oct 31 (health-insurance being required from that date), did the German embassy issue you an OA Visa valid till the insurance expiry date (27 May 2020)?  Or did they put a comment re insurance on the OA Visa issued?

3. When you entered or re-entered Thailand AFTER Oct 31, where you queried about health-insurance?  And if so did you show them the Certificate as proof of you having thai-approved health-insurance?

Thanks in advance!

The answers to the above would clarify the use of a foreign-issued health-insurance Certificate.

I'm always having this Health insurance. Was not asked for when Thai Embassy issued my O-A visa 2018. Last time i re-entered Thailand on 22.10.2019 on re-entry permit. Also not asked for insurance. I posted that Certificate to my insurer in September 2019 just in case i might need it later. Hav'nt left Thailand not yet after 31.10.2019 again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, saiber said:

I'm always having this Health insurance. Was not asked for when Thai Embassy issued my O-A visa 2018. Last time i re-entered Thailand on 22.10.2019 on re-entry permit. Also not asked for insurance. I posted that Certificate to my insurer in September 2019 just in case i might need it later. Hav'nt left Thailand not yet after 31.10.2019 again.

Crystal clear!  Thanks for response as well as posting the Certificate proving that it is indeed possible to convince a foreign insurance-company to sign it. 

When IO enforces mandatory health-insurance for extensions of stay based on an original OA - retirement, it would be interesting to see whether it would be accepted.  It's not thai insurance, but the Certificate states that it meets the requirements.  When accepted, that would open the door for more appropriate solutions than the thai health-insurance options.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

It is an option to anyone who can enter Thailand visa exempt or on tourist visa, meets retirement age and has the funds to extend,  Cost is 2,000 baht from immigration office for the first non immigrant O entry.

And you can also apply for a 90 days Non-Immigrant O in Savannakhet and Penang if you meet the financial requirements. And almost every country in Europe issues the 90 days Non-Immigrant O. Belgium doesn't, don't ask me why. 

15 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Crystal clear!  Thanks for response as well as posting the Certificate proving that it is indeed possible to convince a foreign insurance-company to sign it. 

When IO enforces mandatory health-insurance for extensions of stay based on an original OA - retirement, it would be interesting to see whether it would be accepted.  It's not thai insurance, but the Certificate states that it meets the requirements.  When accepted, that would open the door for more appropriate solutions than the thai health-insurance options.

My only concern would be that the form he has shown does not have the signatures of two directors, and I do not see where there is an (Or) in front of the Authorized signature box.  The consulate in Los Angeles when I spoke to them indicated all signatures would be needed, it was one of many reasons Anthem World Wide would not sign the form as they did not believe they would ever get two directors to sign a form.  If someone in the know could tell me if the form needs all signatures affixed and where it is in writing somewhere that only the one signature of the authorized signer is needed and acceptable, I would be appreciative.  This way I can ensure I have the form signed and at my disposal if ever asked to show insurance down the line. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

And you can also apply for a 90 days Non-Immigrant O in Savannakhet and Penang if you meet the financial requirements.

You need also a document certified by your embassy as a prove that you are retired.

A lot of people (Like myself) beetwen 50 and 65 years old are not retired yet

(But have the funds to live by themselves). Do you have a valid suggestion for us?

TYIA

• Like 1