O/A visa and insurance experience today

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My only concern would be that the form he has shown does not have the signatures of two directors, and I do not see where there is an (Or) in front of the Authorized signature box.  The consulate in Los Angeles when I spoke to them indicated all signatures would be needed, it was one of many reasons Anthem World Wide would not sign the form as they did not believe they would ever get two directors to sign a form.  If someone in the know could tell me if the form needs all signatures affixed and where it is in writing somewhere that only the one signature of the authorized signer is needed and acceptable, I would be appreciative.  This way I can ensure I have the form signed and at my disposal if ever asked to show insurance down the line. 

Yes, that's indeed a concern.  However, I guess that the need for those 2 director signatures should not be taken literally.

I find it hard to believe that even thai insurance company directors would do the effort to sign a Certificate for a relatively low-value policy every year.  A company employee signing it with 'for' or 'on behalf of' a director will probably be acceptable.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, that's indeed a concern.  However, I guess that the need for those 2 director signatures should not be taken literally.

I find it hard to believe that even thai insurance company directors would do the effort to sign a Certificate for a relatively low-value policy every year.  A company employee signing it with 'for' or 'on behalf of' a director will probably be acceptable.

If you are nitpicking , it states only " authorized signature " and not "authorized signatures" . Singular !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You need also a document certified by your embassy as a prove that you are retired.

A lot of people (Like myself) beetwen 50 and 65 years old are not retired yet

(But have the funds to live by themselves). Do you have a valid suggestion for us?

TYIA

When applying for a Non Imm O for retirement abroad, many (probably all) embassies/consulates require a statement that you have income from pension, effectively blocking that road if you have not retired yet.

However, when you apply for a Non Imm O in Thailand points 6 and 7 of the requirements < https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80 > state:

6. A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension); or

7. Evidence of deposited money under Clause 5 and evidence of income under Clause 6  (for one year) showing the total amount not less than Baht 800,000

>> So according to 7. it should be possible to go that road when you are not actually retired yet (interestingly the requirements do not mention a minimum age to be eligible).

@ubonjoe for sure will be able to confirm or correct me on the above.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You need also a document certified by your embassy as a prove that you are retired.

(But have the funds to live by themselves). Do you have a valid suggestion for us?

TYIA

Yes it's a problem that hasn't been answered on this forum yet. A workaround is to get a non imm O from Immigration (if they are in a good mood and feel lenient) or go to an agent 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes it's a problem that hasn't been answered on this forum yet. A workaround is to get a non imm O from Immigration (if they are in a good mood and feel lenient) or go to an agent 

Attached a link to a post from 2 months ago by Harry Abel, who outlined the steps he did take to succesfully apply for a Non Imm O Visa in Thailand, while not being retired yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes, I am in the same boat.  I have my doubts about them doing a conversion to O, internally, so you can circumvent new laws.  Anyone look at the requirements in Penang, regarding statement from embassy?  at that point, that would put the total cost of the run up towards 15000 THB, and I think I would much rather buy a local policy.  34K for 1.2 in coverage with a 20K deductible..is my inclination.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, moontang said:

Yes, I am in the same boat.  I have my doubts about them doing a conversion to O, internally, so you can circumvent new laws.  Anyone look at the requirements in Penang, regarding statement from embassy?  at that point, that would put the total cost of the run up towards 15000 THB, and I think I would much rather buy a local policy.  34K for 1.2 in coverage with a 20K deductible..is my inclination.

i am still reluctant to enter in this insurance scam

also i am reluctant to use an agent

so i try to find a way to move from my extension of stay for retirment

based on an old OA to a new O visa and an extension of stay for retirment

based on this new O visa, but it's not as easy as a lot here seem to suggest.

Beside the problem of the prove of retirement (I am not ''oficially'' retired from my country)

there is the problem of the prove of the funds coming from abroad.

The 800 000 bahts are already in a Thai bank since few years so actualy i am not able to prove they come from abroad.

Anyway my next renewal is in 11 months, i have some times in front of me trying to find a solution with the help of the forum

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

also i am reluctant to use an agent

based on this new O visa, but it's not as easy as a lot here seem to suggest.

Beside the problem of the prove of retirement (I am not ''oficially'' retired from my country)

there is the problem of the prove of the funds coming from abroad.

The 800 000 bahts are already in a Thai bank since few years so actualy i am not able to prove they come from abroad.

Anyway my next renewal is in 11 months, i have some times in front of me trying to find a solution with the help of the forum

They will not ask for proof where your money came from if it's been in a bank for years, the not being "officially" retired might be a bigger problem. But, I don't even think they ask for proof of retirement at Jomtien Immigration when converting a tourist visa or exempt visa to a 90 days Non-Immigrant O.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

based on this new O visa,but it's not as easy as a lot here seems to suggest.

Beside the problem of the prove of retirment (I am not ''oficialy'' retired from my country)

there is the problem of the prove of the funds coming from outside.

The 800 000 bahts are already in a Thai band. so i can't prove they come from outside.

Anyway my next renewal is in 11 months, i have some times in front of me trying to find a solution.

If you have no intention to extend your OA Visa at the end of your permission of stay, there is no need to keep the 800K in your thai bank-account.  So you could simply transfer the amount back abroad, and re-transfer once again to Thailand when needed for your new Imm O - retirement application.

Doing so you would have paid twice the bank transfer fee, but if you time your transfers right you might even make a profit on it.  Always the optimist...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, saiber said:

If you are nitpicking , it states only " authorized signature " and not "authorized signatures" . Singular !

Well, down another narrow lane we have gone!

Yes, no doubt there will be exceptions to the general practice of foreign companies accepting this arbitrary form devised, it would seem, by TGIA at the behest of the Immigration Department, for easy interpretation by Immigration officers who obviously would have problems evaluating even simple certificates of insurance issued by foreign firms.  And, if I recall correctly (from a MOFA web site) the certificate is ONLY good for the initial year's NON-OA issued abroad; thereafter necessary to purchase a policy from one of the accredited and listed Thai companies on the longstay.tgia site.

So, why load up this thread with all the back-and-forth?  So much clutter!

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

And almost every country in Europe issues the 90 days Non-Immigrant O. Belgium doesn't, don't ask me why

Caution!!  There are various purposes undergirding the NON-O visa outside of Thailand.  Two common examples are for "marriage" and for "Volunteering." On the other hand, "for purpose of retirement" is not universally acceptable. One has to be specific. 

Edited by Mapguy

38 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

Well, down another narrow lane we have gone!

Yes, no doubt there will be exceptions to the general practice of foreign companies accepting this arbitrary form devised, it would seem, by TGIA at the behest of the Immigration Department, for easy interpretation by Immigration officers who obviously would have problems evaluating even simple certificates of insurance issued by foreign firms.  And, if I recall correctly (from a MOFA web site) the certificate is ONLY good for the initial year's NON-OA issued abroad; thereafter necessary to purchase a policy from one of the accredited and listed Thai companies on the longstay.tgia site.

So, why load up this thread with all the back-and-forth?  So much clutter!

This is the certificate needed for a foreign health insurance. It's more than one signature.

Screenshot_20191126-141909.png

2 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

TYIA

The list of requirements I have from Savanakhet does NOT require "a document certified by your embassy as a prove that you are retired."  What proof of such a requirement do you have?

Edited by Mapguy

8 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

Caution!!  There are various purposes undergirding the NON-O visa outside of Thailand.  Two common examples are for "marriage" and for "Volunteering." On the other hand, "for purpose of retirement" is not universally acceptable. One has to be specific. 

I repeat: You can in almost every country in Europe apply for a 90 days Non-Immigrant O based on retirement.

It seems you are talking about applying using eVisa,and if you register and enter the website, you'll see that the 90 days Non-Immigrant O Visa based on retirement is available. It's the last option if you scroll down,just before the Smart Visas. 

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

When applying for a Non Imm O for retirement abroad, many (probably all) embassies/consulates require a statement that you have income from pension, effectively blocking that road if you have not retired yet.

However, when you apply for a Non Imm O in Thailand points 6 and 7 of the requirements < https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80 > state:

6. A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension); or

7. Evidence of deposited money under Clause 5 and evidence of income under Clause 6  (for one year) showing the total amount not less than Baht 800,000

>> So according to 7. it should be possible to go that road when you are not actually retired yet (interestingly the requirements do not mention a minimum age to be eligible).

There seems to be a need for something specific and focused here!  There has been another post recently that is questionable about the need for some sort of statement of retirement suggesting that an embassy must bless it with its holy water.

I believe it would be more precise to say that, in using the "[THB65k monthly] income method," an immigration officer might like to see a statement of pension benefits, but I cannot confirm this personally as I have never used the monthly income method.

Thee is the possibility that the poster has misconstrued the affidavit procedure now abandoned by the US, UK, and one or two other consulates in Thailand.

12 minutes ago, Mapguy said:

The list of requirements I have from Savanakhet does NOT require "a document certified by your embassy as a prove that you are retired."  What proof of such a requirement do you have?

From Savannakhets website, the 5:th requirement for a 90 days Non-Immigrant O based on retirement:

"Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate of applicant's nationality"

What kind of "official letter"? 

• Thanks 2

On 11/24/2019 at 3:08 PM, Thaidream said:

The Thai Social Security system does not have nicesties like shingles shots or any preventative medicine such as the American system.

Correct but they have paid out over 1 million baht for me since i was on there SS because of my working here. 

Thai Embassy London:

• Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

So having 10K in the Bank instead of pension income.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

There seems to be some ambiguity here, specific to what some consulates are prepared to do NOW.  I wonder if this reference isn't just out-of-date, especially given the US, UK, and some other conslates' declarations they will not affirm (by applicant's affadavit)  his or her retirement or the amount of retirement income.

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

But we are on extensions of OA..., can we assume we would have to leave, cancelling our current permission to stay, then re-enter on a 30 VEE? Then get a 90 from Imm?  That would beat the heck out of a visit to a consulate...might even be a nice trip up to Maesai.

Yes, and easiest way to do it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

But we are on extensions of OA..., can we assume we would have to leave, cancelling our current permission to stay, then re-enter on a 30 VEE? Then get a 90 from Imm?  That would beat the heck out of a visit to a consulate...might even be a nice trip up to Maesai.

The conversion doesn't apply to you, really. But,yes,you have to leave the country when your O-A extension expires (to kill it) and start all over with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O from for example Savannakhet or Penang,if you meet the requirements, of course. Maybe going through an agent is possible, but it will cost you. 

33 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

From Savannakhets website, the 5:th requirement for a 90 days Non-Immigrant O based on retirement:

"Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate of applicant's nationality"

What kind of "official letter"? 

The web page is:  http://www.thaiembassy.org/savannakhet/th/services/9736/106949-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O"-(For-the-purpose.html

Indeed, what kind of "official letter?"  This requirement seems dated, particularly in view of the refusal of the US, UK and some other countries in no longer affirming affidavits of their citizens as to income.

There is definitely a need for current confirmation of this requirement which seems unique to Savannakhet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The conversion doesn't apply to you, really. But,yes,you have to leave the country when your O-A extension expires (to kill it) and start all over with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O from for example Savannakhet or Penang,if you meet the requirements, of course. Maybe going through an agent is possible, but it will cost you. 

but others are saying they still convert 30 day VEE to 90 day O, at Jomtien and CW, at least.  

• Like 2