3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not for much longer.

Britty with due respect.

If so .let it be

The present Govt will pay for it  in baht (Cash) and plenty too 

Us expats do contribute to their coffers substainally every day

Again RELAX

13 hours ago, Thaidream said:

If Thailand was  smart- it would realize that  by providing no reasonable access to this change for many already in Thailand for decades  or at least grandfathering  prior O-A holders- it faces really bad publicity especially if  social media picks up  problems of aging foreigners being forced out of Thailand.

I noticed letters on the subject have been published in the Bangkok Post the past couple of days, which might signal this story is gaining traction in the print media. This is how the TM30 coverage developed too, starting in the letters section, followed by opinion and editorial columns and cartoons, and then a bit later front page news. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I noticed letters on the subject have been published in the Bangkok Post the past couple of days, which might signal this story is gaining traction in the print media. This is how the TM30 coverage developed too, starting in the letters section, followed by opinion and editorial columns and cartoons, and then a bit later front page news. 

Yeah and it sure fixed that TM30 problem !! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When was the last report of 800baht fine at eg CW. They were being posted often few months back. I did my 12 month extension Oct 8. TM30 not mentioned.

where I am its all the time.. Chiang mai fines for lacking TM30 on pretty much any interaction, even things like residence letters for car purchases etc.. 

12 hours ago, el jefe said:

I wrote a letter to the US Embassy. Their reply contained misstatements of facts and a link to the new rules. Nothing useful or even hopeful. So good luck with expecting pressure from foreign embassies to force a change.
I'm with LivinLOS. Healthcare is no more of a human right than food. I don't see anyone offering free food. And please don't reply with "homeless shelters...."

If the Embassy got their facts wrong- correct them. I already have.

Iguess you and the other poster doesn't mind that someone with no food might die or a person with no money to pay insurance or a hospital might die?  I do mind it!

People have a right to life- it's not always about money. It's also  about human compassion;  empathy; and ethics.  If normal people reject this- the World is regressing and doomed but I still believe the vast majority of people  do believe in human rights and dignity.

Edited by Thaidream
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, Hayduke said:

"Multiple opposite statements? Confusing the issue? Even when educated?" Where does this nonsense come from? It seems that a desire to be hailed as some sort of expert can be obviously more important to some than having a solid grip on the truth. Making up reasons to vent aggression when certain facts are not hailed as holy, universal divine truth, is not only silly...it's dead wrong!

Apologies.. It was user Huckenfell who was making the false trolling claims and subsequent opposite claims.. 

Unintentional.. Confused the usernames.. My bad !! 

• Thanks 1

A particular issue which, as far as I can tell, hasn’t been raised in this thread so far is that, if my understanding of the relevant Police Order is correct, an ex-OA visa holder would only be granted a retirement extension up to the expiry date of his current TGIA-approved health insurance policy - which might not necessarily be for a full 12 months. While Pacific Cross, for example, are, I gather, prepared to amend their policies to ensure consistency and alignment with policyholders’ existing retirement extension cycles, the fact that insurers in this part of the world, I gather, only commission renewals of existing policies no sooner than a month before their expiry dates might still lead to problems in subsequent years.

In particular, an ex-OA visa holder could find himself having to sail very close to the wind in getting his next annual health insurance renewal done and dusted before his current permission to stay expired (particularly if a major holiday like Songkran were to intervene). At the very least, he could almost certainly kiss goodbye to any chance of being able to continue applying for a new retirement extension anywhere near to up to 45 days in the case of Chaeng Wattana (or 30 days at most other offices) in advance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OJAS said:

A particular issue which, as far as I can tell, hasn’t been raised in this thread so far is that, if my understanding of the relevant Police Order is correct, an ex-OA visa holder would only be granted a retirement extension up to the expiry date of his current TGIA-approved health insurance policy - which might not necessarily be for a full 12 months. While Pacific Cross, for example, are, I gather, prepared to amend their policies to ensure consistency and alignment with policyholders’ existing retirement extension cycles, the fact that insurers in this part of the world, I gather, only commission renewals of existing policies no sooner than a month before their expiry dates might still lead to problems in subsequent years.

In particular, an ex-OA visa holder could find himself having to sail very close to the wind in getting his next annual health insurance renewal done and dusted before his current permission to stay expired (particularly if a major holiday like Songkran were to intervene). At the very least, he could almost certainly kiss goodbye to any chance of being able to continue applying for a new retirement extension anywhere near to up to 45 days in the case of Chaeng Wattana (or 30 days at most other offices) in advance.

I still need to ask this question but I’m pretty confident that I could renew my Pacific Cross policy early enough to still be able to apply early at CW. You pay for the full year policy up front. You would just be paying early for a policy that starts a couple of months later.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Good question.  Here is my untested plan.  My extension ends on January 9, 2020...I am on OA from 2014.  I can only extend 30 days early in Nonthaburi.  According to Clarke at Pacific Cross, I can go in advance and buy my policy.  I plan to buy it for 10 January 2020 till 9 January 2021.  Clarke says the process takes less than a week, 4 or five days if I want to pick up the paperwork at Sathorn.  So Monday the 9th, 2019,  buy the policy and pay for it..the following week get my copies and bank letters, and head to the IO.  Note, a physical is not required for me, but will for some...and there are no claims allowed during the first thirty days, no matter how long in advance you pay..the calendar starts when the policy takes effect.  It seems logical that would work, because the extension is just the new year added on to the old one..certainly seen logic fail before, though.  Holidays are 5, 10, 30, 31 December 2019...and will be working around those.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 2:59 PM, moontang said:

Good question.  Here is my untested plan.  My extension ends on January 9, 2020...I am on OA from 2014.  I can only extend 30 days early in Nonthaburi.  According to Clarke at Pacific Cross, I can go in advance and buy my policy.  I plan to buy it for 10 January 2020 till 9 January 2021.  Clarke says the process takes less than a week, 4 or five days if I want to pick up the paperwork at Sathorn.  So Monday the 9th, 2019,  buy the policy and pay for it..the following week get my copies and bank letters, and head to the IO.  Note, a physical is not required for me, but will for some...and there are no claims allowed during the first thirty days, no matter how long in advance you pay..the calendar starts when the policy takes effect.  It seems logical that would work, because the extension is just the new year added on to the old one..certainly seen logic fail before, though.  Holidays are 5, 10, 30, 31 December 2019...and will be working around those.

@Sheryl: I am particularly concerned as to what might happen to him in January 2021, when he would need to renew a synchronised health insurance policy in tandem with applying for a further retirement extension. My assertion that local insurers only seek renewals of existing policies within 1 month of their expiry date was based on my renewal experiences with my existing Luma policy.

But is no sooner than 1 month in advance, in fact, a general rule of thumb, in your experience, with renewing annual Thai health insurance policies (in Pacific Cross’s case in particular)? If it is, then it follows that retirees to whom the health insurance policy requirement is to apply will, in future, almost certainly have to wait until the last minute, by when their latest policy renewals will, hopefully, have been done and dusted (instead of turning up at their immigration offices up to 45 or 30 days, depending on the office, in advance of their current permission to stay expiring), before they can apply for fresh retirement extensions – with all the worry which that would entail for them on account of the risk of being sent away for further documents (which, conceivably, could prove impossible for them to provide before their existing permission to stay expired).

It is this slightly longer-term issue (which, as far as I can tell, hasn’t yet been raised in this and other threads) which I personally find particularly troubling in the overall context of the possible application of the health insurance requirement to ex-OA visa holders.

What do you think?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/29/2019 at 9:16 AM, BritManToo said:

Why not?

I have a Thai family and children, why shouldn't I pay the same monthly premium as a Thai?

I import enough money to support a family and household of five, and have been for the past ten years.

Cynically I must reply.... because you are not Thai. Most of your reasons are simply fluff.

23 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I talked to an agent at Pacific Cross on this issue.  They said they could terminate the current policy and reimburse you and start a new policy on the date you want to do your extension.

So the question still is.. do you need it on the day of your extension, as opposed to the day the new extension takes effect..remember, the existing one is not cancelled on an extension...the new year doesn't start until the old one finishes.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, moontang said:

So the question still is.. do you need it on the day of your extension, as opposed to the day the new extension takes effect..remember, the existing one is not cancelled on an extension...the new year doesn't start until the old one finishes.

My permission to stay expires 26 Jan 2020. Are you saying that if I apply for an extension on say 6 Jan, it will still run from the 26th ?

And so therefore perhaps my insurance should start on the 26th ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, britishjohn said:

My permission to stay expires 26 Jan 2020. Are you saying that if I apply for an extension on say 6 Jan, it will still run from the 26th ?

Yes , your extension date remains the same (26th) irrespective of the date you apply.

Unlike the 90 day report which will change if you report early or late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, britishjohn said:

Actually, your one year extension will be for the period of 27th January 2020 until 26 January 2021.  That would seem to be the period the insurance is required for, and prevent the aforementioned synchronization issues.  Logic doesn't always prevail, here, though.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes , your extension date remains the same (26th) irrespective of the date you apply.

Unlike the 90 day report which will change if you report early or late.

Correct, and the 30 day extensions are the same as one year extensions..it is added on..you do not lose any time by taking care of it early.  I may actually go ask them at my IO, which is a lot closer than the PC Office...Maybe, it is something that has not occured to them yet...otherwise, you might only get an 11 month extension.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Because after the initial confusion and the Nov 7 IO Big Boss meeting in Suvarnabhumi that clarified that it was NOT needed, there have been ZERO reports of pre Oct 31 issued OA Visa holders that were denied entry or re-entry because of the health-insurance requirement.  And the pre Nov 7 ones that were incorrectly given a 30-day Visa to sort things out and buy insurance, were contacted to have their stamps corrected by IO at their port-of-entry.

So when you enter before Jan 17, 2020 (your OA Visa expiry date) you will be stamped in for the full year that you are entitled to.

Zero reports of denial but also zero  reports of admittance on a re entry?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Zero reports of denial but also zero  reports of admittance on a re entry?

No, several reports posted on the Forum of admittance on re-entry.

A post Nov 7 report of denial either on entry/re-entry would be Big News, and there have been ZERO.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

No, several reports posted on the Forum of admittance on re-entry.

A post Nov 7 report of denial either on entry/re-entry would be Big News, and there have been ZERO.

Actually there has been one, recently.  But only one that I have seen.

Seems that on the whole  people with OAs issued before 31 Oct are now being stamped in with no mention of insurance, both first and subsequent entries. Anyone in that situation and asked about it should politely but firmly say no, that applies only to OA issued after 31 October 2019, mine was issued (date) and try to meet a more senior officer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Seems that on the whole  people with OAs issued before 31 Oct are now being stamped in with no mention of insurance, both first and subsequent entries. Anyone in that situation and asked about it should politely but firmly say no, that applies only to OA issued after 31 October 2019, mine was issued (date) and try to meet a more senior officer.

So does "people with OAs issued before 31 Oct" include people on extension of stay on ground of retirement with old OA visa (in my case late 2015) or does it mean just those still on an OA visa or its one-year extension?

7 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

So does "people with OAs issued before 31 Oct" include people on extension of stay on ground of retirement with old OA visa (in my case late 2015) or does it mean just those still on an OA visa or its one-year extension?

Referred to people entering the country on a still valid OA visa.

Entries on Re entry permit have never been an issue for any tequirement since no new petmission of stay or extension is granted when entering on a RE permit.

Rightly or wrongly it seems most Imm offices are currently requiring insurance for in-country extensions of stay if the original visa was OA no matter how long ago issued. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1