O/A visa and insurance experience today

4 hours ago, jayceenik said:

So, Thai authorities think that a  farang on a O-A stay permit extensions with 800/400k in the bank and obviously firm intention to remain in LOS is going to make a runner on a Thailand hospital bill? And get on the next flight out? Never to come back? 

Defies all logic!

As others keep saying, that group has probably the highest likelihood of dying and leaving a large unpaid care bill. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, and all that gets left behind if they can get rid of him before he becomes a burden.

Yes 

the system is well oiled

since the last 40 years a lot of thais (Mainly from the Issan area) have

made a rocket progression in term of asset owning just with that

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deej said:

Another quick and incomplete reference ^^^^

with  no  actual  Facts to  support  your view at all.

Just pure speculation.

As for myself i used the affidavits about income etc etc with supporting evidence to comply with the laws of signing the affidavit

which from memory(i can certainly be corrected) could carry a 4 yrs jail sentence if proven to be false

Your dodging quote is 

IMO 

a SLUR to myself .and many Expats who have followed the law to the letter same as myself 

It depends on the country and the person. The one time I got an income affidavit from the US Consulate there wasn't even a suggestion that I show any supporting income evidence. It all seemed ripe for abuse.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I registered and wrote here 4-5 weeks ago and had the benefit of the advise from some senior members.  So let's me wrote my own experience for others info. 

My Non O-A visa was issued on Oct 22, 2019 and noted good to Oct 21, 2020 on my passport   I had deliberately applied in mid-Oct 2019. 

Done nothing about the health insurance, I landed at BKK airport yesterday, Boxing Day 2019.  

The immigration officer at the quere took a long look with obvious facial unease and checked his mobile phone obviously for further info.  I just stood there expressionless and went through such fingerprint procedures and waited. 

After 10+ minutes,  I had heard that stamping click on my passport which was returned and let go.  I took a quick check on my passport before walking through.  Then he told me it had been stamped for 1 year stay.  Indeed he wrote the date DEC 24, 2020 on my passport. 

So Yes,  it had been all good without issue. 

Now I think many members advise is I should arrange a short trip outside Thailand around Oct 15, 2020 and returned immediately in order to max out the longest stay under O-A  visa,  that is around 21 /22 months in my case.  Is this the idea ? 

Also another question,  do I need to report to the IO  every 90 days,  say in late March 2020 and June 2020 ?    

Thanks a lot for your help.

10 minutes ago, sscc said:

I registered and wrote here 4-5 weeks ago and had the benefit of the advise from some senior members.  So let's me wrote my own experience for others info. 

My Non O-A visa was issued on Oct 22, 2019 and noted good to Oct 21, 2020 on my passport   I had deliberately applied in mid-Oct 2019. 

Done nothing about the health insurance, I landed at BKK airport yesterday, Boxing Day 2019.  

The immigration officer at the quere took a long look with obvious facial unease and checked his mobile phone obviously for further info.  I just stood there expressionless and went through such fingerprint procedures and waited. 

After 10+ minutes,  I had heard that stamping click on my passport which was returned and let go.  I took a quick check on my passport before walking through.  Then he told me it had been stamped for 1 year stay.  Indeed he wrote the date DEC 24, 2020 on my passport. 

Now I think many members advise is I should arrange a short trip outside Thailand around Oct 15, 2020 and returned immediately in order to max out the longest stay under O-A  visa,  that is around 21 /22 months in my case.  Is this the idea ? 

Also another question,  do I need to report to the IO  every 90 days,  say in late March 2020 and June 2020 ?    

Yes, a trip out and back before 21 oct 2020 should gain you another 12 months. Hopefully you will encounter an IO who doesn't think you require insurance.

Any foreigner who stays continuously in Thailand for 90 days needs to report. Your first one will be due on 25 march 2020. They will supply a slip with the next date after that. 

37 minutes ago, sscc said:

If you are looking for advice I would say no. Do not get the additional year. At least not deliberately. Of course you timed your O-A visa application so that you would not need to purchase insurance. You will eventually need Thai insurance when you apply for a 1 year extension. Why wait? At the end of your first year switch to a non-O visa. Get insurance but do it on your own terms.

You report if you are in the country a continuous 90 days. If you leave and re-enter then the clock starts again. It will depend on your international travel during your first year.

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

Insurance will not be required until he applies for an extension.

I think I said that. I’m just advising to switch sooner rather than later. He has a year to think about it. Some people wouldn’t advise getting an O-A these days but he did it anyway.

enjoy your two years, and pat yourself on the back.. No one knows what will happen, when thousands convert to O...heck, the IO even told an older us guy to convert.  Perfectly legal, but that was not the intent of the new regulation.

21 hours ago, Martyp said:

I think I said that. I’m just advising to switch sooner rather than later. He has a year to think about it. Some people wouldn’t advise getting an O-A these days but he did it anyway.

He also can have another year when he won't have to buy worthless Thai Health insurance, and he can think about that as well as saving a bunch of Baht 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sscc said:

Thanks for the report, perhaps the most recent on the subject. Good to hear they're still adhering to the executive decision they made to grant one year entry, less encouraging that it took them 10+ minutes to get there.

22 hours ago, Martyp said:

If you are looking for advice I would say no. Do not get the additional year.

Front runner for the "worst advice in the entire thread" award. 

19 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

He also can have another year when he won't have to buy worthless Thai Health insurance, and he can think about that as well as saving a bunch of Baht 

also gives 20 months+ to get your 800k over here, and a decent chance for the THB to weaken which it usually does..Of course, if you like dog and pony shows, you can prove and document your income/transfers to their satisfaction.

40 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Or he can switch to a non-O which was my original point. Given all the knowledge about the insurance requirement in mid October I think going the non-O route would have been a better choice than an O-A.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an O-A visa issued in London March 2019, before the insurance requirement cut off date. I have booked a trip to Cambodia  to coincide with the expiry of the visa and will return in time to be stamped in for my one year extension. I actually have 5m baht cover with one of the recognised companies which expires in September but I opted to forgo outpatient cover as it gave me a 20% discount, meaning it doesn't fully conform to the new requirements. Do I need to bring the policy or certificate with me to show at immigration or do I even need it at all as my visa was issued before October 30th 2019 and I am therefore currently exempt. Im sure it already been asked in here but the thread is 137 pages long tia.

Secondly assuming I dont need to show insurance for my extension my plan is upon renewal of my insurance in September to purchase just to the expiry of my extension in March 2021 and from then on to purchase a years insurance every year at extension time.

2 hours ago, Jim P said:

I have an O-A visa issued in London March 2019, before the insurance requirement cut off date. I have booked a trip to Cambodia  to coincide with the expiry of the visa and will return in time to be stamped in for my one year extension. I actually have 5m baht cover with one of the recognised companies which expires in September but I opted to forgo outpatient cover as it gave me a 20% discount, meaning it doesn't fully conform to the new requirements. Do I need to bring the policy or certificate with me to show at immigration or do I even need it at all as my visa was issued before October 30th 2019 and I am therefore currently exempt. Im sure it already been asked in here but the thread is 137 pages long tia.

Secondly assuming I dont need to show insurance for my extension my plan is upon renewal of my insurance in September to purchase just to the expiry of my extension in March 2021 and from then on to purchase a years insurance every year at extension time.

I would say that your policy doesn’t matter at this time if it doesn’t conform.

They won't look at your policy documents. If they ask for anything it will be a certificate signed by insurer saying you have a policy which meets Imm requirements which of course you don't have.

As your visa was issued before the effective date and is atill valud you should be exempt but this point is a bit unclear especially for a second entry.

If they decide you can't enter for lack of approved insurance what they will usuallt do is give you a 30 day visa exempt entry which would at least give you time to get an aporoved pilicy. Assuming you are under 75 and have no major health problems you can then buy a local policy.

39 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They won't look at your policy documents. If they ask for anything it will be a certificate signed by insurer saying you have a policy which meets Imm requirements which of course you don't have.

As your visa was issued before the effective date and is atill valud you should be exempt but this point is a bit unclear especially for a second entry.

If they decide you can't enter for lack of approved insurance what they will usuallt do is give you a 30 day visa exempt entry which would at least give you time to get an aporoved pilicy. Assuming you are under 75 and have no major health problems you can then buy a local policy.

Cool, I think I will just leave things as they are for now and in September when my insurance is up for renewal I shall add the outpatient and sync it with my extension renewal date. Worst case scenario appears to be they issue me with a 30 day exempt visa on my return which would give me plenty of time to add outpatient to my existing policy.

• 4 weeks later...

My cousin ,she is 84 ,is trying to get Visa from London to visit at end of the month she has plane tickets already

she is going to stay for 2 months,and extend that for 30 days, หลักการแทงมวยระดับมืออาชืพ

หลักการแทงมวยออนไลน์ที่ดีที่สุด 2020

will that be an O-A visa ?? ?,she will already have UK insurance cover.she has a neighbour trying to get the E Visa,but proving very difficult,if they hit her with requiring to get Thai insurance, she will never come again. regards worgeordie 

หลักการแทงมวยแบบเด็ดๆ

Edited by RatchanonWS
I want to edit

1 minute ago, RatchanonWS said:

My cousin ,she is 84 ,is trying to get Visa from London to visit at end of the month she has plane tickets already

she is going to stay for 2 months,and extend that for 30 days,

will that be an O-A visa ?? ?,she will already have UK insurance cover.she has a neighbour trying to get the E Visa,but proving very difficult,if they hit her with requiring to get Thai insurance, she will never come again. regards worgeordie

Try to get a tourist visa valid 2 months , that can be extended here in Thailand and a good travel insurance from UK.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RatchanonWS said:

she is going to stay for 2 months,and extend that for 30 days, หลักการแทงมวยระดับมืออาชืพ

หลักการแทงมวยแบบเด็ดๆ

As said that would be a normal tourist visa and no insurance is required.  What kind of UK insurance would she have to cover here?  Or do you mean she will obtain travel insurance in UK to cover the trip?

On 1/24/2020 at 8:32 AM, Sheryl said:

That's correct.  When re-entering on a still valid pre Oct 31, 2019 issued Non Imm OA Visa, border-immigration will simply stamp you in for the full year that OA Visa entitles you to.  When re-entering after your Visa validity has expired, you will be stamped in again for the remainder of your permission to stay provided you have a Re-Entry Permit that keeps that permission to stay alive.

As your visa was issued before the effective date and is still valid you should be exempt but this point is a bit unclear especially for a second entry.

After the initial confusion early November about the need for Health-Insurance when entering or re-entering Thailand on a pre Oct 31, 2019 issued OA Visa, there have been NO reports of people being queried - let alone denied - for the IO-approved health-insurance.  And rightfully so as it is not required. 

If they decide you can't enter for lack of approved insurance what they will usually do is give you a 30 day visa exempt entry which would at least give you time to get an approved policy. Assuming you are under 75 and have no major health problems you can then buy a local policy.

The issuing of a 30 day Visa Exempt entry when not being able to show IO-approved health-insurance, was practiced during the early November days when IO was totally confused about the issue.  As mentioned higher there are since then NO reports of pre Oct 31, 2019 OA Visa holders that have been denied.

If you turn out to be the proverbial case of the exception that proves the rule, and are provided with a 30 day Visa Exempt entry instead of the OA Visa entry you are entitled to, you should THINK TWICE about buying a local thai IO-approved health-insurance policy to meet the health-insurance requirement.

See attached link to that 'can of worms' >

On 1/24/2020 at 9:17 AM, Jim P said:

Cool, I think I will just leave things as they are for now and in September when my insurance is up for renewal I shall add the outpatient and sync it with my extension renewal date. Worst case scenario appears to be they issue me with a 30 day exempt visa on my return which would give me plenty of time to add outpatient to my existing policy.

Hi Jim P,

There are other - and far better - options than subscribing to the thai IO-approved health-insurance scam in order to stay long-term in Thailand with your OA Visa/extension.  Switching to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa is surprisingly simple and the requirements / conditions are EXACTLY the same for an extension from that Non Imm O - retirement Visa, than for the Non Imm OA extension.  With the exception that in that case no THAI IO-APPROVED health-insurance will be required, which will allow you to choose an international or thai insurance-policy that meets your actual needs instead of succumbing to the exorbitantly expensive and basically worthless thai IO-approved HI-scam.

I did PM you a comprehensive roadmap outlining all details/options to apply for / convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.  To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.