Help please

I would fly to Malaysia instead, then cross the border by land, probably a lot easier these days.  STay in Thailand on a tourist visa for 60 days, cross the border again to another country, stay there for a few weeks, then return. You can probably live this way for 6-8 months. 

I am always amazed at the variety of different advice and opinions on this site. Most continue to try to play the system like it was 1980 and the old days. It's pretty obvious that the thai govt is shutting down many of these options and it seems foolish to continue to suggest these options.   People trying to come longer term should try to get the correct visa type and stop playing games and stop trying to play the system    It seems this behavior is in psart why the govt is cracking down of it.    Many people on here seem to be Brits and some of the info does not match the info from the US embassy. Only a couple people seem to have good info but still advise as if I know and understand all that they know and I have never gotten a complete answer  85 to 95% with important info missinf    I have asked about visa  info several times and tried to ask several ways and for the most part get this same type of responses or info that does not match US Embassy info so it is confusing and incomplete    I am considering closing my account and finding a more useful site    I know I will get a number of people that say good see you later, that's fine but so much of the info and suggestions is not helpful. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I am always amazed at the variety of different advice and opinions on this site. Most continue to try to play the system like it was 1980 and the old days. It's pretty obvious that the thai govt is shutting down many of these options and it seems foolish to continue to suggest these options.   People trying to come longer term should try to get the correct visa type and stop playing games and stop trying to play the system    It seems this behavior is in psart why the govt is cracking down of it.    Many people on here seem to be Brits and some of the info does not match the info from the US embassy. Only a couple people seem to have good info but still advise as if I know and understand all that they know and I have never gotten a complete answer  85 to 95% with important info missinf    I have asked about visa  info several times and tried to ask several ways and for the most part get this same type of responses or info that does not match US Embassy info so it is confusing and incomplete    I am considering closing my account and finding a more useful site    I know I will get a number of people that say good see you later, that's fine but so much of the info and suggestions is not helpful. 

I would not be so sure you could find a more useful site. Ubon Joe gives clear and correct advice and is generally accepted as the "go to" person on immigration matters.

Much of the confusion you talk of is because of the lack of uniformity at Imm offices, where differing local interpretations muddy the waters for their customers.

You could engage the services of an agent if you are prepared to pay. It is their day to day business and if you are unsure about the free advice you get on this forum they may be a better option for you.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• Like 2

To the OP, don't shoot the messengers you are receiving 'on the ground' information and no people are not exaggerating about deportations.  

Things have changed since 2014 and rules have gradually become more strict. Everywhere you go and ask for something these days you get told 'No cannot'.

Just a few years ago it was ' Yes Can Do' no problem.

Times have changed and that includes living in Thailand long term on tourist visas. Its a no go if you ask me. Tourist visas are for genuine tourists - the IO's have lost trust and the rules are strictly enforced in Thailand now.

Don't shoot the messengers.

• Like 2