Applying For Retirement Visa In U.s.

Hi,

Has anyone recently gotten a retirement visa ("O-A") from the Thai consulate in New York or elsewhere in U.S.? Any complications? How long did it take to get it? Is it multiple entry or do you have to get re-entries; if latter, do you get them in U.S. before arriving in Thailand?

About the required documents listed on the NYC consulate site:

Bank statement showing equivalent of at least 800,000 -- would they accept mutual funds in that amount? Also, is it correct that when you first apply for the visa, these funds can be in a U.S. account, but if you want to extend the visa after the first year, then you must transfer the funds to a Thai bank?

A letter of guarantee from the bank -- I'm unclear what exactly that is. Do I go to the bank and say, "Please give me a letter of guarantee"? How should it be worded?

Verification that I have no criminal record -- Where do I get that from?

Medical certificate issued in the U.S. -- Just wondering if they would accept one from Thailand. It's not cheap to go to a doctor in the U.S. just to get this. Or is there a cheap way?

Of course I will also ask the consulate these questions, but it helps to hear from someone who's gone through it.

Thanks for your help, Peter DW

before i came over here about a year ago i applied at the thai consulate in los angeles.

i was refused.

now the rest of the story.

i was up against a flight deadline so had a one time shot at it. i had not tried before so was shooting blind.

i looked at the web site and tried to follow the substance of the instructions. BIG MISTAKE!

the instructions are followed to the letter at the consulate. do not assume anything!

i was not sure whether i wanted a retirement visa type 'o-a' or a non imm visa type 'o', so i sent along the appropriate paper work for the type 'o-a' and left the field in the form for 'reason of visit' blank and sent along a letter explaining that i wasn't sure whether i needed the type 'o' or the type 'o-a'.

the paper work i sent along included bank statements in usa and police clearance from local police. i further explained, in my letter, that what i intended was to go to thailand and open a bank account and then convert my visa, if type 'o', into a retirement visa. this, because i believed, that it was necessary to have the money in a thai bank before being given a thai retirement visa. and without being in thailand, it is impossible to open a thai bank account.

anyway. after holding my application and passport for two weeks and not contacting me in regards to it, i contacted them and told them i was flying in a few days and could they please return my passpaort with or without visa.

so they did. without a visa.

reason marked, because i had not filled out the field on the form, 'reason for visit'.

i was and remain angry. but now i understand. TIT and they are tits.

advice. follow the instructions to the letter. go in person if possible. do not use the LA consulate. get a type 'o' and then convert it here. i think that will be easier than trying to figure out whether they mean money in a thai bank or a usa bank and whether a local police check is sufficient or whether you need a fbi check, and whether, ... well you get the idea. if they can, and if they want, they will f-ck you over.

1. apply for a visitor's visa in your home country

2. go to Thailand

3. open a bank account

4. SWIFT money into bank account

5. apply for non-imm "O" in Thailand

6. use "retirement" for the reason - I'm not sure why another poster didn't do this

7. time for a beer

You can get a notorized statement from your local police that their "alpha files" (the term used in CA) do not contain any detrimental. When I showed this to Thai Immigration, the form was glaced at, and returned to me - it was never copied or put into my immigration file.

You can get a medical certificate at any hospital in Thailand. The cost varies.

Tourist visa for entry into Thailand, obtain non-imm-O within 30 days of expiration of tourist visa, then at end of non-imm-O, apply for extension based on retirement.

I entered Thailand on Nov 1,2006 on a tourist visa and had my one year retirement extension of my non-imm-O by the first week in January 2007.

The only valid reason I have every seen posted on thaivisa to get a non-imm-O based on retirement in ones home country was that the poster felt he would be more comfortable getting it before he left and it was worth it to him to pay higher fees, obtain the police report not required in Thailand and pay more for the medical. Thats of course, after he had to deal with a very difficult consulate.

how about new york or dc?

anyone has experience with these embassies or conulates in obtaining retirement visas?

it would seem a good idea to do this in the usa to avoid having to transfer american dollars to baht, especially now, plus one may feel more secure with a large amonut of money in ones own country and bank

perhaps there are other advantages/disadvantages of applying for the RV in the USA / Thailand

would love to hear more about this

any info would be very helpful

anyone has experience with these embassies or conulates in obtaining retirement visas?

it would seem a good idea to do this in the usa to avoid having to transfer american dollars to baht, especially now, plus one may feel more secure with a large amonut of money in ones own country and bank

perhaps there are other advantages/disadvantages of applying for the RV in the USA / Thailand

I found getting my retirement visa and mult. entry very easy in the US. What I did was contacted a lawer in TX who does immagration visa's (Texas Towers). The lawer from Houston ask me to send my passport , tax form (1099)for military, a local police check which amounted to asking over a beer and getting a leter from the police station station stating I had no wants or warrents., photo's ect I downloaded all the Thai form off of the internet prior to sending my package to TX in approx. 2 weeks passport ect was returned too me with a retirement visa and mult. entry. Did not even have to go to the embassey after that no problem here in Thailand getting yearly extensions. "oh" The medical Which was another downloaded Thai form was filled out by the VA for free........Hope this helps.

I found getting my retirement visa and mult. entry very easy in the US. What I did was contacted a lawer in TX who does immagration visa's (Texas Towers). The lawer from Houston ask me to send my passport , tax form (1099)for military, a local police check which amounted to asking over a beer and getting a leter from the police station station stating I had no wants or warrents., photo's ect I downloaded all the Thai form off of the internet prior to sending my package to TX in approx. 2 weeks passport ect was returned too me with a retirement visa and mult. entry. Did not even have to go to the embassey after that no problem here in Thailand getting yearly extensions. "oh" The medical Which was another downloaded Thai form was filled out by the VA for free........Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. Just wondering, did you find that the lawyer really helped or you could have done it all yourself? You did not mention the bank account and letter of guarantee. What did you do about that? You just go to any local police station and get that letter stating no criminal record? How long must you wait? Have to bring anything with you? I'm not a vet so probably cannot get medical certificate from VA? I appreciate your help, Peter

Peter,

Sounds like Retiredusn's lawyer may have used the honorary consulate in Houston. And I know for a fact that they have, at least historically, issued multi-entry Non Imm O-A visas. Some other honorary consulates, I know for a fact, have too -- Portland and New Orleans, to be specific. And no lawyers were needed.

Retusn's using proof of pension (his "1099-R") could also indicate that the Houston Consulate is willing to use this as support data rather than 20+ grand in the bank...... And having a clinic sign-off on your not having elephantitis or those other diseases mentioned on the Thai medical boilerplate, is maybe be all you need -- not an expensive physical.

Anyway, I'd give Houston a call and discuss your situation and, if viable, what you need to provide. They're great to deal with, and I've been using them ever since the Thai Embassy charged me the full $125 for a multi-entry Non Imm O -- but made it good for only 6 months! (reason: "[their] current policy"). Call Michel Aguilera at 713-229-0636, ext 1101. Or email Julie Richardson (she's the Vice Honorary Consul) at: [email protected]. Dealing in Texas twang is a lot easier than dealing with Vitoon Mynameuhtoolonga.

If Houston makes things relatively easy, this, IMO, is the way to go. You'll then have nearly two years in Thailand (with only one border out and in, as has been explained on many other threads) before ever having to apply for an in-country retirement extension. But if you have to deal with MFA Consulates or the Thai Embassy, it's probably better to opt for doing your extension labor in Thailand (although some have had good luck with the Embassy and the MFA Consulates -- during a full moon, I believe).

Oh, Retiredusn's info sounds a few years old, as is mine. And the rumor is that Honorary Consulates, some anyways, no longer issue O-A visas. So if you do contact Houston, please let us know what they say. Good luck.

You can get a notorized statement from your local police that their "alpha files" (the term used in CA) do not contain any detrimental. When I showed this to Thai Immigration, the form was glaced at, and returned to me - it was never copied or put into my immigration file.

The reason Thai Immigration wasn't interested in your police report is: they don't, and never have, required it. Only when applying for an O-A visa, which can only occur *outside* Thailand at a Consulate or Embassy, is a police report needed.

Thai Embassy charged me the full $125 for a multi-entry Non Imm O -- but made it good for only 6 months! (reason: "[their] current policy").

Very interesting. Seems they have come around to the two year possibility of the previous policy and now have a system allowing multi entry but that can not be used for more than one year. In this case I would recommend single entry if offered and buy a re-entry permit if I needed to travel (as the visa will only allow free travel for six months in any case).

The loopholes are closing.

Lop,

Interesting that they've locked on to the two year loophole. Surprised, however, that they would still issue multi-entry 'O-A' visas, as the simplest way to close this loophole would be to return to the original policy of issuing a "single entry" 'O-A' visa.

Edited by JimGant

• 1 year later...

Re: "Letter of Guarantee" from the bank for the Non-Imm O-A obtained in the U.S.

(from peterdw)

Hi,

Has anyone recently gotten a retirement visa ("O-A") from the Thai consulate in New York or elsewhere in U.S.? Any complications?

A letter of guarantee from the bank -- I'm unclear what exactly that is. Do I go to the bank and say, "Please give me a letter of guarantee"? How should it be worded?

Nobody answered his question about the guarantee letter. I was just going to get a letter signed and notarized by my bank officer which stated the current balance in my account. (I hope this would be enough, don't think banks like to issue "guarantees" in general).

Please advise......Thanks

I don't want to be smug or hoylier than though but this is simple enough, 800,000 in a Tahi a/c for three months or proof of pension signed by consulate etc of 65.000 per month. Why try to give yourselves grief trying to find ways round it?

It's not a kings ransom and if you do try to find a way round you probably will have a life of grief.

He is making application for an OA visa. You do that with funds in your home country bank. Nothing to do with Thailand or Thai bank accounts or trying to go though any back doors.

As to what is required you have to ask the specific Consulate involved as they do seem to have different interpretations.

fwiw

i found nyc very easy back in dec

not helpful on the phone at all

but brought in everything they wanted, listed on the website

and in no time got a one year O-A multiple entry

which i beleive could give me another year if i use it before it expires

about the criminal check

it appears these things are in regards to checking counties and local govt

so one could easily get around it

at the c.g. they didnt seem too concerned

they seemed more intererseted in the 150 cash :o

i think they did want a usa dr note and not take the thai one

i hope this helps someone

• 3 years later...

Hi guys. I am going to reopen this old thread because despite spending several hours of searching I can not find any information on this. It is absolutely amazing. I thought for sure someone would have done it before. First the story. My mother wants to come here and stay for around 5 months starting in January.

She is not interested in moving permanently, will not be opening a Thai bank account and will not be transferring any money to Thailand.

The most basic question is...what is the correct visa for her to obtain? From my understanding, it looks like it has to be a multiple entry O-A. Is this correct, or is there another option that can be used for a 5 month stay, likely with a few entries/exits to surrounding countries?

Let's assume the O-A is the correct option.

The problem with the O-A, is that the requirements are not explained. I guess the Thai embassy assumes everyone is a mind reader. I have exactly the same questions as the OP in this thread:

When you apply for an O-A from America, you need, among other things, a criminal record check and a guarantee from your bank. What are these in the USA, and where and how specifically do you get them?

Getting a bank in the USA to write anything is likely to be a nightmare, and social security does not meet the 65,000 baht threshold given the collapse of the USD. For the background check, can my mom simply stop by her local sheriff's office and ask, or does it need to be the FBI? What exactly does she ask for?

The state is Colorado if that matters.

Thank you for any assistance that anyone can provide. It seems that this question gets asked alot, but nobody ever answers.

If she's not interested in staying permanantly, and only staying 5 months, why would she apply for an "O-A"? Why not apply for a double entry Tourist Visa? Each entry good for 60 days and can be extended for 30 days @ 1900 Baht. Also, only one border crossing involved for a 5 month stay.

There is a honorary Consulate in the Denver area. Have her call and talk to the lady there should be able to get a double with a good explanation of her travel plans and visit. If they will not issue double have her call Portland the lady there is very helpful .

The only problem I have found with Denver is a lack of creativity in issueing visas they stick to the one entry tourist visa unless you have a very good reason for double as your mom does.