Encouraging Thais to stop using single-use plastic bags

rooster59

Saddly this Nation will never ever stop their need for ''take away food in plastics''......if you doubt that,,take a few minutes and watch a street vendor and the amount of plastics and foam , with out a second thought it is just normal behavior 'they see nothing wrong with this'' ...it is an absolute disgrace...one TFV member I messaged,thinks it is their cultural right to use this amount of plastic....sad sad sad

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Not sure if there is one but if there is you can bet Villa Market is not on it. 

Went there yesterday to buy a few items at the Ploenchit Centre. The checkout chick put three items in one medium size bag and then put a single item into a small bag. I removed the single item from the one bag and put it in with the others.

As an expression of Villa Market's gratitude for my thoughtful action this little charmer gave me the evil eye scowl of death. Such is the manner of Thai customer service.

And where was your multi use shopping bag?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevin612 said:

Get ready to bring a cup and a bag whenever we go out in 2 years.

A cloth bag , snap lock container or 2 , knife a spoon and a fork..they sell sets that fit neatly in your back pack...HOW HARD IS THAT ?????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

It's all matter of 'thinking outside the box'.

Yes you get it and it's one of the main part of the problem here in Thailand.

Everybody live day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, and rarely think

to the next hour, so i can hardly imagine each thai thinking to take his own

bag with him.

Anyway i can't wait to see how all the 7\11 and street vendors are going to deal

with this. Are they going to be able to resist to the ''pressure'' of their customer base demand?

• Like 1

There are over 50 7/11s in Udon Thani and over 30 in Nong Khai. They all hand out plastic bags all say long. If this nonsense about plastic bags really takes hold there will be closures.

I'm all for drinking my coffe out of banana cups and eating my noodles with reusable chop-sticks, but how many TVForum members feel as enthuiastic as me.

Until the farang show the way, the Thais will not change their ways. It's not impossible to change Thai thinking; difficult, but doable. I have managed it with the wife; well sort of, over rubbish disposal. 

• Like 1

This is purely profit motive for retailers.  No plastic bags means that they no longer have that expense on their balance sheets which means higher profits.  And they get to pat themselves on the back as being responsible stewards of the environment for propaganda purposes. Bonuses for the execs.

Again, if the government was actually serious about the problem they would ban single use plastic outright.  Do you see a ban?  Nope! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Not sure if there is one but if there is you can bet Villa Market is not on it. 

Went there yesterday to buy a few items at the Ploenchit Centre. The checkout chick put three items in one medium size bag and then put a single item into a small bag. I removed the single item from the one bag and put it in with the others.

As an expression of Villa Market's gratitude for my thoughtful action this little charmer gave me the evil eye scowl of death. Such is the manner of Thai customer service.

This begs the obvious question.  Why didn't you, as a conscientious and thoughtful citizen, put it in the re usable cloth bag you always take with you when you go shopping?

We always bring our own bags shopping and never had the death stare yet, and best of all no plastic bags.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1