Video: I ain't going anywhere! Furious Farang knocked down on Zebra Crossing refuses to budge

webfact

How would this topic read if this guy had been hit and killed? 25 pages and more of more jokes about Thai laws and drivers? And saying what an idiot this guy is/was for expecting drivers should have stopped for him? Of course if he was dead no one could know what he expected. Then the speculation would start about him being drunk or whatever. Pretty sad  about something like this and the discussion that ensues. I do agree he had no business sitting there like a angry child though.

50 minutes ago, essox essox said:

READ THIS.....
Unofficial Translation ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, B.E. 2522 (1979 ...
http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Road_Traffic_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf
10 Jul 2019 ... the Council of State of Thailand's Law for ASEAN project. ... (12) “Pedestrian crossing” means the area provided for pedestrians to walk across ...

Yes, that's the same version I've been searching.

It still doesn't state (from what I can find) anything about vehicles having to give way to pedestrians on, or waiting to cross at a pedestrian (zebra) crossing.

TiT.

Most things here are for show, and for show only. No one gives a <deleted>. That is the backward, child-like mindset of far too many here, but is to be expected.

Zebra crossings aren't observed by most drivers here, just like the rules of the road are generally disregarded by most.

This western guy is a bit of a tool for reacting in this stubborn and petulent manner, but I can understand his frustration. He's probably new to Thailand ????. Won't resolve anything this way, better off taking the forced apology and stalwart wai from the <deleted>**t driver and getting on with his day. Unless he is genuinely in need of medical attention and then of course he could claim on her insurance / his own, if that's even an option.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker

Probably the only pedestrian crossing I use regularly is the one across Sukhumvit Soi 16 where it enters Ratchadapisek Road. Mind you there is also a stop sign there for soi 16 to stop. So, as I attempt to cross soi 16, the drivers ignore both the zebra crossing and the stop sign. What I've found to be extremely satisfying for myself is to tap the rear quarter panel of their car as they squeeze past me with my knucle. This absolutely infuriates the vast majority of the drivers and I find it hilarious to watch them ranting and raving as they drive off.... so the experience can be somewhat satisfying.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fhickson said:

I loathe speed bumps with a passion. They are only used in Thailand because it is impossible to get Thai drivers to obey speed limits any other way.  And as much as I hate speed bumps, I built 2 of them on the road outside my house. It is a constant irritant to me every time I go anywhere...and I put them there. I had to. It was just too dangerous otherwise.

Apologies to fhickson.  That wasn't your quote but the 'system' thinks it is!

You are not allowed to build your own speed bumps.  Some individuals did just that here. The tessabahn removed them and charged the creator for the removal!

21 hours ago, Pilotman said:

as indeed are many farangs brains who come here. If you don't pick up on the danger marks around here you won't last long .  Good example are the number of tourists who rent bikes here, without a licence, experience, training or insurance.  Stupid in the extreme so it's not the Thais that have a monopoly on stupidity, far from it. 

on the road they are NO.1 for road deaths in the world due to their attitude

when they drive whether it is a car or a bike. not stopping is breaking the law and the reason they do it is they know nothing will be done to stop  them. this bloke was hit on a pedestrian crossing by a women breaking the law , and then a police man tries to move him, i have done a little bit of first aid and I remember ''do not move the injured party'' until he has been examined ? so no wonder he got a bit stroppy.   

3 hours ago, OOTAI said:

That's not true, I am an Aussie and have never called them anything but "crosswalks".

Really?

I have never heard that term used in Australia in my life-all sixty -latish years of it.

Pedestrian crossing (formal) zebra crossing (informal)

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

We have to face facts here in Thailand. Every time we venture out we could come a cropper.

Ripped apart by packs of dogs. Mowed down on the road by drink drivers. Committing suicide by falling out of condo windows. Death by excessive somtam feasting. Going permanently missing. Dangerous snakes. Wild elephants stamping on our heads. Poisoned by greedy wives. Mosquitoes. Catching deadly diseases by swimming in the sea. Being bored to death by Thai BS. And lastly, being suffocated by a one-tine-use plastic bag, that is blowing in the wind and covers our face while we sleep.

But some love it here! Get the back to Brexit land.

• Haha 2

This has been an education, wading through all these pages, but at the end of the day, the Thai Road Traffic Act clearly puts the responsibility of crossing the road safely on to the pedestrian. Vehicles are not required to stop for pedestrians, however, they also cannot hit them with the front of their vehicle. I always mistakenly assumed that that the common law around the world applied, i.e. that the vehicle must stop for a pedestrian in a appropriately marked section of road designated for pedestrians to cross the road, applied here. but it doesn't...

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Coming from Pattaya, you will know that prostitution go go bars are illegal too. How many there would like to see the laws enforced?

Your argumentation gets dumber by the minute really!

You either have laws - then they should be enforced!

Or you don't have laws!

But having laws, who are then enforced willy- nilly...is that one of the "cultural differences", you were babbeling on about, earlier?

And pray tell: if I am a tourist, coming to Thailand and I am willing to google "(traffic) laws in Thailand"...should I then also google "(traffic) laws in Thailand and if they are enforced actually"?

What did you do, before you came here for the first time?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/14/2019 at 1:32 PM, richard_smith237 said:

And you fell foul of lazy police looking for the path of least resistance because you caved. 

In similar circumstances anywhere else the police would try and get the car driver to pay because they assume the car driver has more money and the motorcycle will have no insurance. 

All you had to do was say no - Bike fault ! - there are lots of stories on here where the foreigner has taken the blame, in nearly all of them they took the blame and hit for the damages because they were soft - their ego would never admit this, but that's the way it is. 

I am soft. I am a foreigner here. I have lots of money. The Thais who live around me have very little. I don't mind paying a little more here and there than a Thai. I am just grateful for the opportunity to live here, and I've lived here for almost 20 years now.

• Haha 1

If you feel a crossing is being abused, take out your smart phone a video crossing filming in the direction oncoming vehicles. if a car or motorbikes travels across while you are on the crossing email it to the traffic police, you never know they may follow it up and if fined you get some of the cash!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RikDao said:

Poor man is obviously mentally ill. He needs help. 

In the US, he would have been forcibly removed quickly enough. Just how fast depends on the city of course, of course.

In L.A., he'd be gone in a New York minute.

But in the US the traffic would have stopped ànd he wouldn't have been standing there arguing

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Yeah...right!

There is a zebra-crossing, known in the real world, for making it easy and safe for pedestrians, to cross a street!

How in the name of Jesus is it a "cultural difference", to be checked before I go to Thailand?

Should I also check, if a red light or a stop sign mean "stop"?

If you are driving, of course. The laws about turning left at a red light are different to UK, for example. I heard rhe US or/and Oz are the same as here.

If you are from the US or European countries, maybe you need to look up the law about driving on the correct side of the road. Most people however norice these differences after one day on the roads.

3 hours ago, ExpatOne said:

Passive aggressive farangs are funny. I love the ones that scream as a way of working around communication problems like speaking louder helps people understand a language.

I also enjoy watching the ones that throw temper tantrums like children because Thais don’t operate like they think they should. 

Cross cultural issues as a whole can be entertaining.

So true. I know guys who have lived here for 10 years and can't  hold a conversation.

I have a simple test to find out if they are just here to take advantages from the country, with no interest in integrating due to a superior feeling. Integrating involbes learning the cultural nuances, which means you must learn the language.

I ask them what month it is, in Thai.  It's  amazing how many dont know, rven language tracherd.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you are driving, of course. The laws about turning left at a red light are different to UK, for example. I heard rhe US or/and Oz are the same as here.

If you are from the US or European countries, maybe you need to look up the law about driving on the correct side of the road. Most people however norice these differences after one day on the roads.

I'm not sure what you're talking about but in the US we drive on the right at most red lights unless it is posted you can turn right after a full stop I thought over here that since they drive on the left you could turn left after a full stop

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Just curious. Has anyone mentioned that a pedestrian at a crossing has to wait until the traffic has stopped before crossing. That way they won't get knocked down.

Many of these types would rather be run over than adapt  to the local inferior ways. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fred white said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about but in the US we drive on the right at most red lights unless it is posted you can turn right after a full stop I thought over here that since they drive on the left you could turn left after a full stop

I thought you called a full stop a period. 

That's  what I meant, you can turn at a red light.

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Okay...remind me, how in this case, the tourist was driving across the zebra- crossing...

Man...seriously...

3 hours ago, ExpatOne said:

Passive aggressive farangs are funny. I love the ones that scream as a way of working around communication problems like speaking louder helps people understand a language.

I also enjoy watching the ones that throw temper tantrums like children because Thais don’t operate like they think they should. 

Cross cultural issues as a whole can be entertaining.

You mean screaming don't help I thought it did lol ????