Pattaya boomtown! Tourists throng Walking Street! But where are the farangs?

webfact

Strange indeed, I live in Bangkok on Soi 11.

Out running errands yesterday I was quite surprised at the number of "western" tourists around, generally 20 to 35, many female, many couples. 

Thai wakepark is chocker with visiting foreign  wakeboarders, and I have more friends through this season than in recent years. 

Tourist come, but not for Pattaya it seems

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The farangs came for the girls, pure and simple, and now the bar experience is <deleted>, so they ain't going there anymore.

Well done officialdom, you screwed it for everyone.

I have been living here for more than 20 years and I have to admit that am not a bar goer. But I see more and more bars every year and endless ladies waiting for customers. The military government even has extended the opening times here in Pattaya. So what went wrong? 

Edited by Beggar
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, petermik said:

They walk up and down...usually following someone with toy on the end of a stick...they do not spend anything in the bars/entertainment venues..then back to their chinese owned hotels :thumbsup:

My Thai friends here in Samui who work the Walking Streets around the island say exactly the same thing; lots of looking and picture taking, no buying.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

Strange indeed, I live in Bangkok on Soi 11.

Out running errands yesterday I was quite surprised at the number of "western" tourists around, generally 20 to 35, many female, many couples. 

Thai wakepark is chocker with visiting foreign  wakeboarders, and I have more friends through this season than in recent years. 

Tourist come, but not for Pattaya it seems

Seems that way. I shop in Villa and Emporium sometimes, after coming in from Phra Khanong. There seems to be quite an uptick in the number of tourist faces on Suk from Asok to Phrom Pong. Lots more of those faces on the BTS, particularly families. Also, an English bar and an Aussie bar on Pridi 2, near where I live, have livened up considerably just in the last week.

I posted in another thread after a recent week spent in Pattaya how much more lively it was in certain bars on LK and Buakhao. I do think some month-long visitors are back. But I also think it will be a short burst. 

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

It is called "Walking Street" for a reason. Unfortunately the tourists that are currently visiting are taking the name too literally.

Might be time for a name change.

-> "Pattaya Fun Street"

All entrances gated, 500 Baht per person. 400 Baht usable as voucher in all venues and it will be so quiet :cheesy:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1