Tatoos and long hair?

gtr

If you look like a hippie, they will not let you enter Thailand. At least the airports have this policy. Why don't you cut your hair and wear normal clothes, and your tatoos would not be a problem, until you take off the clothes... ???

From what ive seen in pattaya long hair tatoos not a problem, as a tourist you can have hair as long as you like. The only place i heard had a problem with long hair was singapore and that was back in the seventys what makes you guys think you need short hair to enter Thailand?

Morgan :o

Thailand generally not a problem for long hair in fact only last week government changed some of their length requirments -re dicates for school kids.In the bad old days of the 70s places like Saudi Arabia and indeed Singapore would cut your hair on arrival at their main airports before you could get into the country.One incident in Al khobar (S.A.) circa 1976 involved a couple of of the local Mutattwa (as salam-holy police)who grabbed a young English guy in the street and started to chop off his hair with a pair of scissors.He of course objected and during the struggle the scissors accidently slipped.....yep.The law there says an eye for an eye etc. so the Mulla holding the scissors had to get  the big lop.I never actually witness that particular execution but was "invited"to be present at others-Friday-main square after prayers....Yuch.

At least after that they never bothered much about long hair.

:ghostface:

• 3 weeks later...

Getting a bit off topic...

Here in Jeddah about 12 months ago a young Philipino guy had his locks trimmed by the Mutattwa in the street. I seriously doubt that they would get away with doing it to a Kawaja (farang) though these days.

what makes you guys think you need short hair to enter Thailand?
Perhaps the below taken from current international airline travel requirements site has something to do with it.
THAILAND (TH)                    

ADMISSION AND TRANSIT RESTRICTIONS: The government of

Thailand:

1. may refuse admission to visitors:

- of  hippy  appearance with long, untidy and dirty

looking hair,

- dressed in an offensive manner, e.g. only singlet or

waistcoat, shorts, silk pants, slippers or rubber/wooden

sandals, unless part of a national costume;

2. does not recognize passports issued by the Palestinian

Government;

3. refuses entry to nationals of Afghanistan. However, they

may use TWOV facility in 2."Visa" 5.

Timaticweb Version 1.3

08 June 2003

Nice one Lopburi, nothing like quoting the rules at them.

Funny I should just get it that Brian is living in Jeddah, Brian I was 10 years in Jeddah. I worked in KKNGH, just wondered where you are ???

Ref;JEDDAH..Ditto.I did some work there in the 70s on the Airport,The Meridian and Novotel,the Sports complex opposite the Caravan shopping centre (is it still there) and one or two little wiring jobbies at Tabuk (RSAF)and even a blacked out bus run into Mecca.Always remember long hot fridays on the beach at 29 palms with a case of pepsi,couple of roast chickens(bottle of Sid) watching all the ladies in their guiness bottle outfits having a swim. :o

Mmm, now this has got a bit off topic hasn't it...

The caravan souq is still there. The old airport isn't though. Did you work on the old airport or the newer one? The old airport is now a public road. Its quite strange to drive on a road where each lane is as wide as a landing strip (but at least the locals can manage to stay in 1 lane..).

I think that the newer airport was built in the 80s, north of the ring road. (maybe the ring road wasn't here in the 70s.) Its about 45 minutes from the city centre to the south terminal and about 60 minutes to the north terminal.

Jeddah has expanded dramatically even in the 8 years that I've been here. I'm sure that you wouldn't recognise much at all.