Sprite get the ‘all clear’ as Coca-Cola does away with green bottles

snoop1130

Sprite get the ‘all clear’ as Coca-Cola does away with green bottles

By The Nation

800_d543ae3786850df.jpg

The Coca-Cola Company today announced an important new initiative to boost recycling of Sprite bottles in Southeast Asia, thanks to a shift from green to clear PET bottles which are far easier to recycle. The company will begin the transition this month in the Philippines, the largest market of Coca-Cola in Asean, and expand to other markets in Southeast Asia through 2020, Belinda Ford, Public Affairs, Communications and Sustainability Director, Coca-Cola Asean said. 

The switch in Southeast Asia follows a similar move in Western Europe, where the Coca-Cola system is well underway in changing the colour of its Sprite bottles. The change is one of a growing number of initiatives as the company pursues its global World Without Waste goals.

Coca-Cola made the announcement on November 14 during SEA of Solutions 2019, the first annual partnership week convened by SEA circular – an initiative from the UN Environment Programme and the Coordinating Body on the Seas of East Asia (COBSEA), with support from the Swedish Government. 

Held from November 11-14 at the UN Conference Centre in Bangkok, the conference brought together more than 500 representatives from governments, business, academia, youth and community groups for a series of dialogues on plastic pollution solutions for Southeast Asia.

The announcement was welcomed by Ashwin Subramaniam, founder and chief executive of GA Circular, a circular economy action and advisory company focused on driving the circular economy in Asia. “Our research in six countries across Southeast Asia has shown that a change from coloured PET to transparent PET greatly increases the value of the plastic in the after-use market and therefore its ability to remain in a circular economy and be used again and again for different purposes. Phasing out the use of coloured PET beverage packaging is a key recommendation in our new report on accelerating the circular economy for post-consumer PET bottles in Southeast Asia and we applaud the decision by Coca-Cola to make the switch.”

Sprite has been sold in iconic green bottles in Asean since the drink was first launched in the Philippines in 1968.

“We all recognis that packaging waste is a major, urgent issue, especially in Southeast Asia,” Ford said. “This is a solvable problem and, together with our partners, we’re taking action now across Asean to be part of the solution. There’s still a long way to go, but we are determined to deliver a World Without Waste, where the equivalent of 100 per cent of our packaging is collected and recycled.”

Coca-Cola’s global World Without Waste goal is to help collect and recycle a bottle or can for everyone that it sells by 2030.

Coca-Cola also said it will partner with companies across the industry to help accelerate packaging collection and recycling rates in a sustainable way. The company pledged at the “SEA of Solutions” event to work with industry peers to establish Packaging Recovery Organisations (PROs) in Asean, with Vietnam’s first PRO set to become operational in early 2020 and other countries to follow later in the year.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378366

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-15

15 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The number one plastic polluter in the world. Good to see they are trying something.

What the world should do is stop drinking sugary drinks. It's bad all the way around.

It does not help that Thailand is taxing non sugary, non-alcoholic"beers" as alcoholic drinks

17 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The number one plastic polluter in the world. Good to see they are trying something.

What the world should do is stop drinking sugary drinks. It's bad all the way around.

No, the number one plastic polluter in the World must be people that cannot dispose plastic in bins, and preferable the right bins so recyclable plastic is recycled...????

Why are sugary drinks bottles more harmful than plain water bottles?

I like a Waitrose brand of water from the UK that until very recently came in 2L plastic GREEN bottles....  Almost impossible to find any local Thai recyclers in BKK who will accept green plastics. They only want clear....  Why green plastic is a problem here for recycling, I don't understand.

And the OP article, as yet another kind of company news release published by The Nation, doesn't really explain why green plastic is a problem for recycling.

46 minutes ago, khunPer said:

No, the number one plastic polluter in the World must be people that cannot dispose plastic in bins, and preferable the right bins so recyclable plastic is recycled...????

Water can come from a tap

22 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I think you are dreaming. Even areas where tap water used to be considered safe, it's not becoming unsafe.

Do you drink tap-water here in Asia, and Thailand?

I live in a small village I have my own filtration system. So yes my water comes from a tap. 

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I live in a small village I have my own filtration system. So yes my water comes from a tap. 

Yes, but it's filtered, so not really tap-water.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've mainly lived in the UK and Thailand.

Tap water was fine to drink in both countries.

Wow, you drink from tap in Thailand...????

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

because they are less necessary 

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

because they are less necessary 

It's water with salts and sugar – your body need both, however the sugar might be overdosed in some of those drinks. So if you drink same amount of bottled water instead the bottles are Okay?

6 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Lots of people do, and If I lived in the city I would.

Google says:

Although the water that is produced by the water authority in Bangkok is perfectly drinkable when it leaves the plant, it will usually travel through old, dirty and broken pipes before it reaches your tap. ... Your best bet in Bangkok is to keep yourself hydrated by drinking bottled water rather than tap water.

image.jpeg.54b9c030e855b3344590cb6246587d31.jpeg

Can I Drink the Tap Water in Bangkok?

7 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It's water with salts and sugar – your body need both, however the sugar might be overdosed in some of those drinks. So if you drink same amount of bottled water instead the bottles are Okay?

I don't want to make this about nutrition

but please allow me to respectfully  disagree, both salts and sugar can be safely and easily obtained through normal daily nutrition. Sugary drinks are totally unnecessary for that purpose.  I have not have a "sugar water drink" for at least 35 years maybe more, and trust me when I tell you I have no salt or sugar deficiencies.

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I don't want to make this about nutrition

but please allow me to respectfully  disagree, both salts and sugar can be safely and easily obtained through normal daily nutrition. Sugary drinks are totally unnecessary for that purpose.  I have not have a "sugar water drink" for at least 35 years maybe more, and trust me when I tell you I have no salt or sugar deficiencies.

Yes, the subject is about plastic bottles, and I cannot see why plastic bottles from bottled liquid without sugar – mineral water includes some salts – are more correct than plastic bottles from bottled liquid with sugar. It's not about nutrition, you said.

Just now, khunPer said:

Yes, the subject is about plastic bottles, and I cannot see why plastic bottles from bottled liquid without sugar – mineral water includes some salts – are more correct than plastic bottles from bottled liquid with sugar. It's not about nutrition, you said.

They are not. they are more necessary , It would be great if all would be eliminated, but we start with what we can. 

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

Me neither, doesn't matter if my fluid intake is sugared or not (or alcohol-ed).

I still need a plastic bottle to transport it.

Archived