Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

Sad in the village since yesterday.

The lady next door to us died. She was 42. It seems that she had a liver problem, although getting info is difficult. She was jabbed up but started deteriorating a few months back. I saw her up close on Monday when I went to her mum's shop for something. She looked terrible. I wanted to speak to her, but couldn't.

Food being prepared.

900855415_01death.png.6d8836f7255ee5b0ff8c3867b8cc19df.png

Some big mekongs on the menu.

34139652_0111mekongsdead.png.5524c9b12d77b9ed042870af44334a14.png

Soi closed.

459772917_11death.png.b105aa00097870616d9e156b8715c7be.png

Not sure of the programme. Maybe today; later.

• Like 2

It's incredibly sad to hear these regular stories of youngsters drowning here - sometimes multiple deaths when they try to help their mates.

When I visit my wife's village I see a lot of fish ponds with very steep muddy banks. I imagine it would be difficult for a child to climb out.

Growing up in the UK we spent a lot of summers playing in canals, rivers, and reservoirs unsupervised, but I can't recall any drownings (although I do recall a few drownings of kids caught in tide currents at the beach, even with their parents nearby). I guess the difference is that most of us could swim. Is there such a thing as public baths here?

• Like 2

Owl, I was in the large car park in Bandung early one morning after dropping off my granddaughter for school, and I noticed a few of the large double bench style school mini trucks parked nearby, the drivers on a mat on the ground enjoying breakfast. 

Behind the car park, near the exercise park, as no doubt you've seen, there are loads of pick-ups, small trucks and vans parked all day for ferrying students to Ban Dung in the morning and back again in the evening.

It made me think, do the drivers hang around in Ban Dung all day? Looks like it to me though it must get pretty boring. Perhaps they're rubik cube, chess, hi-lo or dominoes experts, passing away the time 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Be careful with that Frenchman Owl, his name only comes up when troubles afoot...

You are not wrong there HP.

The less we hear from him the better. But ya never know what way the cookie will crumble.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bannork said:

I really wanted to go to the monthly market but my daughter decided to give birth this morning so I've been hanging round in front of the delivery ward at the hospital. She already has three sons, a boy named Mangkon ( dragon), a girl named Maree, ( my choice, she was born at Sri Racha near the sea/ marine, Mawin ( named after a lotion for aching muscles produced by a student I taught for 22 years) and now Mawel, named after Captain Marvel. Not a good choice in my view, Thais will shorten it to wel and as l is pronounced as n at the end of a word, it will become wen, too near to wain imo  which has bad connotations in Thai- wain kam- bad luck/ karma .

She rejected Marty or Martin!

Oh well, so far so good, both mother and son are doing well 

Congrats are in order Bannork. Also to daughter and new-born.

I like the name Apple for a girl. If another came along I'd call her Apple Lesley ??? If  a boy I think Jasper.

Will be off to Ban Dung - via the farm - in an hour or so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Don't think the drivers are interested in chess or Rubik Cube, but they do like a game of bowles;  I think it is akin to the French game 'boules'. They play in the corner opposite the bus parking area. I've never played the game, but the idea is to smash a little while ball with a big metal one from about 15 metres away. Vous will know. I'll ask him.

Pétanque or Boules is popular near me ( Ayutthaya ) , there’s a place near the old city where they have several “ courts “ and regularly have competitions, also a lot of old sets for sale at the Grand (flea)Market.

We used to go on holiday to France when I was a kid and my parents were Boule mad !!, you could buy a set of plastic balls and fill them with water or sand from the beach, ideal for travelling.

The idea is to get closest to the small white ball and putting backspin on means you can stop it dead in its tracks, sometimes landing on the Jack or cochonnet ( piglet ) as frenchies like to call it .

” By the 1920s, the growing popularity of boules in France created a demand that could not be satisfied using the available supplies of natural boxwood root, which were beginning to disappear. Paul Courtieu and Vincent Miles had the idea of manufacturing a ball made entirely of metal. Avoiding steel-based alloys (which were too hard and rust-prone) they developed an alloy based on aluminum and bronze, and (in 1923) patented a metal ball made of two welded-together hemispheres. “.  Wiki.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Pétanque or Boules is popular near me ( Ayutthaya ) , there’s a place near the old city where they have several “ courts “ and regularly have competitions, also a lot of old sets for sale at the Grand (flea)Market.

We used to go on holiday to France when I was a kid and my parents were Boule mad !!, you could buy a set of plastic balls and fill them with water or sand from the beach, ideal for travelling.

The idea is to get closest to the small white ball and putting backspin on means you can stop it dead in its tracks, sometimes landing on the Jack or cochonnet ( piglet ) as frenchies like to call it .

” By the 1920s, the growing popularity of boules in France created a demand that could not be satisfied using the available supplies of natural boxwood root, which were beginning to disappear. Paul Courtieu and Vincent Miles had the idea of manufacturing a ball made entirely of metal. Avoiding steel-based alloys (which were too hard and rust-prone) they developed an alloy based on aluminum and bronze, and (in 1923) patented a metal ball made of two welded-together hemispheres. “.  Wiki.

Thanks for that Andy. Interesting. Lidl had sets for sale one year in England. Cheap they were. Didn't last long on the shelf. Popular.

Could it be an Olympic sport in the future? After all we have synchro swimming - which started out a men's sport -  and all that horsey stuff. I think darts and snooker too.

Wasn't there a drive to make 'sex' an Olympic sport a few years back? There was a UK television programme called "This is the year of the sex Olympics - sex Olympic year." I remember it well. Not that I'd be in favour of anything like that. But then again; artistic gymnastics could be merged in. Perhaps I'm over-thinking.

• Haha 2

In our village at the base of the Yorkshire Wolds ( sounds impressive), we had a tennis court, occupied in the summer months by the able bodied ranging in age from teens to late fifties. I enjoyed many a moment as a ball boy, admiring the ladies' tennis skirts as they flicked upwards hitting a return volley 

Next door was the bowls club. A perfectly kept lawn with shiny, heavy black balls plus the target, a small white ball. In the summer it was abuzz with the over 60s, they loved it. Looking back the long winter must have been a real drag, there were no community activities to compete with this.

And being on the edge of the Wolds, winter arrived early and left late. Only later on did I realise that spring arrived earlier in the Cotswolds whilst winter announced itself later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannork said:
1 hour ago, bannork said:

Welcome to Ban Dung, Mawell. You don't know it yet but you've arrived in one of the best districts in Thailand. Fresh air, plenty of space, no traffic jams and hospitable people.

received_1523881164702856.jpeg

Also dry as a bone. But you'll not let that bother you for the next 20 years.

Fantastic!!!

Thanks for sharing Bannork.

Good luck to all concerned in this new life.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Silly old farang, go back to pulling your cube apart and putting it back together… ????

Sorry Owl ????

????

You are bang on the money as usual HP.

Can I look into the future? Wish i could; but no! So why did I jump forward a couple of days in the last Owl Log? For anyone reading the post and adjusting their watch, thinking it was two days out; it is the 6th today, not the 8th. Sorry! Very sorry!

The American Mid-terms are not today. They are on Tuesday. That's Wednesday to us clued in people.

Can't wait to get my new cube. Being Thailand Speed Champion on the Rubik Cube would really give Mrs Owl something to brag about round the village.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't know the answer to your question, sorry. are they any good ? been thinking about getting one.

I bought mine over three years ago.

Only recently has it gotten a little dull. Tried to sharpen it the same way as a metal knife; with a electric stone. Definitely got sharper, but not as good an edge as when I first bought it.

Read on the internet a couple of years back that they were best 'chemically' sharpened. That poster suggested using vinegar, and leaving the knife in the solution for 24 hours. I've not tried that as yet. Not sure if it would do any good anyway.

But going back to your question GT. It was on a special in Big C; wish I'd bought two more.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Ive just googled it, there are such things as ceramic knife sharpeners.

I'll take a look too.

Not that I'm keen to spend dosh sharpening a knife that only cost me around 50  baht. I'll keep trying things; but I will have a butchers though.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1