Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

7 hours ago, d4dang said:

How are your avoes doing?

They are doing just great.

Have three at the farm. One looks big enough to give fruit soon. The other two are a couple of years away. The house ones are growing fast.

222694589_11bigavoes.thumb.png.3b101e6d0646cd26281c79dee90bc6f6.png

Keep saying I'll move them to the farm; but no progress as yet. The biggest one is about 3/4 or an inch in diameter at the base.

144391579_111bigavoes.png.71d861375acbdf56515803707bc32cc8.png

Went to check on the price of stone on the way to Ban Dung yesterday.

Crushed stone - as in concrete mix - 650 baht a load.

small stone - what is used to make blocks - 650 baht a load.

Coarse sand - 350 baht a load.

Really I'd like a bit of each. Our road has not seen much maintenance in the last 12 months.

I'll get some pics posted later in the week.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have a large tin of those biccy's as well, bloomin delicious ????

Tried a lot of bikkies here. This is the only one I have now. My favourite by far.!  But to get the best taste from them, there has to be  cup of rosy at hand.

Edited by owl sees all
m into M
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, bannork said:

I doubt Mildred will be going to school tomorrow Owl. It's a public holiday, a day in lieu for today, the anniversary of Rama 5's death.

Party time all over Issan at present, the end of Buddhist Lent and the rainy season, so annual village merit making ceremonies/ parties and ทอดกฐิน giving robes to monks. 

Going back a few years our village would have morlam concerts most weeks at one house or another to make merit. But frequent fights between youths meant the sexes had to be separated when dancing. Finally, even that failed and the nightly concerts were banned. Now they seem to happen in the day  

I'll get her to check that Bannork. Wouldn't want to get up at 6am for nothing.

You are right about the concerts. Not a great fan of them myself. The music is just so loud. What with the Lao Khow and the music, it would take me all next day to recover.

Went to a daytime concert at Kham Chanod about 12 years ago. A big fight broke out between a couple of youth groups. I had Mildred with me, and beat a hasty retreat.

Edited by owl sees all
T

Owl wrote:

Started up my urine thing again yesterday. Keeping it a secret from the Mrs. But she could get a benefit, if all goes to plan.”

Be careful Owl !

Mrs Owl may have a different interpretation of a benefit to her… 

You might have a twinkle in your eye, she may be dreaming of supplementing the Kois food supply and unfettered handbag shopping !

????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

Owl wrote:

Started up my urine thing again yesterday. Keeping it a secret from the Mrs. But she could get a benefit, if all goes to plan.”

Be careful Owl !

Mrs Owl may have a different interpretation of a benefit to her… 

You might have a twinkle in your eye, she may be dreaming of supplementing the Kois food supply and unfettered handbag shopping !

????????

You are right of course HP.

Have to see what transpires during the next week or so. Since that Gucci handbag a while back, Mrs Owl has not mentioned that she needs a new one. Moved onto gold instead. As she informed me last week; "only need half baht for four baht," Dear me!. Have these people never heard of saving?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

You are right of course HP.

Have to see what transpires during the next week or so. Since that Gucci handbag a while back, Mrs Owl has not mentioned that she needs a new one. Moved onto gold instead. As she informed me last week; "only need half baht for four baht," Dear me!. Have these people never heard of saving?

I’m laughing but crying too Owl.

Mrs HP is the Queen of hand to mouth financing and that’s been a particular sticking point this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I’m laughing but crying too Owl.

Mrs HP is the Queen of hand to mouth financing and that’s been a particular sticking point this year.

Most Thais that I know owe money to someone; banks, finance compaiies, money lenders. Their dosh is accounted for week in week out. Mrs Owl is different. We owe a few baht for a loan taken out on the pick-up to help the useless daughter Nan. But apart from that she don't owe nout.

It disturbs me that I have to be sneaky with the money. Hide some here and there. Cause if she sees it, she will want to spend it.

On what? Wasting it in my book. Easy come - easy go, I guess.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bannork said:

I doubt Mildred will be going to school tomorrow Owl. It's a public holiday, a day in lieu for today, the anniversary of Rama 5's death.

Mildred did check last evening about going to school. It's on; at least for her school.

Went to the pick-up point with her this morning at 7-00. Not many children in the bus. Gonna pick her up from Ban Dung when she calls later on the dog and bone.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Mildred did check last evening about going to school. It's on; at least for her school.

Went to the pick-up point with her this morning at 7-00. Not many children in the bus. Gonna pick her up from Ban Dung when she calls later on the dog and bone.

Sorry about that Owl. Being a public holiday I would have thought the school would be closed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bannork said:

Sorry about that Owl. Being a public holiday I would have thought the school would be closed.

I agree Bannork. Don't think it is a day for learning. More like sorting out books and cleaning the classroom.

I'll find out what it is all about when I pick her up later.

4 hours ago, bannork said:

Got the phone call from Mildred at 9-45. So she was finished within two hours. Went to pick her up in Ban Dung.

All it was, was collecting a few books from the book store and cleaning the classroom. Back proper tomorrow.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bannork said:

Talking of Rubik's cube, my ten year old grandson proudly got all the colours in line. Unfortunately he left it in the floor. My youngest grandson, nearly two, picked it up, pulled it here and there violently till all the pieces scattered around the living room to join parts of other destroyed toys, a plastic toy car's chassis, a doll's severed arm, etc.

Mawin, the toddler, is starting to become expensive, not only regarding food but in damages incurred.

He slammed my laptop shut, thereby destroying 30% of the screen's pixels - cost of replacement 3,300 baht 

Butter removed from fridge, used as floor polisher - 82 baht 

Washing powder tipped into bath- 80 baht 

Then there's the mayhem, taps turned on that nobody hears for a while, ( gas cooker is his latest challenge) , attempts to relieve air pressure in the car tyres by playing with the valves, placing objects in the exhaust pipe. 

He's bright, he knows which button to press on the remote to pass over the frequent ads on YouTube on the telly.

Time to get a kite from the Big C junction at Ban Dung, the kids will enjoy flying one in this wind 

I was never like that little lad. Not officially anyway.

He needs to have some puppies or kittens to occupy himself.

My new cube shattered on Friday evening. Don't get that much quality for 20 baht; even in Thailand. Mildred put it back together for me. I'm good to a point - that's getting the last four corners - not gone beyond that yet. Going to farm now. Cube will have to wait.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 1

Owl, are the rats cooked for you to take away or are they to be cooked at home ?

Ive seen them nicely skinned in the market at Phon Phisai but I didn’t buy one for mum to cook, and MrsHP hasn’t touched one since her early teens.

I had a melanoma removed from my foot on Thursday so I’m a little restricted in my movements at the moment.

Find yourself a GP (at least) to check your skin once a year please people, melanomas don’t fork about with you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DJ54 said:

School hasn’t started here near Kumphawapi…. Starts Nov. 1… guess they needed 31st off for Halloween… 

Kumphawapi!

I know it well. Get a lot more rain in the areas south of the Sakon Nakon highway.

A friend of mine was teaching in a school there. Was involved in a nasty accident. He was unhurt, but his vehicle was a mess. I've got some pics. I'll post them.

Is Halloween on the 31st? I thought it had passed.

• Like 1