Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

42 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Do you ever  see them? I had 4 but never  see them, understand they are  bottom feeders? They are in with other  fish, Tilipia, Silver  Barb, Jaramet, and normal catfish, they went in at 5 inches  long, havent seen them since 2-3 years ago? Maybe dead?

When the mekongs were in pond 6, there were just a couple that would come the surface. The most I counted at any one time was 4 or 5. I thought they had been half-inched. We netted the pond about 18 months ago because of a big tree that was about to fall across the pond (I'll put a pic in next log entry), and was shocked to get all 19 back. We put them into pond 5, which is deeper, clearer and has more aquatic life.

There were two that had grown much bigger than the others. and now they are well over one metre in length; and the smaller ones were about 80/90cm (now about 1.1 metres), but not fat.

I'd bought 20 some 7 years ago, and gave one to my mate Ron for his pond.

They are hardy fish, and I reckon they are still in the pond gunderhill. You might be surprised at how well they have progressed.

As or the mekongs themselves; they do not like shallow water. In 2 metres plus depth, they cruise about, from close to the bottom to mid-water, taking in tiny aquatic animals. But really they go where the food is pleniful; just depends on their environment. They are not natural surface feeders, and when we see them at temple ponds we tend only to see their lips, and eyes.

I only see mine at feeding time, when they dominate the other fish, for the food. Easily spooked though. I've been well splashed by fish 5 metres away.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

On 11/20/2019 at 10:23 AM, Assurancetourix said:

Each family can be very different.:thumbsup:
In the village where I live, there are my parents-in-law or rather my  mother in law because my  father in law passed away a year ago at the age of 84 years.
There are also two  sisters and a  brother in law; the other  brother in law is an engineer in a big German company in Rayong.
If I want to see my  mother in law, I have to go to her house at 500 meters.
For my  brother in law who lives at 50 meters, it's almost the same, either he is in his plantation of heveas or in his rice fields ...

And then we have four small dogs and four cats;
dogs can enter the house but not cats that live in the garden and often in those of neighbors, especially the two males!

Yes as I said a living version of hell lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Great thanks, I  have 5-6 metres  in places and  shallower  parts  at about 1.8m so  hopefully  one  day  Ill see them.

5 metres! Wow! I have only 3 at best at any time of the year.

I'm sure you will see them; one day. Have to feed them with a floating pellet. They will soon realise it's food.

Edited by owl sees all

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Fantastic!

My biggest is 35kg from Bansumran.  Mrs Owl caught one weighing 33kg from the Pattaya fishing park. A long while ago now (12 years).

SN850013.thumb.JPG.eea958de205c883c6bbc0cfde16d8e42.JPGSN11.thumb.jpg.a3e2e738a2092a760b754c19e90e6d15.jpg

Hooked it at 17-50 and landed it in the dark at 19-05. Note the harness! I caught a 7kg common carp on the same day.

There was a decent fishing park at the end on soi 14 or 16 in Jontiem. I heard it had been filled in to create a bungee attraction; anyone?

On 2nd Rd. I was there 3 years ago.

5 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Do you have shop outlets such as Asia books? What are the costs and remuneration for authors. Good luck.

No, we decided not to go down the paperback road (save the trees and all that) therefore our products are in e format. Remuneration for authors is something we discuss. We believe in being fair with everyone!!!

Not really supposed to announce this yet, but we have a scoop, which is a series of true stories written by a Thai prison volunteer! Coming soon, as they say!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, geronimo said:

No, we decided not to go down the paperback road (save the trees and all that) therefore our products are in e format. Remuneration for authors is something we discuss. We believe in being fair with everyone!!!

Not really supposed to announce this yet, but we have a scoop, which is a series of true stories written by a Thai prison volunteer! Coming soon, as they say!

NZ grows trees to make paper. Not all trees on the planet are old growth natives.

Personally I don't "read" books on the internet. I have to go somewhere to get an internet connection, and when I get there I usually spend the time on TVF. I read books that I can carry around, put down, pick up, as the situation changes.

Your brave new paperless world applies only to people with internet connections.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

NZ grows trees to make paper. Not all trees on the planet are old growth natives.

Personally I don't "read" books on the internet. I have to go somewhere to get an internet connection, and when I get there I usually spend the time on TVF. I read books that I can carry around, put down, pick up, as the situation changes.

Your brave new paperless world applies only to people with internet connections.

well it is the future and when old codgers like us shuffle off this mortal coil, everything will be digital. I am not ruling out producing a paperback version, although it would have to be something special.

3 minutes ago, geronimo said:

well it is the future and when old codgers like us shuffle off this mortal coil, everything will be digital. I am not ruling out producing a paperback version, although it would have to be something special.

What interests me is that people think everything will proceed on a straight line development, ie industrial revolution, computers, digital society. I think major problems await us due to overpopulation, potential world war, pestilence etc.

Colorado schools are closed due to an "unknown" virus- Gaia strikes back. In any event, rarity of the raw materials necessary to create the digital society make it a dream at the moment. Most of the planet's rare earth come from?????? That's right, China!

Anyway, I hope I'm dead before it happens. I have no wish to have my life controlled by unknown pimply kids running the computer programs that will rule everyone in a digital/ cashless society. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Well I wish you luck. Ill look out for your stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What interests me is that people think everything will proceed on a straight line development, ie industrial revolution, computers, digital society. I think major problems await us due to overpopulation, potential world war, pestilence etc.

Colorado schools are closed due to an "unknown" virus- Gaia strikes back. In any event, rarity of the raw materials necessary to create the digital society make it a dream at the moment. Most of the planet's rare earth come from?????? That's right, China!

Anyway, I hope I'm dead before it happens. I have no wish to have my life controlled by unknown pimply kids running the computer programs that will rule everyone in a digital/ cashless society. 

Sadly, there's no stopping the snowball rolling down the digital mountain ....... As for being dead when it happens, it already is! Your life is already integrated with ones and zeros (posting on this forum) and there's little we can do but embrace change.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Smart elderly people in positions of power arrange for youth to die on their behalf or impoverish them into maturity and responsibility. We rule,  have the best education, best work ethic, best life experiences etc. We are tougher, more resourceful,  more adventurous,  more fearless . Modern kids are just mard, essily led, gullible.

Edited by sunnyboy2018
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Smart elderly people in positions of power arrange for youth to die on their behalf or impoverish them into maturity and responsibility. We rule,  have the best education, best work ethic, best life experiences etc. We are tougher, more resourceful,  more adventurous,  more fearless . Modern kids are just mard, essily led, gullible.

I'm guessing every generation says that!

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Modern kids are just mard, essily led, gullible.

To be fair, the present day take no risk, everyone is equal, no winner/ losers society made them that way.

We got caned if we didn't toe the line, but we were able to experience danger and learn from it.

BTW, I was pretty easily led too. Took me 60 years to understand that being married or in a relationship is not actually necessary to have a good life.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Sadly, there's no stopping the snowball rolling down the digital mountain ....... As for being dead when it happens, it already is! Your life is already integrated with ones and zeros (posting on this forum) and there's little we can do but embrace change.

Sadly, I know that, but they haven't yet managed to do away with real money, though they are trying hard to do so. The sheeple have no idea of the control they are giving to unknown people when they use cards instead of money.

When they finally get the cashless society ( hopefully after I'm dead ) we are all screwed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Have you not heard of ebook readers? I've been reading my kindle everywhere for the last nine years with no problems, it's about the size of a thin paperback, the screen looks the same as print on paper only you can light it in low light situations and you only need an internet connection when you load books on it which I did 3000 at a time...

Glad to see some of us old codgers are wired in! Like it or not, the future is digital!!

Edited by geronimo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bannork said:

This isn't the thread to put it on Andrew, it's too long. Actually that was the first chapter of my second book which I had finished when my publisher had a stroke. I managed to convert it into an ebook format but I'm come stuck on the cover. I haven't got the computer skills for that. Anyway, I've just seen an earlier poster saying he is a publisher so I'll drop him a line.

That is I Sir, and yes, I would love to take a look at your manuscript! (I have given up stroking)

Edited by geronimo
  • Like 1