Family-Owned Thai Restaurant in Texas Gets Racist ‘Speak English’ Note From Customer

rooster59

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Why is it sickening? The USA doesn't have an official language. Is there something wrong with Spanish? Would French bother you? 

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-is-the-official-language-of-the-united-states.html

When was the last time you were back? In California it is just plainly too much. I don’t mind other languages but when it is overkill it just does not sound pretty being everywhere out in the open having to hear it. If I want to hear Spanish spoken all the time I would go to a Spanish speaking country. Get it? Same as in San Francisco area is now a huge proliferation of Chinese people getting to be everywhere. But Spanish spoken by Latino or Mexican people in California is now everywhere as they are the ones who take all the common jobs in every area. Almost seems they are taking the USA back as seems the ratio is larger than the others. Just my opinion and cannot do anything about it. And I can speak some Spanish, so it is not the point. Can also speak thai, but that is a necessity. Not a racist at all but it does get to be overkill in public.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moonseeker said:

You must have a very specific taste of music. Agree with ???????? but being woken up early morning by the screaming Isaan madams next door would not pass the first round of GB got talent.... 5555555... Just kidding.... MS>

Japanese is quite nice. Korean and Chinese are ok too, especially when soft spoken.

South East Asian languages make my ears bleed. Just terrible. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, yogi100 said:

How is American even slightly different from English let alone totally?

Their difference in spelling is the first thing that comes to mind.  

"He talks really good".   Does that suit as an example?

• Confused 1

Languagism! :stoner: Seriously, what happened to "The customer is always right"? If the language proficiency of the table waiter were a serious issue w/r irritating the customers, for example, what should the management do? I don't believe the answer is not to "raise prices" in response when business is dropping off due to things like this.

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

US is now land of too much Spanish being spoken out in the open. Just sickening really. I hardly see a problem with them at their restaurant where the real problem is Mexicans and south of the border people taking over. Well also in California the Chinese are also taking over. US land of stupidity. 

Not long and Spanish will take over. 

Let guys like trump then Tweak in Spanish.

" Uno grande cerveza per favore."

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

US is now land of too much Spanish being spoken out in the open. Just sickening really. I hardly see a problem with them at their restaurant where the real problem is Mexicans and south of the border people taking over. Well also in California the Chinese are also taking over. US land of stupidity. 

Double post, my apologies. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

9 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

People who dine out at various cultural eateries, to experience 'exotic' tastes, demand authenticity, whether it be Chinese, Mexican, Indian or whatever, yet, when faced with those who would provide that very authenticity they complain.  Obviously they spoke enough English to communicate with the customer so what's the problem! 

Absolute racists.

• Confused 1

On 11/23/2019 at 12:33 PM, BritManToo said:

How was the note racist?

Notes can't be racist. It was written by a racist who was stereotyping someone or group of people based on their perceived physical differences involving race. How does the note writer know whether the Thai speakers were born outside the US or are not American citizens? Someone can  in the US and speak a foreign language at work. If they're white one might assume they were born in the US. But if they're Asian looking, then they must have been born in Asia? That's not necessarily true, but it's racist to assume so. I went to university in Texas, thank god i was white (still am) coz i saw racism every waking moment for 4 years. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, car720 said:

Their difference in spelling is the first thing that comes to mind.  

"He talks really good".   Does that suit as an example?

"He talks really good" is a sentence in the English language and with English spelling!

3 hours ago, Penefattore said:

can't be a hoax , no Thai can possibly write such a long sentence without any spelling mistake.

I think there's a spelling mistake above. If you use any with countable nouns such as mistake the noun should be plural- mistakes.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

This kind of malignancy is now the rule rather than the exception under Trump's racist regime, and is one reason I left America. It's terribly sad and disturbing, this is not the America of my parents' generation, WWII veterans. If you reverse the circumstances I can't imagine Thais ever doing that to a farang who is otherwise respectful and well behaved. Many Thais still think America is the land of opportunity and want to go there, unfortunately I often have to burst their bubble by telling them the truth about attitudes toward immigrants and such. 

Thanks for your post. I totally agree with you and Thais would not go that far, they just tolerate people who live here 15 + years, but can't have a simple conversation. 

I've just read a post of somebody who was so upset about all the Mexicans speaking Spanish.

They do take jobs what an American wouldn't do. Does that make them to bad guys then?

If Mexico would be the wealthy land, how many Americans would be in Mexico?

You can't choose where you were born and blaming these Thai people for not being able to speak proper English is just written on a napkin.

Maybe they do speak English, but one employee misunderstood a guy's oder?

It's racist when somebody tells you to go back where you came from, there's no doubt about it.   

• Like 1

Americans get bashed on thaivisa  site constantly, and nothing is done about it, Americans are tired of it, these lil Yank Bashing Cliques are never criticized or Banned or Suspended, I’m particularly exhausted with the tolerance given to the bashers , I don’t see any difference between that note and the behavior of a certain clique on here....

• Like 1