More secrets of China's Xinjiang camps leaked to foreign media

snoop1130

More secrets of China's Xinjiang camps leaked to foreign media

fdgre.PNG

FILE PHOTO: The Chinese national flag flies outside the mosque at the Xinjiang International Grand Bazar during a government organised trip in Urumqi, Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous Region, China, January 3, 2019. REUTERS/Ben Blanchard/File Photo

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Classified Chinese government documents made public by an international group of journalists describe the repressive inner workings of detention camps in Xinjiang, in a second rare leak in days of secret files concerning the troubled western region.

The publication on Sunday of the documents by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) follows a New York Times report on Nov. 16 based on a cache of secret papers revealing details of China’s clamp-down on ethnic Uighurs and other Muslims in the region.

United Nations experts and activists say at least 1 million Uighurs and members of other largely Muslim minority groups have been detained in camps in Xinjiang.

The ICIJ here says it obtained a 2017 list of guidelines "that effectively serves as a manual for operating the camps", with instructions on how to prevent escapes, maintain secrecy about the camps' existence, indoctrinate internees and "when to let detainees see relatives or even use the toilet".

Other documents it obtained include “intelligence briefings” showing how police have been “guided by a massive data collection and analysis system that uses artificial intelligence to select entire categories of Xinjiang residents for detention”.

Foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told a news conference on Monday that Xinjiang affairs were an internal matter of China’s, and that a stable and prosperous Xinjiang was the best response to what he said amounted to slander.

The Guardian newspaper, an ICIJ affiliate, reported the Chinese embassy in London as saying “the so called leaked documents are pure fabrication and fake news”.

Reuters was unable to independently verify the authenticity of the documents.

The leaks come amid a rising international outcry over China’s broader human rights record in Xinjiang. The United States has led more than 30 countries in condemning what it called a “horrific campaign of repression”.

Beijing denies any mistreatment of Uighurs or others in Xinjiang, saying it is providing vocational training to help stamp out Islamist extremism and separatism and to teach new skills.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-25
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

at least 1 million Uighurs and members of other largely Muslim minority groups have been detained in camps in Xinjiang.

Thats shocking, but China will just say none of your business

its an internal Chinese problem.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Reuters was unable to independently verify the authenticity of the documents.

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

that effectively serves as a manual

Oooo kkaaaayyyy...........

No spin there then, carry on.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Credo said:

You might want to take a look at the source, which is one of the least biased media outlets and is known for not just being balanced, but also factually correct:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/international-consortium-of-investigative-journalists/

Then why do they say 'effectively' instead of definitely?

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Then why do they say 'effectively' instead of definitely?

Because it's not officially a manual but in reality is it.

"actually but not officially or explicitly.
"they were effectively controlled by the people they were supposed to be investigating""
Edited by bristolboy

But, it's quite okay for America to bomb the hell out of Muslim countries, killing thousands of civilian's over the not years but, decades. 

Hell, the US wanted the Muslims gone...... well, China is doing it!!!

I do not however agree with this view but, that's what's happening.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Expat Brad said:

But, it's quite okay for America to bomb the hell out of Muslim countries, killing thousands of civilian's over the not years but, decades. 

Hell, the US wanted the Muslims gone...... well, China is doing it!!!

I do not however agree with this view but, that's what's happening.

Well, it's not Muslim but supposedly separists of Uighur ethnic. Never been to Xinjiang so can't say about whether it's true, but many Chinese whine about govt. treat Muslim & Minority ethnics with a slight superiority. It's fact ethnic minorities do get a slight advantage in school exam score, that's why everyyear many Han Chinese try to fake their identity as minority... And large economical support went to minority area, general laxxing law enforcement on minority "2 fewer, 1 leniency". It's true Muslims especially Uighur Muslims are viewed with strong stereotype unfortunately, but that's not very different the rest of the world treat all Chinese, and many undereducated Chinese could be somewhat racist. 

Generally CCP content with any religions as long as they put nation before their gods, and willing form a religious committe under CCP advisorship. ???? You see a problem here... but for most simple believers careless about politics, largely a non-issue... 

19 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

So is  Guantanamo  Bay Detention  Center closed already?

In Guantanamo  Bay Detention  Center the number of detainee's is a little samller, with for everybody there a high reason to keep them there.

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Or the children out of their cages along the border?

I wish all children in the world a much better future, but.. have to face the existing rules ( and .. what the citizens of that country allow to enter their country + social welfare.)

You would allow all children under 12 from Mexico till Terra de Fuego - Chile entrance to the USA ?

Think also of so many fugitives, inclusive children in the camps in Thailand.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Where you hiding under a rock lately? It is a huge issue for the hundred thousands or even millions of Uighurs sent to the concentration camps.

What am I hiding? I straight said I never been Xinjiang so don't know if it's true, if you believe current POTUS isn't a liar, then HE pointed there're lots of FAKE news in western media. Or are you from a Xinjiang 'camp' then my sincere apologies.

Then I described what I saw in China for my 30 yrs of life( 10 yrs I was fighting police for my own LGBT rights, and put my life on the line and win )Muslims sometimes viewed with big stereotype, but generally treated with a slight superiority. 

There's a much dire situation many Muslims ACTUALLY died in Syria, Egypt, Yemmen, for democracy-inspired Arab Spring. And one biggest democracy is 'guarding' Syria oil wells right now and said 'We're keeping the oil!'

Edited by Coremouse

On 11/25/2019 at 10:36 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

So is  Guantanamo  Bay Detention  Center closed already?

Let's see - 1 million inmates in China, 755 total inmates in Guantanamo, and 55 remaining (all active terrorists) . So exactly the same thing....

46 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

Let's see - 1 million inmates in China, 755 total inmates in Guantanamo, and 55 remaining (all active terrorists) . So exactly the same thing....

In principle very similar although not exactly  same.

More than one Uyghur were guests in G Bay by the way.

My issue is the apparent  shift  from Islam  bashing  to China  bashing using doubly  contradictory  points  of  "high principles" . There is plenty of  evidence of the phobic  abuses of the  majority of  innocents in G Bay.

Denial of that and a new  political  focus using  "human  rights" as justification strikes me  as hypocrisy in veryrecent historical terms despite the "appeal" of moral correctness.

• Like 1