Thai economy: Thais staying home and not going out to eat

webfact

41 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Believe it or not, when I was younger I had no disposable income working six days a week in a dead end job on minimum wage.  As time went by I branched out and shimmied my way up the greasy pole and now earn significantly more than I did back yonder.  It's the way of the world.  

Starting out at low wages when you were young isn't the cause of income inequality, 555.

Obviously, you are not a SME (Subject Matter Expert) on income inequality, LOL.

Do you know what the word "Dilletante" means?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Do you know what the word "Dilletante" means?

I do but your spelling is incorrect so have corrected it for you.

Anyway, not going to argue with you, as I can see you're primed and I'll let your attitude go right over my head.  I think I summed up income inequality already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

maybe getting healthy to? lot a heffas about nowadays eating market oiled up, salty, fatty rubbish. Probably a good thing  My family eats 99% of meals at home. Sick of paying for diarrhoea then for the medicine...

I have lived here for over 20 years and maybe had diarrhea once or twice, where are you eating that it happens so often???

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: 70% of this economy depends on exports and tourism.

WOOW!

Really?

The domestic economy accounts for only 30%?

May I add:

A very common mistake made by people who know how to google, but don't understand economics.

12 minutes ago, 448glb said:

I have lived here for over 20 years and maybe had diarrhea once or twice, where are you eating that it happens so often???

My wife has never given me food poisoning with her cooking either in LOS or at home.  I have however been food poisoned at least half a dozen times eating out in LOS and two of them were total agony for a few days.  There's no yardstick and all down to luck.  

They are staying home more, not going out to eat - even looking for special promotions at the supermarket. 

They are learning to turn their lights off, repairing things themselves and saving money by living with friends and relatives.

Holy Indian Cow! We're always looking for promotions, why paying twice as much if you don't have to?

I haven't yet seen a Thai who's learning important things and I'm a teacher. So where does that turning lights off come from?

And repairing things themselves is asking for a catastrophe. Even the mechanics don';t know how to fix motorbikes, not even talking about big bikes.

All the electricians have a short one and our son who studied electronics for three years at the local college couldn't even switch a lightbulb.

Our son is 22 now and it seems that he'll never leave us. Isn't is nice when others pay for all your expenses? 

Somebody's trying to be kidding us here......

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

maybe getting healthy to? lot a heffas about nowadays eating market oiled up, salty, fatty rubbish. Probably a good thing  My family eats 99% of meals at home. Sick of paying for diarrhoea then for the medicine...

Spot on I’m not short of money rent a brand new condo. Used to eat out every night rarely eat out now prefer to eat my hygienic prepare food. Had some awful experiences of Deli Belly from even so called top restaurants. Thais have no concept of or training in food hygiene. Basically just dirty take a look at some of the kitchens in these restaurants. Yuck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've been out to eat once this month (bill was 159bht including a large Leo).

My Thai gf hasn't been out with me for ages, she can't afford to eat out.

When she asks for more money I tell her to find a wealthier lover, but I'm afraid the market for live-in gfs has almost completely dried up (Thai and foreigner employers) in Chiang Mai.

This is an odd thing to read. 

My fiance saved our ass when work dried up and I couldn't pay our rent. We live together and put our money together. 

I wonder if the fact that you think of it as a "market" has something to do with it...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JesseHumphry said:

My fiance saved our ass when work dried up and I couldn't pay our rent. We live together and put our money together. 

I wonder if the fact that you think of it as a "market" has something to do with it...

I very much like your use of the word fiancée.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JesseHumphry said:

It is but I also understand BritManToo.  My marriage to my Thai wife was like a transaction at the time, though we knew what we were doing.  We settled down in the intervening period and appreciate where we came from, where we arrived too and where we are going.  It is far easier when there is compatibility and a common purpose and living together.  In our case was living abroad and visiting LOS occasionally to maintain healthy family ties.  

• Like 2

me and my gf just eat 7 baht mama noodles mixed with a CP egg and one of those 10 baht yogurt pouch drinks (yellow)

it's not so much to do with money for me, I like the high-sodium and lack of social interaction/having to move out of the room. she likes noodles more than other foods, and it allows her to buy more lottery tickets

we've tried food panda a few times and it's more hassle than it's worth

2 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

A friend owns a restaurant. He told me that he and others reduce the portions to earn enough money after a 30%+ commission.

Better eat in the restaurant then if they are going to reduce your portions.

Sounds pretty much like hoe we used to live in my home country – they probably still live like that – perhaps Thailand is moving up to Western standard...????

However, look at the bright side of life: Thais begin to switch unused light off...????

Edited by khunPer

3 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

me and my gf just eat 7 baht mama noodles mixed with a CP egg and one of those 10 baht yogurt pouch drinks (yellow)

it's not so much to do with money for me, I like the high-sodium and lack of social interaction/having to move out of the room. she likes noodles more than other foods, and it allows her to buy more lottery tickets

we've tried food panda a few times and it's more hassle than it's worth

If you replace gf by fiancée I will like your post.

What is all this belt tightening.

Wife and I have just invested in a double shoebox on an elevated site ( top if rubbish tip ) with panoramic views. Tomorrow we are installing a swimming pool ( old sardine tin ) and waterbed ( balloon with a little water. 

We dine out every night ( on scraps ) and before bedtime we both graab before a picture of the man who made our happiness possible. Mr Prayuth ......what a great guy.

• Haha 2