Martin Scorsese's The Irishman is out on Netflix and could win Best Picture

snoop1130

Martin Scorsese's The Irishman is out on Netflix and could win Best Picture

By Lewis Knight

0_IRISHMAN_UNIT_FIRSTLOOK_2.jpg

The Irishman is out on Netflix (Image: NETFLIX)

The Irishman is finally out on Netflix.

Influential director Martin Scorsese brings us the gangster drama which is inspired by true events and stars Scorsese’s longtime playmate and Oscar winner Robert De Niro as the titular character, Frank Sheeran.

The film follows how Sheeran, a nightclub bouncer, is drawn into the world of the mafia after striking up a friendship with Russell Bufalino (Oscar winner Joe Pesci ) and then with his criminal associates.

However, Frank’s most defining friendship comes from his relationship with powerful Teamster and - all-round wild card - Jimmy Hoffa (Oscar winner Al Pacino ).

Full Story: https://www.mirror.co.uk/film/martin-scorseses-irishman-out-netflix-20970230

Watched 2 hours of it on Netflix yesterday and will finish it today. As far as it getting the Best Picture Award, if the last hour and a half isn't a lot better than the first 2 hours, there's no way it should win.  It reminds of another film that had a star studded cast. After I sat through "A Bridge too Far", I concluded it was also an hour too long.  

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

Watched 2 hours of it on Netflix yesterday and will finish it today. As far as it getting the Best Picture Award, if the last hour and a half isn't a lot better than the first 2 hours, there's no way it should win.  It reminds of another film that had a star studded cast. After I sat through "A Bridge too Far", I concluded it was also an hour too long.  

OI ! you nicked my PA tag ... pistols at dawn ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I watched it last night.   It's too bad that MUTT Deniro is the star, I could go the rest of my life without having to see his ugly mug again.

I totally agree. I wouldn't pay money to watch his movies in a theater. He is only one of many Hollywood actors and professional athletes that think they use political rhetoric without ramifications.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

I totally agree. I wouldn't pay money to watch his movies in a theater. He is only one of many Hollywood actors and professional athletes that think they use political rhetoric without ramifications.  

This is what Celebrities were like.  

When I think of people like Bob Hope or Jackie Gleason, I could not tell you if they were Democrat or Republican.  All I knew, was that I enjoyed them and their art.  That MUTT Deniro can go to hell.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I watched it last night.   It's too bad that MUTT Deniro is the star, I could go the rest of my life without having to see his ugly mug again.

I agree with you.  He's become a whiney liberal loser, not sure I'll watch this movie.  Everything he portrays in the movies, he's against in real life.  Except money, he's for money. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

Of course if Herr Trump was an actor then it would just be perfect, absolutely beautiful. Oh I forget he is an actor in a work of his own fiction. Anyway Scorsese is my all time favorite director with more than enough genius works in the bank that his place is assured in movie history. Just done an hour so far , a bit slow but then I will reserve judgement until I've seen the whole.  Silence was beautiful to look at but a long tough haul.  He is an old man now ,77 so he sees the world through an old man's yes looking back , rather like the start of the  movie. 

De Niro is of course a flawed genius - never less so than in this performance.....because sometimes the truth hurts

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Richard Nixon, in those infamous tapes, referred to the JFK assassination as "the whole Bay of Pigs" thing.  You'll find out why in this film, but that part is brief and subtle -- if you blink you'll miss it.

Pesci is good as a low-key mob boss, no psychotic tantrums.  Pacino is the best I've seen him do in a long time.  A lot of civil conversations where you know, and both characters know, one is bs-ing the other, and you're trying to figure if it's going to end peacefully or one is suddenly going to blow away the other, that is the real suspense in this one.

Edited by bendejo

It makes you wonder what the quality of Hollywood movies will be like when De Niro, Pesci, Pacino, Harvey Keitel and Jack Nicholson are gone.

Between them they've made some memorable films.

It won't be many years now and who will step into their shoes?

No one has ever replaced Errol Flynn, Steve McQueen or Clarke Gable.

Edited by yogi100

For the record, I fell asleep while watching Good Fellas 2.0, err, The Irishman. What a boring movie. DeNiro is constantly narrating the movie. How boring.

Edit:

Who wants to listen to crappola like this:

"In the early days we tied our shoes with one eye closed, but ever since Joey "The Bubba" Gargola appeared in the neighborhood, we now tie our shoes blindfolded."

Okay, in all seriousness, I made that quote up, but it is on the same level as the nonsense spewed out in these mafia/gangster related movies. Yawn!

Edited by Gumballl

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Richard Nixon, in those infamous tapes, referred to the JFK assassination as "the whole Bay of Pigs" thing.  You'll find out why in this film, but that part is brief and subtle -- if you blink you'll miss it.

Pesci is good as a low-key mob boss, no psychotic tantrums.  Pacino is the best I've seen him do in a long time.  A lot of civil conversations where you know, and both characters know, one is bs-ing the other, and you're trying to figure if it's going to end peacefully or one is suddenly going to blow away the other, that is the real suspense in this one.

I noticed that a few characters that appeared in the movie JFK show up here. The De Niro character trucks weapons to a guy referred to as a “fairy”, and in JFK that guy was played by Joe Pesci. An interesting twist.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:21 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

On 11/29/2019 at 6:02 PM, tweedledee2 said:

loved his taxi driver, raging bull, deer hunter days, but now he has ruined it because of his politics. 

keep your mouth shut. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 9:54 PM, khaowong1 said:

I agree with you.  He's become a whiney liberal loser, not sure I'll watch this movie.  Everything he portrays in the movies, he's against in real life.  Except money, he's for money. 

Everything he portrays in the movies has been written for him. He is merely an actor, a puppet, who gets paid for ACTING, whether he believes what he is portraying or not..

Edited by wgdanson
  • Thanks 1

Saw it in the theatre in the US. While the performances were great, and the CGI is astonishing, it dragged and dragged. It was easily 80 minutes too long, and some scenes were 10 minutes too long. It was an extreme form of over indulgence for Scorcese, who is normally brilliant. I think he felt it might be his last film, and it was kind of an homage. It would be ideal to watch it in three segments, as a mini series. And I would still speed through some of the scenes. Good Fellas it is NOT!

4 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I noticed that a few characters that appeared in the movie JFK show up here.

Scorsese started off the cable series Boardwalk Empire, about prohibition era corruption in Atlantic City (historical note:  AC did not have legalized gambling until the 1970s).  The guy who plays Tony Pro ("the little guy") in this movie is the guy who played Al Capone in BE, thought that was funny.  If you look closely you'll see Steve Van Zandt (from Springsteen's band) doing an impersonation of Jerry Vale.  I would suspect Scorsese wanted to have Sinatra in there but the Italian-Americans would probably feel about that as warmly as Muslims do about depictions of Big Mo.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It was easily 80 minutes too long, and some scenes were 10 minutes too long. It was an extreme form of over indulgence for Scorcese, who is normally brilliant.

Took me three sittings, meaning three nights.  Y'know, a lot of these television series these days are actually long, serialized movies.  I could see Netflix eventually cutting this into segments, or chapters.  I usually accumulate these things, then watch an episode each night, before I start forgetting who the characters are.  Currently collecting the last season of Mr Robot, previous season ended nearly 2 years ago, I'm going to have figure out who is who all over again.

I grew up in NYC and was a teenager around the time the mob war stuff was taking place, so the familiarity with events helped keep my attention.  E.g. when he showed Umberto's Clam House I knew what was coming.  Part of my cultural heritage.    :wink:

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Scorsese started off the cable series Boardwalk Empire, about prohibition era corruption in Atlantic City (historical note:  AC did not have legalized gambling until the 1970s).  The guy who plays Tony Pro ("the little guy") in this movie is the guy who played Al Capone in BE, thought that was funny.  If you look closely you'll see Steve Van Zandt (from Springsteen's band) doing an impersonation of Jerry Vale.  I would suspect Scorsese wanted to have Sinatra in there but the Italian-Americans would probably feel about that as warmly as Muslims do about depictions of Big Mo.

Took me three sittings, meaning three nights.  Y'know, a lot of these television series these days are actually long, serialized movies.  I could see Netflix eventually cutting this into segments, or chapters.  I usually accumulate these things, then watch an episode each night, before I start forgetting who the characters are.  Currently collecting the last season of Mr Robot, previous season ended nearly 2 years ago, I'm going to have figure out who is who all over again.

I grew up in NYC and was a teenager around the time the mob war stuff was taking place, so the familiarity with events helped keep my attention.  E.g. when he showed Umberto's Clam House I knew what was coming.  Part of my cultural heritage.    :wink:

Me too. Exactly the same thing, except I moved back to NYC as an adult, after spending time there as a young boy. It was amazing. I remember Umberto's vividly. We would stand outside and discuss the event.