Corrosion on motorhelmet

Thian

2 hours ago, Thian said:

I wouldn't recommend this helmet to anybody and just sent those pictures to Panda Rider so they know what they are selling.

That's not what they are selling.  That's the condition that you let yours get into after you left it unused and unprotected for 5 months in humid Thailand in a room with no aircon!

Clean the strap and use some metal polish to clean off the surface corrosion, problem solved.  

Edited by Just Weird

2 hours ago, Thian said:

the schuberth helpdesk (even the manager of it emailed me yesterday) think this is normal in high humidity...the humidity in Holland is 99% now at night, in Bangkok it is 60% in daytime.

What was the humidity in Bangkok over the five months that you left the helmet?

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

That's not what they are selling.  That's the condition that you let yours get into after you left it unused and unprotected for 5 months in humid Thailand in a room with no aircon!

Clean the strap and use some metal polish to clean off the surface corrosion, problem solved.  

He's also complained that he had to cut 8mm of foam out of the inner shell as it didn't fit properly and was giving him a headache - it would make sense for the Op to just bin this helmet and and choose another which fits him properly.

Then of course, in future store it properly when he goes away (i.e. vacuum sealed etc).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tifino said:

... are you going to test that? 

ducking and running...  

p.s. cutting off Standards/Safety Standards Labels invalidates a Helmet from being able to display that it is Complying with the required specifications. 

Yes i mostly use the sunvisor only, not the large visor which i close only  in dusty area's or when driving behind a stinky bus/truck.

There is another label inside the helmet, it writes R22 E13 plus a long number/code....no idea what that means though.

Those specifications mean nothing to me if they accept a rotting lock to pass their safety regulations. And also i don't understand why it has to be in the chin strap which is very annoying to the driver.

16 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Where do you store your helmet when not in use? Do you keep it in a carrier or a box? I keep mine outside in the sea air!

I store it in the Schuberth bag that came with the helmet, it's on my wardrobe in the living room.

If they wanted me to store it in a vacuum bag they could/should have given me one with it?

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He's also complained that he had to cut 8mm of foam out of the inner shell as it didn't fit properly and was giving him a headache - it would make sense for the Op to just bin this helmet and and choose another which fits him properly.

Can you name me a shop where i can fit the new helmet for 20 minutes in size XXXL??? I live in BKK.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

Have a look at my helmet, it is 15 months old now and i didn't use it for last 5 months because i was abroad.

The lock is rotting from sweat/high humidity

You should connect a timer to your AC whilst you're abroad.

On a positive note

My 600 THB helmet from Tescos is quietly rotting away...... locks strap and insides....

Its 8 months old i sweat a lot and live by the sea

I dont feel so bad about that now!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Vacuum said:
4 hours ago, Thian said:

Have a look at my helmet, it is 15 months old now and i didn't use it for last 5 months because i was abroad.

The lock is rotting from sweat/high humidity

You should connect a timer to your AC whilst you're abroad.

yes, and also need to 'time' your helmets departure from the AC room. 

Those first few minutes from stepping outside; really plays havoc on everything... example: spectacles... can't see anything, for the wet mist on them

4 minutes ago, poohy said:

On a positive note

My 600 THB helmet from Tescos is quietly rotting away...... locks strap and insides....

Its 8 months old i sweat a lot and live by the sea

I dont feel so bad about that now!

In the past i also used Index helmets for 500 baht...they even had my size by then and they were not so bad...only thing was the visor automatically came down when i drove faster than 80 km/hr...Then i bought a new Index and the visor worked like a lens, it misformed my view through it which drove me crazy. So finally i bought the Yamaha helmet for 1200 which has a good visor but also that one comes down when i drive faster than 80.

So i wanted to buy me a good comfortable one with loudspeakers/microfone and thought Schuberth made a very good one...It fit me well but gave huge headaches, the loudspeaker was malfunctioning and on top of that it started rotting. It also doesn't fit under the buddseat so i already started looking for a new bigger scooter like the Forza...but that's not easy to weave through traffic because it's so large.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tifino said:

yes, and also need to 'time' your helmets departure from the AC room. 

Those first few minutes from stepping outside; really plays havoc on everything... example: spectacles... can't see anything, for the wet mist on them

You can try spectacles from faux glass...the top brands have them but i read it scratches easy so i bought sunglasses from real glass with automatic tanning and more functions that i forgot about haha.

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

HJC brought from Canada almost 17 years ago - No rust or corrosion

HJC brought from Canada 7 or 8 years ago - same

LS2 brought from Canada 2 years ago - same

I would bet $$$ that that fancy smancy Schuberth is made in a 3rd world country. German helmet - my derriere !!!

German company, German price, 3rd world quality

Believe nothing you hear and 1/2 of what you see

Yes any old style German would be very ashamed if this happened with one of their products, but Schuberth doesn't care.

But Schuberth emailed me today and told me to bring it to my dealer who will send it to them so they can change the chin strap. He didn't write if it will be a stainless steel lock or just the same low quality one...

I told him that i will send the pics to ALL dealers i can find online, especially the ones in humid climates and of course in Germany. I already sent them to all thai dealers so they know what they are selling....can you imagine what happens if you sell this to a motocycle gang, i mean those big ones.....i wouldn't want to be the salesperson selling it to them.

I don't know the brands HJC and LS2 but will study about those...Schuberth is a shame for Germany...low quality products and even lower after sales.

5 hours ago, Thian said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Can you name me a shop where i can fit the new helmet for 20 minutes in size XXXL??? I live in BKK.

It's hardly the manufacturers fault that someone has a XXXL sized head - its common knowledge that 'try before you buy' is a must with a helmet, even when its as tricky as it would be trying to source a place which sells helmets for such a gargantuan noggin.

Panda Rider (in Bangkok) 'may' stock an 3XL Schuberth, but I doubt it (and if so, yes, I'm, sure you could try it on).

A call is all it takes to ask them if they have the M1 in 3XL. 

My head is Size 59 (LG) - I tried the Schuberth E1 on for long enough to realize it was starting to feel uncomfortable and too tight on my cheeks, the XL felt more comfortable but came in the larger shell size and looked huge.

As with anything, jeans, shoes, helmets, coats etc... trying xxxL sizes is always going to be tricky in a country which caters mainly to folk of less extreme dimensions - again, that's not the fault of the manufacturer.  

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

My low cost HJC modular helmet has had 5 years of Bangkok use and still looks good.  I think it's overdue for replacement due to age, but it looks fine.

I also have a 2 year old open face bought in a market for 700 THB - used for trips to 7-11 only ans I assume its better than the alternative of no helmet, but it has a polycarbonate shell and polystyrene liner plus Thai standard stickers, and has survived a few accidental drops (of the helmet not the bike), so I'm not sure the HJC at 10 times the cost or my old Arai at 20 times the cost are really much better.

But neither has any rust.

Edited by Kinnock

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is hardly the manufactures fault that someone has a XXXL sized head - its common knowledge that 'try before you buy' is a must with a helmet as tricky as it would be with such a gargantuan noggin.

Panda Rider (in Bangkok) 'may' stock an 3XL Schuberth, but I doubt it (and if so, yes, I'm, sure you could try it on).

A call is all it takes to ask them if they have the M1 in 3XL. 

My head is Size 59 (LG) - I tried the Schuberth E1 on for long enough to realize it was starting to feel uncomfortable and too tight on my cheeks, the XL felt more comfortable but came in the larger shell size and looked huge.

As with anything, jeans, shoes, helmets, coats etc... trying xxxL sizes is always going to be tricky in a country which caters mainly to folk of less extreme dimensions - again, that's not the fault of the manufacturer.  

I walked into Panda Rachapruek 3 weeks ago..asked them if they could speak english and they said no...so i left.

I also doubt they will have a 3xl in stock and if they have if they will let me fit it for 20 min....i wouldn't do that if i had a shop for helmets because another customer won't buy it anymore as being new.

I had an AGV size XXXL when i was 20 or so...fit me well but a week later the dog of my friend ate a huge piece out of it...insurance paid that so i bought a Lazer helmet...i forgot the size but it was ok.

I know size XXXL is hard in thailand, that's why i bought this one in Europe...Schuberth has XXXL but not for this model so i trusted their info about measuring the head and 61.5 cm should fit an XXL which goes untill 63 cm....well that was wrong but not my fault...Or would you say it's me mum's fault that i have a large head/feet/hands and knob?

I also tried to buy a Tempur mattress some weeks ago in Paragon...in 210 cm...they had never heard of that but those are normal in Europe these days.

2 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

My low cost HJC modular helmet has had 5 years of Bangkok use and still looks good.  I think it's overdue for replacement due to age, but it looks fine.

I also have a 2 year old open face bought in a market for 700 THB - used for trips to 7-11 only ans I assume its better than the alternative of no helmet, but it has a polycarbonate shell and polystyrene liner plus Thai standard stickers, and has survived a few accidental drops (of the helmet not the bike), so I'm not sure the HJC at 10 times the cost or my old Arai at 20 times the cost are really much better.

But neither has any rust.

Yup i also use the old helmet to go to the 711 and markets....an expensive one might get stolen. That's why it's so great if it fits under the buddyseat.

But a bluetooth helmet connected to Google maps is also great...the schuberth has directed me to all kinds of places i wouldn't go  without it. Actually i want one with a built in camera as well...

• Like 1

I would never buy a helmet with built in communication system or camera. Helmets are replaced every couple years and what do you do with the electronics? Highly unlikely that one can just transfer them to another helmet.

Communication systems from Cardo or Sena work pretty well and are quite easy to attach onto any helmet. Cameras on the other hand suck so far. Either they have a <deleted>ty form factor like GoPro or have <deleted> quality or <deleted> battery life. Or all of these combined. Still waiting for something that is "good enough" but the market is relatively small so not sure if there's enough incentive.

7 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I would never buy a helmet with built in communication system or camera. Helmets are replaced every couple years and what do you do with the electronics? Highly unlikely that one can just transfer them to another helmet.

Communication systems from Cardo or Sena work pretty well and are quite easy to attach onto any helmet. Cameras on the other hand suck so far. Either they have a <deleted>ty form factor like GoPro or have <deleted> quality or <deleted> battery life. Or all of these combined. Still waiting for something that is "good enough" but the market is relatively small so not sure if there's enough incentive.

Yes i agree, but a helmet camera can also make money! If i start a youtube channel and just film what happens to me every day again here on the BKK roads i can get loads of viewers from Europe/USA/Australia....they won't believe what's happening here!

And if i also put a voice-over to that (like Ozzyman does, youtube him if you don't know who he is) it will be a great show to watch! Pure slapstick ????

I want a helmet with camera, bluetooth speakers/microphone...solar power on top....and in the mouthpiece a small fan which blows filtered air through a N95 mouthmask filter....I think i 'll make it myself soon...just for fun.

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Then of course, in future store it properly when he goes away (i.e. vacuum sealed etc).

I actually found that amusing, buys expensive helmet then cuts the foam out thereby compromising its safety integerity and then crys about some insignificant surface corrosion on the buckle.

Might as well just  buy a Bt.200 jobie from BigC !!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

This one quite good. Stealthy. Good video resolution

https://www.innovv.com/innovv-k2

Seems to be fixed mounted on the bike instead of helmet which has the disadvantages of having a much more unstable picture because of bumps in the road but also leaning together with the bike which will increase probability of motion sickness for viewers. So I would only use it as a dashcam but.... when switching the provided example video to fullscreen the quality was horrible. Looked like medium bitrate 480p at best. I couldn't read the numberplate of the car that he was following and that was with little relative motion at times and a few meters distance. In the night video the umberplates looked like a white recangle light. With wired power the quality should be superb so I'm a bit flabbergasted why they'd think such example videos would be a good idea to show.

Innovv also seems to make a helmet cam but unfortunately that one seems to have the same low video quality.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

I actually found that amusing, buys expensive helmet then cuts the foam out thereby compromising its safety integerity and then crys about some insignificant surface corrosion on the buckle.

So you think it's funny that i got huge headaches after buying one of the 'worlds best helmets' ?? i see...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

buys expensive helmet then cuts the foam out thereby compromising its safety integerity

This has been done since I started riding.

Size large too small, size XL too big.

Remove padding, sand down the styrofoam to eliminate pressure points, try it out.

If you removed enuf and the fit is OK, contact cement some cloth to cover the styro.

Works well - makes it a custom fit.

Took off probably 2-3mm from mine. Sides of my forehead (where my horns used to be !!) Fits like a glove.

And anyone who believes that the removal of this small amount will compromise the structural integrity - well ...

The outer shell is structural - the styro used for energy absorption.

Drove my H1 off of a 70 ft cliff, split the shell from forehead to neck roll. Stryro was unmarked. The shell took the hit.

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thian said:

So you think it's funny that i got huge headaches after buying one of the 'worlds best helmets' ?? i see...

What has "worlds best helmets" to do with you buying a helmet which doesn't fit your head?

The corrosion should be a warranty case.

The helmet costs 15k on Pandarider, not 40k+

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1