800000THB, can I draw out?

I have kept the 800,000THB in my Bangkok Bank for the past year. My visa is up for renewal In February, after I show my balance can I transfer back to Uk, or am I obliged to keep in in my account for a period of time?

Edited by Selwyn
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

of course you can take it out it's your money

Yes, it's yours to do with as you please as far as the bank is concerned, depending on the terms of the type of account you have.

But, if you want to remain in compliance with immigration rules you need to follow the fund balances outlined by Jingthing above.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 10:47 AM, Selwyn said:

Hi Jingthing,

Thanks for that, best leave it where it is and forget about it.

Too right.... but if you ever decide you are leaving Thailand, party on!

So far, we are unsure how Immigration will check on this deposit. Obviously 800k/2months seasoning is checked when you apply for the extension. Only Jomtien (????) asks you to come back 3 months later to prove you still got it.... One might expect they will want to see a full year after March 2020.

Yes, leaving the full amount in your bank-account is safest bet that you will be in compliance when you need to prove your financials at your next application for extension of stay.

Two caveats:

- Ensure that the bank-account where you parked the 800K allows immediate withdrawal, as there are other type of accounts (e.g. insurance-based) that are not accepted by IO;

- Allow a small buffer-zone above 800K to avoid dipping below the 800K limit (e.g. as a result of your bank withdrawing the annual bank-account cost).

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Too right.... but if you ever decide you are leaving Thailand, party on!

So far, we are unsure how Immigration will check on this deposit. Obviously 800k/2months seasoning is checked when you apply for the extension. Only Jomtien (????) asks you to come back 3 months later to prove you still got it.... One might expect they will want to see a full year after March 2020.

Kanchanaburi insist on a personal visit to check 800k balance in bank book, 90 days after receiving the extension.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 11:08 AM, NCC1701A said:

that's what i do. makes everything so much easier.

Yep ... I have my Krunsri account with (more than) 800K year round.  And Bangkok Bank for my "active account."  I love Krungsri, but was pleasantly surprised when my Bangkok Bank debit card (The credit card is with Krungsri) turned out to be pin number required at purchase.  That extra layer of protection is much appreciated.  That 800,000 THB is not a problem, and simply a nice forced savings for my wife later on ... (and yes, I did a last will and testament so she has legal rights to withdraw that and other accounts) I can send you the Last Will template if you want to make one up ... super easy.

4 hours ago, Delight said:

Do you have to show evidence that the 800K Baht was brought in from outside Thailand.

I mean if the 800K was gifted to you -would that still count.

Also does it have to be in the same account for the whole 12 months?

For a retirement Extension, no.

Source is not relevant.

800k baht is only required for 2 months before and 3 months after application, not the full year. (400k for the remaining time). It would make sense to leave it untouched for those 5 months as your total must be maintained, but multiple accounts can be accepted. Accounts must be in your name only, and the money accessible. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Source is not relevant.

800k baht is only required for 2 months before and 3 months after application, not the full year. (400k for the remaining time). It would make sense to leave it untouched for those 5 months as your total must be maintained, but multiple accounts can be accepted. Accounts must be in your name only, and the money accessible. 

I will say, since the money is "on lock down" ... it saves a LOT of time and watching an immigration agent flip between books, comparing dates, doing sums, etc ... to Keep It Simple and put the retirement funds in one bank book.  I have my retirement funds sitting in Krungsri, and use Bangkok Bank for "Life Funds"  (The reason is, Bangkok Bank has a PIN on Purchase card ... very secure!)

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Source is not relevant.

Thanks