Foreign cash carried into TL for funding 800k baht account

Hi all.

I am planning on bringing back cash (US$) from the US in January to convert to baht and deposit in my Thai bank account to satisfy the financial requirements for converting a visa exempt entry to a non-O visa based on retirement. The most recent notice I have seen at Chiang Mai immigration (from last year) is a requirement for "A document proving foreign remittance." Since I will have the customs declaration from when I enter the country and will have the receipt for converting the dollars to baht and then depositing the baht in my bank account, I will have set of documents showing foreign funds entering the country and going into my account. I am just curious is anyone else has successfully done the same thing and used those documents to satisfy immigration requirements. I have seen a couple of posts that indicated it had been done but those were a couple of years old. 

Anyone have any experience with this, especially at the Chiang Mai immigration office?

Thanks

David

• Like 2

Not sure why you would take the risk to travel with this cash.  XXXX  stole my wallet and a few other valuables when I was moving out of the country, and they may have thought I was traveling with a lot of cash.  They went to a great effort to delay me, make up a ruse, surround me with 5 employees for 30-60 minutes, etc.  You have to file reports to the US anyway on your taxes.  

My daughter saw them in my bag ...no joke.

• Thanks 1

By the way, I was thinking if I didn’t complete my bank transfers from my house sale that I would be traveling with a large amount of cash and I had a body bag thing to accommodate that, because no way was I going to put that through X-ray machines, or sitting around ....but I got all my money sent home.

Are you going to walk about $26,000 US into Thailand? I'd probably wire transfer also ... I'd be afraid they'd confiscate it and I'd have to go through the rigmarole of proving it's source and authenticity. Good luck whatever you do. Bring some documentary evidence of where it came from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is a lot of risk for a small payout.  Travel from the US is long and exhausting, sometimes we make stupid mistakes.  You could be delayed on a stop for a day somewhere.  You could be in a taxi accident and money disappears.  I’m pretty sure you won’t be going to a bank directly from the airport?  Will it be a weekend when you arrive?  Do you have an account open already?  What if you get stuck walking around with cash for a week because you can’t put it anywhere?  I don’t know your circumstances but if you worry about this small cost, how will you feel if you lose it all?  That is what I think about when I decide.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Genericnic said:

I am planning on bringing back cash (US$) from the US in January to convert to baht and deposit in my Thai bank account to satisfy the financial requirements for converting a visa exempt entry to a non-O visa based on retirement.

Bad idea. There is a $10,000 USD limit on carrying money out of the US without reporting it to US customs and $20,000 limit on bringing into Thailand without reporting to Thai customs. You would need about $27,000 USD to convert for the 800k THB that's required, so it would be better just to bring enough to open an account and then pay the ~ $50 international wire transfer fee once your account is open. That way you will have proof the money came from abroad. If the reason for bringing that much cash is because it hasn't been reported in US for tax purposes and you bring it thru US customs and by chance you get stopped, then you will have a difficult time explaining to them where that cash came from.

Edited by BertM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Genericnic said:

Thanks. You answered my question. I was reasonably sure that the Thai customs declaration would fit the bill.

David

The more worry thing is the other part of the trip , the leaving country control , keep in mind that from 9999 Euro  or GBP  you can be asked  A) from where origin  B) if higher must fill in special form declaring  it …. before leaving border control to airside

Money sniffer dogs exist  you know.... as experienced them at Schiphol  , no problem as documents with me 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BertM said:

Bad idea. There is a $10,000 USD limit on carrying money out of the US without reporting it to US customs and $20,000 limit on bringing into Thailand without reporting to Thai customs. Do you really want to report to customs? You would need about $27,000 USD to convert for the 800k THB required, so it would be better just to bring what's needed to open a bank account and then pay the international wire transfer fee once your account is open. I brought $9,900 USD when I first came over to make the initial deposit when opening my Citibank Thailand account because at the time, they required 200k THB minimum to open account. But, most Thai banks only require a small amount to open accounts.

15000 USD value is the limit now undeclared , before it was 20000 USD , but changed , unless they changed it now again ? ..

For Europe remember it is not 10 000 € , every customs ask always if you have 10 000 or more with you , little trick in that law as from 10 000 you need to declare …. 9999€ not , but be warned  your forgotten pocket coins could trick you over the limit ...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

LOL. If I was a money launderer, I would not be bringing it in myself. I would find some unsuspecting soul to do it for me. As for proof of where it came from, I am pretty sure the documentation from TD Ameritrade account would be sufficient. And yes, the funds would be declared in both the US and Thailand.

David

If the money was reported and came from your TD Ameritrade account, then I don't understand why you would want to bring $27,000 in cash when you can simply make an international wire xfer for less that $50 USD after your Thai bank account/s are open. I don't pay any wire xfer fees with Chase bank. I send USD to my Citibank Thailand USD account and then convert to THB at my convenience. So, I don't understand your reasoning, but you must have one for risking bringing that much cash when it's not necessary.

I’m wondering if he is making the mistake of converting to Thai baht in the US before sending the money to Thailand, that is why he quotes such high charges??  Do you know you should and can send the money in dollars to Thailand then convert to Baht at the destination ???  You get a much better rate.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, G950 said:

You can legally bring up to USD 20,000 into Thailand without declaring it. Lots of people bring that amount in every trip.

At Superrich changing $20k won't be out of place. I have stood at counter with people changing 5 times that amount on a regular basis. 

Agreed. I've been using Superrich in Bangkok for almost 20 years.

David

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Genericnic said:

I am just curious is anyone else has successfully done the same thing and used those documents to satisfy immigration requirements.

I don’t see why they wouldn’t be accepted. But, personally, I wouldn’t take the chance. A transfer is the sensible move.

7 hours ago, G950 said:

You can legally bring up to USD 20,000 into Thailand without declaring it. Lots of people bring that amount in every trip.

At Superrich changing $20k won't be out of place. I have stood at counter with people changing 5 times that amount on a regular basis. 

6 hours ago, Genericnic said:

Agreed. I've been using Superrich in Bangkok for almost 20 years.

Last time I needed to exchange 20K$ I went to the Lad Phrao branch of Superrich because I lived close.  They were able to handle it that day but said normally they wouldn't be able to and suggested calling ahead.  The main BKK branch of Superrich wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1