Getting a Thai DL in Bangkok

I fall into a few unique categories I haven't seen addressed here so I thought I would seek some feedback from the TV crowd.

I recently moved back to Thailand and I'm living in Bangkok.  I'm currently on a Non-Immigrant O visa.  

I had a 1 year temporary Thai car driver's license that expired in 2011.  

I would like to get an auto and motorcycle license.  I have both a valid (until 2025) US car and motorcycle license as well as a International Driving Permit for auto and motorcycle. 

As I understand it, I will need to take proof of residency to the DLT but I'm not sure if my landlord has filed a TM30 as my wife is on the lease agreement. Is it still possible to get a residency certificate from immigration or am I stuck paying the US embassy $50 for a certified letter?  If I have to use a certified letter, does anybody have a sample of what it should say?  I already did one to open a bank account but they insisted on keeping the original so can I just use the same embassy form and declare that I am a resident of Thailand and living at that address? 

Will I be applying for the 2 year temporary DL or does my previous Thai DL enable me to request a renewal? 

Do I really have to do that whole dog and pony show of the lectures and road tests or does my US license or the IDP exempt me from that? 

I've seen several places state that if you do have to take the road tests, you need to provide your own vehicle.  How does that work if you are applying for both the motorcycle and the auto license?  I have seen several people say that you can apply for both at the same time but how do you get two vehicles to the DLT office? 

Any DLT offices that are easier to deal with than another?  I'm out near Chatuchak but can go anywhere I need to if the process is smoother at a particular office. 

Thanks! 

As your previous license expired more than 365 days ago you will have to go though the process again. 

You won't (shouldn't) need to do any of the road tests - Motorcycle or Car (with a US license you never needed to do that the first time). 

Your US license in English should be sufficient, you also have an IDP which helps. 

You will need the Affirmation of Address / letter of residence / proof of residence (one of these).

[the letter of residency is the bit that's a PITA - if you have not filed a 90day report you can't get it from Immigration, you'll need to show a bill, phone bill, rental agreement, bank statement etc for your Embassy to issue an Affirmation of Residence Document]

Medical Certificate (for the DLT format) 

Photo Copy's of passport / visa / US license etc

You will have to do the: 

Physical tests: Colour Blindness / Proximity / Reaction 

Sit through a 50min Video (and what Khun Suai, Khun JaiDee & Khun JaiRaun all prove the juvenile nature of the mentality of the average person on the road in Thailand). 

You will receive a 2 year Temp License, after which, with a Non-Immigrant Visa you will be able to get the 5 year license. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As your previous license expired more than 365 days ago you will have to go though the process again. 

You won't (shouldn't) need to do any of the road tests - Motorcycle or Car (with a US license you never needed to do that the first time). 

Your US license in English should be sufficient, you also have an IDP which helps. 

You will need the Affirmation of Address / letter of residence / proof of residence (one of these).

[the letter of residency is the bit that's a PITA - if you have not filed a 90day report you can't get it from Immigration, you'll need to show a bill, phone bill, rental agreement, bank statement etc for your Embassy to issue an Affirmation of Residence Document]

You will have to do the: 

Sit through a 50min Video (and what Khun Suai, Khun JaiDee & Khun JaiRaun all prove the juvenile nature of the mentality of the average person on the road in Thailand). 

You will receive a 2 year Temp License, after which, with a Non-Immigrant Visa you will be able to get the 5 year license. 

Thanks for the info.  That really helps. 

In terms of the Affirmation of Residence, the US embassy signed off on one without any supporting documentation.  In fact, it says right on the form that the US embassy is not actually affirming anything you've said, only that you told them that the information was true. 

The U. S. Embassy does not guarantee the contents of my own sworn statement and assumes no responsibility for the truth or falsity of the stated information.  Under penalty of perjury, I assume full and complete responsibility for the veracity of the claims herein.

That's why I was wondering if there was any specific language that DLT is looking for on the affirmation. 

The one I used for opening a bank account, I just wrote:

Mr. digibum is a citizen of the United States of America with US Passport Number 12345678 issued by the US State Department on Jan 1, 2018 and expires on Jan 1, 2099. 

US Address:

123 Main Street

Anytown, NY, 10110

Thai Address:

123 Thanon Main Soi 44

Bangkok, Thailand, 11001

Will that work for DLT? 

The US embassy charges $50 a copy and looks like appointment times are 3 - 4 weeks so I don't want to go through the whole process and then have DLT tell me, it needs to say "Blah, blah, blah" and have to wait another month and pay another $50. 

Just an update on this, I stopped by the DLT office on Bang Chak. 

According to the uniformed lady at the information counter, I would need the medical cert, statement of residency, passport, my US license, and my IDP. 

I asked about the format and she showed me affidavits notarized by the British Embassy.  You can take a look at what the letter should look like here. 

My (Thai) wife came with me as we were running errands together and they told her that with her IDP that she would only have to watch the 1-hour video (because she's a Thai citizen) but that I would have to do the 1-hour video AND the 5-hour lecture (because I'm a foreigner), but the lady said that neither one of us would have to take any tests other than the physical tests (proximity, color blindness, etc). 

Not sure if something was lost in the translation there because what's the point of sitting for the lecture if I'm not required to take the test?  Does that sound right? 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You will have to do the: 

I got my 2 year temporary car & bike license at Chatuchak DLT. I had my aussie current license and a current IDP at the time. I did need to do everything that Richard has stated EXCEPT watch the video. Also you stated that you are on a Non Imm O visa, so you should not be able to get a Certificate of Residency from Immigration as you are required to do border runs every 90 days on that visa, not 90 day reports, so you will need to get a certified letter from your embassy re your address if you do not have a rental lease or utilities bill in your name. Also as you are applying for 2 licenses you will need 2 copies of all the documentation, and need to complete 2 application forms. Unfortunately you need 1 set of documentation for each license.

Edited by TigerandDog

The affirmation affidavit from the US Consulate is basically a blank sheet of paper. Just write - " My name is *** and my address in Thailand is *** . . . " Pay the $50 and get it notarized. 

You can get a medical certificate at any local clinic same day. Very cheap. They just want to see if you have a pulse.

Definitely a good idea to get the drivers license and the motorbike license at the same time so you don't have to go through the reaction tests and movie 2x (like I did). 

They accepted my California US drivers license and later they accepted the tiny little notation on my CA drivers license saying that I was qualified for motorcycle driving. No road test required in Thailand.

I went to the DLT in Bang Chak. An easy walk from the BTS station. The people at the front desk will check your documents and let you know if you have everything. There is not a lot of English language signage there but it is definitely doable by a novice. Plan on about 3 hrs for the process.

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

I got my 2 year temporary car & bike license at Chatuchak DLT. I had my aussie current license and a current IDP at the time. I did need to do everything that Richard has stated EXCEPT watch the video. Also you stated that you are on a Non Imm O visa, so you should not be able to get a Certificate of Residency from Immigration as you are required to do border runs every 90 days on that visa, not 90 day reports, so you will need to get a certified letter from your embassy re your address if you do not have a rental lease or utilities bill in your name. Also as you are applying for 2 licenses you will need 2 copies of all the documentation, and need to complete 2 application forms. Unfortunately you need 1 set of documentation for each license.

Good point on double documentation. 

Does that mean that I should get 2 copies of the embassy certification of residency?  Those are $50 a document so, trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible. 

I assume that I can just make a copy of the health certificate.  No need to get two health certificates, right? 

40 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I went to the DLT in Bang Chak. An easy walk from the BTS station. The people at the front desk will check your documents and let you know if you have everything. There is not a lot of English language signage there but it is definitely doable by a novice. Plan on about 3 hrs for the process.

Staff at Bang Chak were great in answering my questions. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, digibum said:

Good point on double documentation. 

Does that mean that I should get 2 copies of the embassy certification of residency?  Those are $50 a document so, trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible. 

I assume that I can just make a copy of the health certificate.  No need to get two health certificates, right? 

You definitely do not need two notarized copies. One notarized residency document and then make as many photocopies as you want. If there are any colored stamps I will usually make color copies.

make photocopies of your drivers license and the important pages of your passport.

Bang Chak has a photocopy service inside the building.

Edited by Martyp

Current US DL car and moto, IDL, health certificate (must be within so many days). Resident doc, Passport.

I’ve Non-O Retirement extension (No border runs) I’m sure I got the residence paper at Immigration office (10 mins). Make sure to tell them 2 papers. It’s been 3 years and may have changed. Health certificate was at local clinic. 

Color blindness eye, Stop light simulator and proximity test (which I had to get up from the chair and look at it because couldn’t understand what it was about). Didn’t watch any videos. Udon Thani province. 

That was for 2 year Temp and now renewed DL Jan 2019-Jan 2025 which was same procedure.

Strange with two licenses......

20 hours ago, digibum said:

Just an update on this, I stopped by the DLT office on Bang Chak. 

According to the uniformed lady at the information counter, I would need the medical cert, statement of residency, passport, my US license, and my IDP. 

I asked about the format and she showed me affidavits notarized by the British Embassy.  You can take a look at what the letter should look like here. 

My (Thai) wife came with me as we were running errands together and they told her that with her IDP that she would only have to watch the 1-hour video (because she's a Thai citizen) but that I would have to do the 1-hour video AND the 5-hour lecture (because I'm a foreigner), but the lady said that neither one of us would have to take any tests other than the physical tests (proximity, color blindness, etc). 

Not sure if something was lost in the translation there because what's the point of sitting for the lecture if I'm not required to take the test?  Does that sound right? 

I've never had to do the 5 hour lecture.

Unless things have changed in the past 2 years there has been a miscommunication. 

I let my previous Driving license lapse (my own date mistake and I was 1 year and 1 day out of date !!).

I had to start the process again as if obtaining a new Thai license for the first time. 

Documents required: 

- Affirmation of Residence letter 

- Copy of Passport

- Copy of UK driving license (and the license to show)

- Medical Certificate (from local clinic for DLT requirements)