renovation costs of condo?

parafareno

what are renovations costs of condo?

lets say 46 sq meter...I want to put in new tiles.....everywhere...

and glass on balcony? to close the balcony down.....

what would that cost?

Also a small kitchen on balcony behind glass window etc.....

I wonder is it more than 100000?

and new bathroom....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

100k might be enough for the floor, the bathroom and the outside kitchen if you buy the material yourself and just hire labour. Glass windows on the balcony is another story, huge difference depending on what level of quality you want. be sure to check with juristic office if it's allowed at all to glass up the balcony.

A complete renovation of a 35 to 45 sqm studio incl. floors, ceiling, water, electric, modern quality fixtures and some built in furniture etc. starts at min. 300K. and ready to move in with all details is closer to 600K. This is good and experienced contractor used and includes all materials and average priced reasonable quality furniture and solutions. MS>

20 minutes ago, parafareno said:

i did not buy it yet.....but somebody said it is possible for 100000 to put in tiles and new windows on balcony....

Well not sure about the windows but just new tiling for that small a unit I think it would be way under 100K unless they were super expensive tiles. 

Did you buy a Nurin condo?

I think you can do it all for about 150 to 200k.  Flooring and the labor are cheap here.

Some of the larger home improvement stores will have someone come and give you an estimate. Although probably high, just to give you an idea.

How long is a piece of string? Anywhere between 100K and 1 million.

It also depends on where you are in Thailand. For example, building costs are cheaper in Chiang Rai than Chiang Mai. My best guess would be 100 - 200K.

bkk6060 suggestion is good, Thai Watsadu or HomePro would be happy to quote.

Labour costs for tiling in Pattaya is generally between 200-250 per Sqm, providing you are not removing old tiles, add cost off tiles, cement and grout, cost about 25k. If its a standard 4 meter wide condo, you can buy ready made patio doors from watsadu for approx 12k plus labour to fit....leaves you just over 50k for kitchen and bathroom, painting which would be difficult....some condos have maintenance guys that do a reasonable job at a good price, ask at the office.

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

Labour costs for tiling in Pattaya is generally between 200-250 per Sqm, providing you are not removing old tiles, add cost off tiles, cement and grout, cost about 25k. If its a standard 4 meter wide condo, you can buy ready made patio doors from watsadu for approx 12k plus labour to fit....leaves you just over 50k for kitchen and bathroom, painting which would be difficult....some condos have maintenance guys that do a reasonable job at a good price, ask at the office.

not removing old tiles? Really? I thought you need to remove old tiles

25 minutes ago, parafareno said:

Do you want it done cheap or do you want it done right?

I recommend spending some time on the Boonthavorn website so that you can get an idea of what materials (flooring, appliances, countertops, sinks, faucets, toilet etc etc etc) will cost.

Look at condo listings for sale.  Look at the (mostly) horrible remodel/renovation jobs.  Those are the ones where the owner tried to save a few baht.

30 minutes ago, parafareno said:

A good base is all that is required for tiling. In an ideal world remove the old ones but there really isn't any need for flooring tiles if the existing tiles are not loose

It seems finding a good and reliable contractor is not so easy. I heard about a couple of guys who thought they found a good contractor - until things went wrong. And then another one, and maybe another one. And that were not blue eyed guys who just arrived here. It seems it's not easy. Good luck!

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems finding a good and reliable contractor is not so easy. I heard about a couple of guys who thought they found a good contractor - until things went wrong. And then another one, and maybe another one. And that were not blue eyed guys who just arrived here. It seems it's not easy. Good luck!

It can be difficult.  And, here's what can also happen.  My partner and I are currently doing our latest condo renovation.  We've used the same granite contractor probably a dozen times and have always been happy with their work--which is why we kept using them.  We like to reward good work by being loyal customers.

So, we hired them again and last week they did the granite installation--and did a poor job.  The granite we selected has a pattern that flows and needs to be installed so the pattern all flows in the same direction. The owner assured us this would be the case with the installation.  In the kitchen, one of the major slabs was installed incorrectly with the flow.  They thought we wouldn't notice but we did.  It looked terrible so it had to be ripped out and new granite cut--which took a number of days and delayed the rest of the kitchen work by another contractor.

The second problem was a long counter that had to have 2 pieces of granite.  The two pieces were cut correctly for a good seam match but they were installed backwards so the seam was very visible.  This they couldn't correct as the counter would have been too damaged in the removal process. 

We weren't happy but what broke the camel's back was the owner of the granite shop calling us immediately after the repair work was done demanding the final payment.  We told her we had just sat down to lunch at a restaurant and would send a bank transfer of the amount to her bank account when we finished our lunch--which is how we had paid the first installment.  That wasn't good enough and she said she was going to send her workers to remove all the granite if we didn't do the payment that instant.  My Thai partner set her straight on the folly of that but, still, not the way to a customer's heart.

We've always paid on time and with this job we had already put down more than 80% of the payment before they even started the work.  (Normally we don't do this but we had used them so many times before and thought we had a good relationship.)  She couldn't wait a lousy hour for us to finish our lunch and get to the bank? I should mention that this is a large business and not a starving one-man show.  So, this is the thanks we get for being loyal, good customers.  Well, FORMER customers.  Never again. 

Something similar to this happened with a general contractor we used for at least half a dozen jobs.  Good work and then bad work with the last job.  Every renovation seems to be a bit of a crapshoot with contractors.  

9 hours ago, newnative said:

We've always paid on time and with this job we had already put down more than 80% of the payment before they even started the work.  (Normally we don't do this but we had used them so many times before and thought we had a good relationship.) 

I guess you can consider yourself lucky that you got anything after 80 advance payment.

It seems that is the moment lots of contractors run away...

17 hours ago, parafareno said:

Not necessarily, I overlaid the floor tiles in my bathroom only making sure the new ones were laid offset to the old. Might be an issue if you worry about losing 1cm of floor space!

boontworn has a great selection of flooring but their installation charge was a lot higher than what the other guys wanted. 

homepro also has nice selection plus sale tiles

tip to find an installer for tiles.  talk to workers at condo construction sites. usually the floor team is eager to find more work. smaller tiles cost a little more per M2 to install since more work

if new tiles are placen on old tiles will need to cut bottom of doors for clearance of higher floor.

i installed 2 ikea kitchens already. they look good, functional, and not expensive.

55 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not necessarily, I overlaid the floor tiles in my bathroom only making sure the new ones were laid offset to the old. Might be an issue if you worry about losing 1cm of floor space!

Why is laying the new tiles offset with the old important?

maybe so expansion and contraction of underlying tiles exerts less force to expand grout lines of new tiles?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why is laying the new tiles offset with the old important?

Just seemed sensible to seal the underlying crack between tiles (which had lost grout), with solid tile, not another line of grout. Like one offsets each row of bricks in a wall.

Archived