Thai's have no idea how to sell a property

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yeah there's no transparency here, but i can tell you that no thai will pay these insane valuations.

In the US and europe you have websites like Zillow that show you exactly how much the houses in the same area are going for - here everything is made up, thais don't get that their stuff is only worth what people are willing to pay, they are living in la la land....

We know a thai Dr who did pay over the market price for a double size building. He was desperate to open a clinic of his own. He paid huge money despite there significant parking issues in that street.  I think he is from a very wealthy family and didnt care so much about the price....

There is no motivation to sell as tax is minimal or nothing (although they are trying to address that but it will likely take a long time) and the land will always have value and likely increase with time so nothing is likely to be sold at a loss - just passed on to family as if an investment.   

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Is anyone buying real estate anymore....my last visit to the land office earlier in the year was surprised how empty it was compared to previous years.....of course downstairs where they do the loan attachments to properties was chock a block....about says it all.

Buying property to rent out,is not feasible anymore IMHO,cost of property

too high,rents too low,finding long time reliable tenants,very difficult,in my

area at least,the good times are long gone,I remember one time  4 prospective tenants

at a property i had for rent,told them first one that returns with the deposit

gets it,luckily for me,the one that got it was  very good tenant and stayed for

8 years ,just about paid for the house.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, advancebooking said:

Your comment is so true. All the places we rented were so dirty inside I couldn't believe it. Whenever we left a rental we used the bond money as the last months rent (eg we stopped paying the rent to use the bond money). But we always cleaned it well, took photos and handed the keys over to a happy landlord. One was not happy about us using the bond but I held my ground on it. 

I think most contracts actually say that you cannot use the "deposit" in lieu of rental payments?

11 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I think most contracts actually say that you cannot use the "deposit" in lieu of rental payments?

correct but a contract here is akin to toilet paper. in all our situations we always paid the rent on time and they respected us/ trusted us and therefore didnt argue too much at the time of moving out

39 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

A friend´s girlfriend wanted to buy a house. She visited it alone and negotiated with the owner a price of 3.5 million Baht. At her next visit she came with her farang bf. Only the gardeners where there, because the owner lives in Bangkok. When she telephoned again with the owner the price increased to 5 million Baht. They guess that the gardeners told the owner that she came with a foreigner. 

So the friend´s gf doesn´t buy the house and the owner gets no 5 million and also no 3.5 million Baht, a sum with which he would have been satisfied in the beginning. 

So your friend saved 3.5 million baht.  Who the heck would by a house for a gf! She could kick you out after all the paperwork is done. Bye-bye 3.5 mill.

• Like 1

I've gotten great deals on property here.

Perhaps those ones don't need the money, if they did, they'd sell them cheaper.

There's a row of 5 nice townhouses built by the same person 5 years ago. They've sat empty since completion with for sale signs. We called, they refuse to rent, only to sell.

They could rent them for at least 15k a month, probably 20k as the location is good. 

4.5 million in rent at the lower price with 100% occupancy since they were built. Say 3.5 mill realistically. 

Perhaps built as a gift to pass onto the kids. 

Obviously don't need the money (to pay off any loan used to build them, so likely paid for with spare cash).

If they did need the money they'd have sold them cheaply or rent them out until sold.

Not every Thai is some peasant earning 5k a month and living in some field, no matter how much you fool yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Obviously don't need the money

Outlay vs income, a loss is a loss that will never be recovered, I dare say they are obviously not in the business of making money.

I know of a client who I do work for on a consultancy basis annually back in the old country who is worth around 150 mil AUS, down to earth kind of bloke, e.g. can sit down and have a beer with, anyway he built his empire off of his own back, and if he has to reduce his rents by $20 he will protest vigorously, hence the reason he uses me to provide him with a report supporting higher rents, because as he says, rates go up, maintenance costs go up, insurance costs go up, taxes go up and I am not in the business of losing money, especially to the government...lol

It would appear these guys didn't work for their money so no sweat off of their backs, but a loss is a loss, simple math, really, and I can't see them riding the vacancies off o taxes, and or making a capital gain, especially if they have been vacant for so long.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1