Getting a Yellow Book

Sounds like you’ve made it complicated for yourself by getting your panties all in a wad about stuff that’s just par for the course here in the Land Of Smiles. Oh, correct the lady who made some errors filling out the form. Yawn. Ooh, spent a whole hour of valuable time. She told you 1 week but you dawdled along for 3 weeks to call. Didn’t confirm the number before you left; Thai gov’t offices are notorious for not answering their phones, so always ask for the mobile of the staff helping you if it’s not volunteered.

Interview with the head guy: yep. Consider it an opportunity. I got to meet the mayor of Pattaya in his regal office, surrounded by his guys, and that was all quite interesting. Very personable, the mayor, but certainly exuded power. Now we’re BFF and I can cite his name whenever I’m pulled over. (Just joking, but try it.)

AND you didn’t have to present a certified copy of your passport, an official translation by the MFA, two Thai witnesses, with their books and signed copies, to sign forms (AND come back to meet the mayor too), a signed copy of your latest 90-day report, and your name in Thai on some official document, like a chanote, matching the official translation by the MFA.

Major PITA? You got it made in shade. Quaff a Chang or two and try to get it together enough to drag yourself over the finish line. Peace, love, patience, tolerance, man. Where's our sense of noblesse oblige?

Me, in course of paying all of 120 baht, I had fun with all the ladies, amused with my cute attempts to speak Thai, rejected their ballpoints (no ink anyway) in favor of pulling out my own fountain pen, later went around showing off my book and card, gave out an old business card to one lady and asked her to gimme a call (still waiting), and gave ironic salutes to the security guards on the way out. Yeah. Everyone was quite nice and we parted with smiles.

And I presented a Pokemon doll to the daughter of one my witnesses and she was absolutely thrilled, sleeps with it every night. All in all, an enjoyable experience except for dealing with the USA embassy. Shudder. Still, one can manage to enjoy oneself in Bangkok.

You now, I think the head guy should push a few of your buttons and see if you really got what it takes to deserve a book and card in HIS geographical area. Maybe not. Might need a lil' attitude adjustment first. ????

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

When you pay a bill like the electricity in big c ,they will not accept a pink card ,but will a passport or driving licence(it has your passport no on it) my Thai driving licence is always accepted ,as identification . 

Weird thing to do when you can pay your electricity bill and other bills at 7eleven without any kind ID. 

Or even better, log in to your bank app and just scan the qr code to pay it. 

Edited by Okis
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Amphur told me I had to be married and resident for 12 months. When those both applied I went to ask for my yellow book and pink ID card. Told I needed another certified/translated copy of my passport and also my birth certificate. I pointed out if they had told me this previously I could have obtained these when I went to Embassy for marriage docs. Not worth another overnight in Bangkok so haven't bothered.

The whole idea of the passport translation is the yellow book and ID card has your name in Thai, so they need an official translation of your name. If you have marriage documents, you already have an official MFA translation of your name. The ampher should accept marriage docs for the certified/translated requirement. I used marriage docs in Pattaya, but only after pointing out to them that they contain a MFA translation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I'm married, got a house. Yellow book no problem. Took a few hours at the amphur but that was it. Bonus I wasn't expecting was they isued me a pink ID card at the same time. They said it took along time due to new system in place. This was in October just gone. Bt70 I think. Can't remember but not much.

Same experience. No problem at all, and ID card provided at the same time. I live near to Ratchayothin in Bangkok.

54 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:
4 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

All of which you can also use your pink ID, although with the flight, the name on the ticket must be in Thai to match the ID card.

At clinics and hospitals you can register by just using a pink ID card but can't using a driving licence. You were just using your DL as an alternative form of photo ID.

belong to 4 govt hospitals ,all accepted my driving licence 

Queen Sirakit

Banglamung

Sri Racha 

And one in BKK

You need an ID number to get Thai prices. You've registered at these hospitals as an Alien and will be charged accordingly. The pink ID card allows you to register as a Thai with a Thai name (as shown on the ID card) and get Thai prices.

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

โทร 1567 สำนักบริหารการทะเบียน

BORA Bureau Of Registration Administration, also 02-791-7000

โทร 1676 ำนักงานผู้ตรวจการแผ่นดิน

Office Of The Ombudsman, also 02-141-9100

สำเนาทะเบียนบ้าน และ ของจริง

สำเนาบัตรประชาชน และ ของจริง

สำเนาพาสปอร์ตแปลเป็นภาษาไทยจากสถานที่มีการรับรองจากกรมการปกครอง และ ของจริง

House registration document of the house owner. Copy & original

Identification card of the house owner. Copy & original

Thai translation of passport details page certified by an approved translator. Copy & original (include both parent’s full names)

There is a lot in what has been said about them not really understanding the regulation but even what you have posted does not address it completely.

When I did mine there was no house registration of the owner, it was a new build and we both applied for the books at the same time. I wasn't asked for any translation or copies. only a photo. My wife collected her book the next day but she was told it would take about 6 weeks for mine as they would have to wait for the police check, something I have never heard anyone else mention. This was in Chonburi early 2010.

28 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

You need an ID number to get Thai prices. You've registered at these hospitals as an Alien and will be charged accordingly. The pink ID card allows you to register as a Thai with a Thai name (as shown on the ID card) and get Thai prices.

If that is indeed so, that would be a huge savings for any medical anything, as they're now allowed to charge farangs double what they charge Thais in hospitals.

27 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

Quite. I am registered with 5 government hospitals and it is certainly easier using an ID card than a passport, the staff are used to ID cards, the various foreign passports must be a bit confusing. I was originally registered at Chonburi with my passport but had to re-register with my pink ID to get the free flu jab, also attended the free mobile health clinic using the card.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I owned a bank account two months ago without yellow book or foreigner ID.

I also bought a telephone ????

I registered at a hospital without these.

I go to the tax office with my tax return, th get never ask for proof of address.

Booking into hotels, not needed and actually add it doesn't have your passport number might not bcc allowed these days.

I just got a marriage extension and never showed my yellow book or foreigner card, I know many who don't have one and do it.

I also bought a car without showing these docs, and could buy a m/c of I had a dearth wish.

Are you trying to sell these things?

Yeah, but you see all the cool people are using yellow books & pink ID cards for that stuff now.

Hatty told Matty: "Let's don't take no chance
Let's not be *L-seven*, come and learn to dance."
Wooly bully, wooly bully . . . .

--Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs

GROAN. Sorry. But besides the cool factor, being one of the mayor's guys and all, I was motivated to get mine by the idea of using it at gov't hospitals, but mainly at the one to which I'm registered. Wanna make sure there's hang up about my identity and gettin' my just deserts while I'm lyin' there bleedin' out. Sheryl called my attention to this.

Now I did use at the post office the other day. Lady liked it SO much better than the old Thai DL. I'm whippin' it out at every opportunity!

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

If that is indeed so, that would be a huge savings for any medical anything, as they're now allowed to charge farangs double what they charge Thais in hospitals.

According to another poster here on Thaivisa this price list which they released doesn't have any relevance, they charge everybody more than the "foreigner price" already, and if they would use this list it would actually mean a discount even for foreigners. Afaik there are only few government hospitals who actually have a dual pricing scheme.

7 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I have had cataract surgery in both eyes over the last few months. Even though it was a couple of hours away we used a hospital that had been recommended by friends of my wife who had it done. I was offered prices between 6K and 13K for the operation, exactly the same as a Thai, I chose the better lens at 13K and had the final check on the second eye Sunday. Overall with initial consultation, both operations and follow up checks/medication total bill came to about 30K.

• Like 2

My understanding is that, if you live in the house of a blue-book owner, you can be added to that blue book's list of residents, even if you are non-Thai.

And you can use that blue book for doing many of the things the yellow-bookers do, and more.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, TaoNow said:

My understanding is that, if you live in the house of a blue-book owner, you can be added to that blue book's list of residents, even if you are non-Thai.

That is not correct. Only Thais and those with permanent residency can be  registered in a blue house book.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

well if what i pay is falang price ,the Thais must pay hardly anything ,Banglamung. ecg ,blood test and x ray ,plus doctor 1200 baht .

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Are you really trying to say Thais can't understand their language?

You obviously don't understand Thai, or you wouldn't call yourself Khun, a term only used a a term of respect by OTHERS.

Wow.  Pretty angry response to a post that wasn't rude or harsh.  I don't think he was saying that Thais don't understand their own language, but certainly folks can read an article and come away with different opinions on what the article said.  Hell, happens in English every day .... daily on thaivisa.org in fact!  ????

Edited by kurtmartens
add to
  • Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 4:14 PM, Maestro said:

Unlike immigration offices, what you call a tessaban is not geared towards dealing with foreigners and I would not expect its employees to be familiar with reading foreign passports.

In the part of country where I got my yellow house registration book, I had to submit a certified copy of the passport issued by my embassy and a Thai translation of it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This way the officials at the district office could work with a document in Thai language.

Several embassies/consulates issues a certificate with the required information for the local amphoe. 

On 12/17/2019 at 6:34 AM, GalaxyMan said:

Is this normal? The Yellow Book doesn't imbue me with any special rights that I'm aware of, just serves as proof of my residence. Why are they making it such a complicated process?

Yes, that is normal on Samui, your's even seem to be little more simple than the procedure I had to go through a few years back, which was same as if I was applying for permanent residency, except the language test – I was allowed translator for the interview – and singing the national hymn (they shall be happy that I did not sing).

I needed an authorizes translation to Thai of my passport, several pagesin the translation folder was about the translator, his background and education certificates, and various rubber stamps.

I needed two witnesses, or guarantors, that knew me well, at least one should be a neighbor or like, and at least one should be governmental employed. The witnesses should be present at the tessa ban office for interviews.

My personal interview lasted for about half an hour, but the complete procedure took most of a day. I had asked about all needed documentation and the procedure in advance, I was prepared, and everything went smooth. The staff at tessa ban was, as always, very kind to me and acted professional, so actually a pleasure to get it done.

Samui is known to be very strict about enforcing all regulations, both immigration rules, and also when applying for a Yellow House Book for aliens.

When you have a house book you can a apply for a pink ID-card for aliens at the amphor office, but you need to have an approval letter issued at the tessa ban before applying.

You might also need to register at the Revenue Office (opposite the Seatran Pier in Nathon) for income tax – you need the ID-number given in the House Book first – depending of the Double Taxation Agreement between your home country and Thailand, which you can find here; staying in the Kingdom more than 180 days during a calendar year makes you a tax-resident.

We have seen posts here in Thaivisa forum from other provinces, where it's "a piece of cake" to obtain a Yellow House Book. So as usual in Thailand, what's said about regulations in one place. might not also cover other places...????

9 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Spot on. I’ve been lucky so far but fully understand that’s not everyone's experience. What I don’t understand is why so many here are so against yellow books and ID cards!

I personally would be wholeheartedly in favour of them if they included 1 small, but IMHO critical, additional piece of information: namely, the date when our current permission to stay in Thailand expires. 

12 hours ago, Rawairat said:

Kathu, Phuket no problems had my ex with me as I live in her house, we do have a child that I look after so maybe that helped. Not sure how much use it is but I wanted a pink card with a ID number which I used as a Thai tax ID for my home country as proof I was a foreign resident for tax purposes. I have not had any problems with them and  I have not had to pay taxes there? I tried the revenue department but as I don't have any tax receipts in Thailand they wouldn't help me. No fees or charges for either the book or card, but it pays to have a fluent Thai speaker around.

Like some said, it depends on the office and person working there.

I got mine also in Kathu without any problem and the ID card the next day.

But i have friends who tried it in Phuket town and where unable to get one.

I use my Thai DL for all my domestic flights and the ID card for the hotels etc.

never a issue.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. Only Thais and those with permanent residency can be  registered in a blue house book.

I am an American citizen on a non-O retirement extension of stay. I had been renting a condo from a Thai citizen. When I needed a TM30 his rental agent (also Thai) in the condo office provided the blue book and some other stuff that we took down to immigration, and then returned to the agent. But the Thaiowner has just sold the condo I live in to a German foreigner on a non-O retirement extension of stay. Will the new German owner have a yellow book or a blue book for the condo where I live? Can I get a yellow book now, and therefore a pink card? If the German owner has a yellow book already, can there then be 2 yellow books? Does it matter if he changes his non-O from retirement to marrriage with a Thai wife?

Alternatively, my best friend, who lives down the street, offered to list me in the blue book for his house. Would that be legitimate? Does not sound like it, from your response above.  Could I get the yellow book preceding pink card that way?

7 hours ago, dave s said:

Will the new German owner have a yellow book or a blue book for the condo where I live?

The previous owner probably gave the blue book to the new owner, because the book belongs to the condo.

If he wants he can apply for a yellow book.

Can I get a yellow book now, and therefore a pink card?

You yourself not (maybe with a power of attorney somehow), but the owner / housemaster can go to the amphoe with you, apply for a yellow book and have you registered in it.

If the German owner has a yellow book already, can there then be 2 yellow books?

One house / condo can only have one blue and one yellow book, but every foreign temporary visitor staying at this place can be listed in the yellow book.

Does it matter if he changes his non-O from retirement to marrriage with a Thai wife?

No

Alternatively, my best friend, who lives down the street, offered to list me in the blue book for his house.

You as a temporary visitor can only be listed in a yellow book.

Only Thai citizens and foreigners with permanent residency can be listed as resident in a blue book.

Edited by jackdd

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

I personally would be wholeheartedly in favour of them if they included 1 small, but IMHO critical, additional piece of information: namely, the date when our current permission to stay in Thailand expires. 

A good idea but for having to be updated every year and effectively more work for us

People say the yellow book is in fact useless, but last week when I applied for a multiple re-entry permit (after renewing my visa by reason of retirement) it really seemed at one point that showing my yellow book allowed the officer to dispense with asking for a TM30. And that was why I got it in the first place. It was not a difficult process, tho it took some time at the local amphur. The amusing part was when the officer and my girlfriend worked to translate both my parents names into Thai.

22 minutes ago, Enzian said:

People say the yellow book is in fact useless, but last week when I applied for a multiple re-entry permit (after renewing my visa by reason of retirement) it really seemed at one point that showing my yellow book allowed the officer to dispense with asking for a TM30. And that was why I got it in the first place. It was not a difficult process, tho it took some time at the local amphur. The amusing part was when the officer and my girlfriend worked to translate both my parents names into Thai.

Which office was this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Which office was this?

I got the yellow book from Din Daeng amphur in Bangkok; the girlfriend and I live in her condo in that district. I go to Chaeng Wattana to renew my visa and get the multiple re-entry permit.

Edited by Enzian
additional info, and spell check mistake

12 hours ago, OJAS said:

The yellow house book and the pink ID-Card has nothing to do with Immigration and permissions. That's why Immigration info won't be a part of the standard info. The yellow house book is like a Certificate of Residence and the pink ID-Card is just a proof of having a yellow house book. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

The yellow house book and the pink ID-Card has nothing to do with Immigration and permissions. That's why Immigration info won't be a part of the standard info. The yellow house book is like a Certificate of Residence and the pink ID-Card is just a proof of having a yellow house book. 

In other words, then, completely useless in proving to the BIB, etc at roadside checks the legitimacy of our stay in Thailand in lieu of our passports. And, in my case, definitely not worth risking any repeat of all the hassle I experienced with an unsuccessful attempt to obtain a yellow book several years ago, which entailed a trip to the British Embassy in Bangkok for some letter required by my amphur, followed by several "fun" hours spent at MFA HQ at Chaengwattana while they faffed about over several versions of a certified translation of said letter before we finally came up with one which they deemed acceptable for endorsement purposes, only then to fall at the final fence when some eagle-eyed official back at the amphur spotted that the Thai transliteration of my surname stated in the translated Embassy letter didn't exactly match my wife's as stated in her ID card & blue tabien bahn!

Edited by OJAS

23 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Not true, the pink card says non-thai on it.

This has nothing to do with the 30 baht scheme, or social security. Do you mean these hospitals have dual pricing?

20 hours ago, kurtmartens said:

Wow.  Pretty angry response to a post that wasn't rude or harsh.  I don't think he was saying that Thais don't understand their own language, but certainly folks can read an article and come away with different opinions on what the article said.  Hell, happens in English every day .... daily on thaivisa.org in fact!  ????

There was no anger at all in my post. Why do you think there was anger?

He was criticizing the Thai language, implying Thais can't understand it.