Getting a Yellow Book

More than 3 weeks ago, my wife and I applied for a Yellow Book at the Tessa Baan in Samui. It was a major PITA. The person helping us was stupid beyond words, making so many mistakes as she created the documents that my wife almost lost it. She gave me 3 different nationalities in different places on the documents that she was creating, 3 different birthdates, none of them correct, all of this even though she had my passport in front of her. It was a very frustrating hour before things finally got done to my wife's satisfaction. We were told that it would be ready in a week and that they would call us. Three weeks later and we hadn't heard from them, so my wife went this morning to the Tessa Baan to see what was going on. She was told that the head guy would not allow the Yellow Book to be issued without first interviewing me. I mean, W.T.F.??? In order to get said interview, we need to call in the morning, any morning, and ask for an appointment to see him. Only then will the interview take place. No appointment possible, we have to call. When my wife pointed out that she had tried calling dozens of times, she was informed that their phones don't work and the idiot who was assigned to our case gave her her personal mobile phone number. Is this normal? The Yellow Book doesn't imbue me with any special rights that I'm aware of, just serves as proof of my residence. Why are they making it such a complicated process?

Edited by GalaxyMan

2 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Why are they making it such a complicated process?

Because the yellow book signifies you are a legal resident at a Thai property vs a temporary guest. They do not want to encourage people. I went with GF and they flatly denied saying need to be married. My neighbor who is married went after I told him about it and they told him we don't put foreigners in house books. End of story. Some districts more accommodating than others. I'm in Bang Yai BTW

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

...She gave me 3 different nationalities in different places on the documents that she was creating, 3 different birthdates, none of them correct, all of this even though she had my passport in front of her...

Unlike immigration offices, what you call a tessaban is not geared towards dealing with foreigners and I would not expect its employees to be familiar with reading foreign passports.

In the part of country where I got my yellow house registration book, I had to submit a certified copy of the passport issued by my embassy and a Thai translation of it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This way the officials at the district office could work with a document in Thai language.

The Land Office and Tessa Baan here in Samui are incredibly rude, staffed by lazy, congenital idiots. The Tessa Baan clerks spent most of their time eating and comparing photos from their phones while the waiting area was full of people waiting to be helped. The Amphur, Driver's License, and Immigration offices are great. The people are friendly, helpful, and seem to be working their butts off. All IMHO, of course.

It doesn't seem to matter which country it is when it comes to governmental bureaucrats. The bad/indifferent ones seem to pervade systems; Holland, Portugal, Israel, it usually sucked having to deal with any aspect of the government bureaucracy. There was always someone who found it easier to say no (and clearly enjoy it) than do their job.

The Thai way of having 'laws' that aren't really laws, just guidelines to ad lib from, apply or not apply, depending upon who the person is, varying from official to official, province to province, is a bit frustrating, to say the least. The total lack of consistency just makes things that much more difficult and confusing, as everything can change day to day, hour by hour.

Such is life... ????

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The yellow house book is specifically for temporary visitors.

They either have no idea what to do because it's the first time they do it, or act like it's difficult because they want to get paid. If OP had offered a few hundred baht the interview would probably not have been required.

Right, permanent residents get a blue book.

Some think that a yellow book gives them some sort of elevated status, which it doesn't. Ok, you get a pink card which states your are a foreigner; again some think this is something good, but doesn't have much use. This is the same card that Burmese migrant labourers get.

I got my yellow book with no problem, in 20 minutes.

How often do you use a yellow book? Once every 6 years to renew a drivers licence. A trip to immigration, which you do anyway, gives you a letter of residency for free or you can use a work permit.

If I worked in the place in Samui, I wouldn't want all long term tourists coming in to get a yellow book, which they don't need, as there are thousands.

• Sad 3

20 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Before we married, we tried twice, once on our own, once with a lawyer, to get an usufruct. The head guy at the land office said no usufructs for farangs. He was incredibly rude. This country is nuts.

Did you speak Thai to the head guy?

If not, what do you think would happen if a Thai went to your country and spoke in Thai at a government office?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

My wife's mate is a lawyer ,she told her it was a good idea to get a yellow book and pink card for me ,(havent bothered for 12 yrs) so off we went , i did sod all ,let the wife do it all ,here in Pattaya ,no problems ,both a waste of time ,never use them ,my driving licence is more use ,but the wife is happy  so ime happy .

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

My wife's mate is a lawyer ,she told her it was a good idea to get a yellow book and pink card for me ,(havent bothered for 12 yrs) so off we went , i did sod all ,let the wife do it all ,here in Pattaya ,no problems ,both a waste of time ,never use them ,my driving licence is more use ,but the wife is happy  so ime happy .

Totally agree. Why is your wife happy?

Friend of mine went to do it in Bangkok. They just flat out refused and said it can't be done. His missus made some calls and contacted some people, and voila, they told him to go back and they would do it. 

He has a yellow book and pink ID card now. 

11 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

A Yellow book and pink ID card are better as a matter of convenience as opposed to the more complex alternatives available.

Out of interest (other than producing it as proof of legality to drive at a police check of course) when was the last time you used your Thai Driving Licence for some sort of legal proof???? How often/many times have you been able to use it in that form??? And how many times has it been refused when offered??? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Friend of mine went to do it in Bangkok. They just flat out refused and said it can't be done. His missus made some calls and contacted some people, and voila, they told him to go back and they would do it. 

He has a yellow book and pink ID card now. 

Probably didn't like the look of them, or maybe hadn't had their daily fix of somtam.

Thais govt workers are not known for being lazy or cutting corners!!

Looks like another office to office variation on what they can/will do.

I collected mine about two weeks ago. Lots of paperwork but the officer at the municipal office filled in all the papers, we signed all the papers, took along a Thai witness (not related) to countersign and 5 weeks later the yellow book turned up. Next step was the Pink ID card which only took a morning to get. I find the card useful for hotel check in and obtaining Thai price discounts at some facilities....Must admit, not many though.

Not sure if it’s good for domestic air travel ID though. Will have to check that.

2 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

A Yellow book and pink ID card are better as a matter of convenience as opposed to the more complex alternatives available.

Out of interest (other than producing it as proof of legality to drive at a police check of course) when was the last time you used your Thai Driving Licence for some sort of legal proof???? How often/many times have you been able to use it in that form??? And how many times has it been refused when offered??? 

I recently used my DL to board a domestic flight to Bkk and book into a hotel. 

Also used it when I lost my social security card, so clinic could give me discount.

3 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

Looks like another office to office variation on what they can/will do.

I collected mine about two weeks ago. Lots of paperwork but the officer at the municipal office filled in all the papers, we signed all the papers, took along a Thai witness (not related) to countersign and 5 weeks later the yellow book turned up. Next step was the Pink ID card which only took a morning to get. I find the card useful for hotel check in and obtaining Thai price discounts at some facilities....Must admit, not many though.

Not sure if it’s good for domestic air travel ID though. Will have to check that.

Some airlines you can use pink card. The problem with others is that you name is in Thai, unlike a Thai ID card, or DL.

Best to take your passport.

I got my yellow book on 30 minute and the pink card in 20 min, even though I didn't want one.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Amphur told me I had to be married and resident for 12 months. When those both applied I went to ask for my yellow book and pink ID card. Told I needed another certified/translated copy of my passport and also my birth certificate. I pointed out if they had told me this previously I could have obtained these when I went to Embassy for marriage docs. Not worth another overnight in Bangkok so haven't bothered.

Edited by The Fugitive

12 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Just remember that when booking an airline ticket the name on the ticket MUST match the name exactly on the proof of ID you are presenting.

So, if using your PINK Card where your name is written in Thai, your name on the ticket must also be in Thai, but, if it's written in English, your ID (passport) with your name in English must be used. 

Not true.

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I recently used my DL to board a domestic flight to Bkk and book into a hotel. 

Also used it when I lost my social security card, so clinic could give me discount.

All of which you can also use your pink ID, although with the flight, the name on the ticket must be in Thai to match the ID card.

At clinics and hospitals you can register by just using a pink ID card but can't using a driving licence. You were just using your DL as an alternative form of photo ID.

28 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

What are the more complex alternative? Do to mean a free letter from immigration stating your address?

How many times have you used a pink foreigner Id card for legal proof?

Even the DL office in my area, wouldn't accept it as proof of address.

Edited by Neeranam

2 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

All of which you can also use your pink ID, although with the flight, the name on the ticket must be in Thai to match the ID card.

At clinics and hospitals you can register by just using a pink ID card but can't using a driving licence. You were just using your DL as an alternative form of photo ID.

How many times have you been issued a fight ticket with your name in Thai?