Getting a Yellow Book

2 hours ago, Thailand J said:

Different amphur different story.

I got my yellow book easy, just had to pay.

The lady at the front desk at the amphur made all the copies, for a fee.

She translated my documents, for a fee.

She provided two Thai witnesses, for a fee.

A few months later I run into her at the morning market. She told me to come in to get the pink card.

Again she prepared all the documents for a small fee, and told me to go to district office to get the pink card. She volunteered to come with me, I told her not to.

A few minutes after I arrived she walked into the office.

After I got the pink card she told me  she had acted as Thai witness and asked for 400B. I gave her 200B.

Don’t you just love entrepreneurs! Or did I mean opportunists.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How many times have you been issued a fight ticket with your name in Thai?

Last time we flew back from Chiang Mai. I (my wife) simply gave them my pink ID card at the booking office along with hers and they did everything. My wife kept it with her but it looked a bit like a till receipt if I remember correctly.

2 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

Last time we flew back from Chiang Mai. I (my wife) simply gave them my pink ID card at the booking office along with hers and they did everything. My wife kept it with her but it looked a bit like a till receipt if I remember correctly.

So you have never booked an airline ticket with your name in Thai and have never seen one. You can't, it is illegal. 

• Like 1

Feedback from others applying at the same office as the OP is that they're after a substantial bung (40k but might have gone up) which is why I for one have never bothered and have managed just fine without one.

HTH

Edited by evadgib

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

So you have never booked an airline ticket with your name in Thai and have never seen one. You can't, it is illegal. 

Well it certainly wasn't in English. I didn't even have my passport with me, and my ID card is only written in Thai, as you well know!!!!! I don't know where you get your info from but it's not illegal. 

17 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

The IO's charge for a letter of residence, you have the hassle of going to get one, have to say why you need it (eg: you can't get one to open a bank account then use it to get a driving licence) and they are only temporary and valid for three/six months.

The DL office wouldn't accept your ID card for proof of address because it's your yellow book does that.

As proof: There are many, but, off the top of my head, here's a list of some of the times I have needed/used my pink ID/yellow book in the past couple of years. 

Open a bank account

replace stolen bank cards

buy a car/motorcycle

buy a mobile phone

buy a sim card

renew a driving licence

domestic flight

register at a hospital

register at the tax office

Thai prices at various parks etc

sending/collecting mail/parcels via the post office

book into hotels

proof of residence when renewing my annual extensions

I owned a bank account two months ago without yellow book or foreigner ID.

I also bought a telephone ????

I registered at a hospital without these.

I go to the tax office with my tax return, th get never ask for proof of address.

Booking into hotels, not needed and actually add it doesn't have your passport number might not bcc allowed these days.

I just got a marriage extension and never showed my yellow book or foreigner card, I know many who don't have one and do it.

I also bought a car without showing these docs, and could buy a m/c of I had a dearth wish.

Are you trying to sell these things?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Feedback from others applying at the same office as the OP is that they're after a substantial bung (40k but might have gone up) which is why I for one have never bothered and have managed just fine without one.

HTH

What is "bung"?

Nobody in their right mind would pay 40k for something they don't need and real cost is 50 baht or so.

18 hours ago, bluesofa said:

สำเนาทะเบียนบ้าน และ ของจริง

สำเนาบัตรประชาชน และ ของจริง

สำเนาพาสปอร์ตแปลเป็นภาษาไทยจากสถานที่มีการรับรองจากกรมการปกครอง และ ของจริง

House registration document of the house owner. Copy & original

Identification card of the house owner. Copy & original

Thai translation of passport details page certified by an approved translator. Copy & original (include both parent’s full names)

My Amphur insisted my passport copy must be certified by my embassy before being translated and certified by the MFA which is NOT what it says in the official instructions.

6 minutes ago, Jaggg88 said:

My Amphur insisted my passport copy must be certified by my embassy before being translated and certified by the MFA which is NOT what it says in the official instructions.

As we know, they all make up their own interpretation given the chance. Must have been an 'r' in the month.

Every government office here is no different than Immigration, for some reason here in Thailand every government agency wants to have a power play regardless of what the head office says.

Got my yellow book and ID after a couple of hours of paperwork and interviews.

• Like 1

Sounds like just bad luck and getting the worst person without a clue in the office. 

I got mine 3 months ago in a place where foreigners are pretty uncommon so most places here aren't used to handling foreigners at all. 

However,  my wife went down there and asked what was required from us and they gave her a list. 

We followed the list and alltought the paperwork and the wait for the boss to come back from lunch to interview me took 2 hours we got the yellow book without any actual problems. 

Maybe we just got lucky, because they also wanted the head of our village to come down to sign/vouche for me and he turned out to be a good guy and happily did that for us and refused to take the 500 baht for the favor and taking up his time that we tried to give him afterwards. 

Kathu, Phuket no problems had my ex with me as I live in her house, we do have a child that I look after so maybe that helped. Not sure how much use it is but I wanted a pink card with a ID number which I used as a Thai tax ID for my home country as proof I was a foreign resident for tax purposes. I have not had any problems with them and  I have not had to pay taxes there? I tried the revenue department but as I don't have any tax receipts in Thailand they wouldn't help me. No fees or charges for either the book or card, but it pays to have a fluent Thai speaker around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Did you speak Thai to the head guy?

If not, what do you think would happen if a Thai went to your country and spoke in Thai at a government office?

Never said a word, let the wife and lawyer do all the talking. The guy never even looked at me.

So, my wife called the Tessa Baan this morning like they told her to and they told her that I had 30 minutes to get there, that there was still some paperwork to be done before the head guy could talk to me. So off I went in the rain on the scooter, 30 minutes to the Tessa Baan, and the same rude woman called me over as soon as I entered. She told me to sit, pointing to a chair, then spent the next 30+ minutes filling in forms, inputting into the computer, having me sign this and that, each time slapping the paper down in front of me and pointing to where I should sign. Never looked at me, never addressed me in any fashion. Then she handed me a yellow book.

Never saw a head guy, no interview of any sort. I asked if 'finished', she said no, more to do. So I waited. She finally threw 2 more documents at me and turned away. I asked if 'finished' and she angrily said yes, go to get ID.

One of other women working there very politely explained to me that I needed to go to the same place that you get a driver's license, so off I went, still raining. At the driver's license office, I was told that I didn't need an ID card, that my driver's licenses were enough. Not sure about this, so I'm waiting to talk to the wife when she gets home so that she can find out. I'm not at all stressed about the ID card, though having it can't hurt, and am extremely happy to finally have the yellow book.

Crazy country, like I said, but sometimes s.h.i.t. actually does happen.  ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

My wife's mate is a lawyer ,she told her it was a good idea to get a yellow book and pink card for me ,(havent bothered for 12 yrs) so off we went , i did sod all ,let the wife do it all ,here in Pattaya ,no problems ,both a waste of time ,never use them ,my driving licence is more use ,but the wife is happy  so ime happy .

When I went to get my yellow book some years ago, my wife came with me and done all the talking, she then came to me and said "he said to come back after lunch and he will say either yes or no, I gave her 1000 Bt to give him.

No prize for guessing what the answer was.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Right, permanent residents get a blue book.

I will stand corrected but I was under the impression that only Thai nationals can have a blue book with their name in it, that is why the yellow book surfices for most needs.

As with many many things in Thailand, the requirements to obtain a yellow book/ID card will vary from office to office, province to province, and even by who you see on the day.

This is also true for the use and acceptance of these items for various tasks/formalities etc in the requirement and acceptance of them.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

As with many many things in Thailand, the requirements to obtain a yellow book/ID card will vary from office to office, province to province, and even by who you see on the day.

This is also true for the use and acceptance of these items for various tasks/formalities etc in the use and acceptance of them.

Spot on. I’ve been lucky so far but fully understand that’s not everyone's experience. What I don’t understand is why so many here are so against yellow books and ID cards!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kuzie57 said:

I will stand corrected but I was under the impression that only Thai nationals can have a blue book with their name in it, that is why the yellow book surfices for most needs.

My understanding also; Blue Book for Thais, Yellow Book for non-Thais.

4 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

A Yellow book and pink ID card are better as a matter of convenience as opposed to the more complex alternatives available.

Out of interest (other than producing it as proof of legality to drive at a police check of course) when was the last time you used your Thai Driving Licence for some sort of legal proof???? How often/many times have you been able to use it in that form??? And how many times has it been refused when offered??? 

When you pay a bill like the electricity in big c ,they will not accept a pink card ,but will a passport or driving licence(it has your passport no on it) my Thai driving licence is always accepted ,as identification . 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

All of which you can also use your pink ID, although with the flight, the name on the ticket must be in Thai to match the ID card.

At clinics and hospitals you can register by just using a pink ID card but can't using a driving licence. You were just using your DL as an alternative form of photo ID.

belong to 4 govt hospitals ,all accepted my driving licence 

Queen Sirakit

Banglamung

Sri Racha 

And one in BKK

• Thanks 1