Getting a Yellow Book

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

In other words, then, completely useless in proving to the BIB, etc at roadside checks the legitimacy of our stay in Thailand in lieu of our passports. And, in my case, definitely not worth risking any repeat of all the hassle I experienced with an unsuccessful attempt to obtain a yellow book several years ago, which entailed a trip to the British Embassy in Bangkok for some letter required by my amphur, followed by several "fun" hours spent at MFA HQ at Chaengwattana while they faffed about over several versions of a certified translation of said letter before we finally came up with one which they deemed acceptable for endorsement purposes, only then to fall at the final fence when some eagle-eyed official back at the amphur spotted that the Thai transliteration of my surname stated in the translated Embassy letter didn't exactly match my wife's as stated in her ID card & blue tabien bahn!

My letter from the consulate went straight to my amphoe without need of translation. I think some parts were bilingual. But,to be quite honest, I'm not really in need of my yellow house book. It's been in a drawer collecting dust the last few years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Not true, the pink card says non-thai on it.

This has nothing to do with the 30 baht scheme, or social security. Do you mean these hospitals have dual pricing?

You can't even get thai prices in national parks anymore waving the pink ID-Card. In many provinces it's totally useless. They look at it and think you made it yourself. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

In other words, then, completely useless in proving to the BIB, etc at roadside checks the legitimacy of our stay in Thailand in lieu of our passports. And, in my case, definitely not worth risking any repeat of all the hassle I experienced with an unsuccessful attempt to obtain a yellow book several years ago, which entailed a trip to the British Embassy in Bangkok for some letter required by my amphur, followed by several "fun" hours spent at MFA HQ at Chaengwattana while they faffed about over several versions of a certified translation of said letter before we finally came up with one which they deemed acceptable for endorsement purposes, only then to fall at the final fence when some eagle-eyed official back at the amphur spotted that the Thai transliteration of my surname stated in the translated Embassy letter didn't exactly match my wife's as stated in her ID card & blue tabien bahn!

In reality, the transliteration between Thai and English is subjective, and can vary from translator to translator.

When I had my passport translated into Thai for the yellow book, I was fortunate to be told I could use a local (but an official) translator.

I transliterated my full name into Thai myself and told the translation office that was how I wanted it spelt. My first name and surname is always misread in English by Thais who (not their fault) have no idea how to pronounce a lot of English names.

18 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

In reality, the transliteration between Thai and English is subjective, and can vary from translator to translator.

When I had my passport translated into Thai for the yellow book, I was fortunate to be told I could use a local (but an official) translator.

I transliterated my full name into Thai myself and told the translation office that was how I wanted it spelt. My first name and surname is always misread in English by Thais who (not their fault) have no idea how to pronounce a lot of English names.

I agree re transcribing.

Three as no official translators in Thailand, no such certifting body. I've done some myself, just writing my name and phone number on it.

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I agree re transcribing.

Three as no official translators in Thailand, no such certifting body. I've done some myself, just writing my name and phone number on it.

Very true regarding that.

I was told by the amphur it needed to be an official translation: Their idea of 'official' was for a company teaching English to provide the translation on headed notepaper, signed and stamped with the company stamp.

I notice they had templates of a few different countries passport details translated into Thai already, so they just had to fill in the names, dates, etc.

50 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Very true regarding that.

I was told by the amphur it needed to be an official translation: Their idea of 'official' was for a company teaching English to provide the translation on headed notepaper, signed and stamped with the company stamp.

I notice they had templates of a few different countries passport details translated into Thai already, so they just had to fill in the names, dates, etc.

The amphur i was using did the translation them self, No official translation was required ????

19 minutes ago, merijn said:

The amphur i was using did the translation them self, No official translation was required ????

Yes, it's good when it's that straightforward.

Same rules, interpreted differently by different amphurs, different staff in the same amphur, same staff but on a different day, etc, etc.

Another example when there must have been an 'r' in the month.

23 minutes ago, merijn said:

Here in Samui, only a photocopy of the passport was required, no translation anything.

Edited by GalaxyMan

I paid 300 for stamped passport translation..but I gave them my chinote from my condo, to make sure they used a matching translation.  I moved a year and a half ago, and will have to return to old tesabaan and get the transfer formed signed..then it appears easy down here, since you already have the number.  A few advantages, and I think it might offer advantages, at the land office, when you sell..depending on how long you owned it.

I was informed by my Amphur Office of the documents required, in short it was everything they can get their hands on and then some !!!  I needed a notarized copy of my Passport, that Translated at an official (approved) translation service and the Translation certified by the MFA. 

I've got all the documents (notarized copy of Passport, and MFT certified translation etc).....

But.. I'm having to wait for a month just for the Appointment to have the Yellow book processed - almost too much of a faff but I'm half way through it now and just have to wait. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was informed by my Amphur Office of the documents required, in short it was everything they can get their hands on and then some !!!  I needed a notarized copy of my Passport, that Translated at an official (approved) translation service and the Translation certified by the MFA. 

I've got all the documents (notarized copy of Passport, and MFT certified translation etc).....

But.. I'm having to wait for a month just for the Appointment to have the Yellow book processed - almost too much of a faff but I'm half way through it now and just have to wait. 

It’s bizarre how different our experiences can be. On my 3rd yellow book now and never had even the slightest delay with only the most basic of documents required. My latest one was amusing, I had to be introduced to the top man, we just chatted generally, he asked if I was rich and seemed quite “interested “ in getting to know me! TIT expect the unexpected 

On 12/18/2019 at 5:26 PM, ivor bigun said:

well if what i pay is falang price ,the Thais must pay hardly anything ,Banglamung. ecg ,blood test and x ray ,plus doctor 1200 baht .

Some hospitals do run a single pricing structure. When I first registered with the cancer hospital in Chonburi it was with my passport and paid the same as everyone else. They also run like an MOT at a set price, ECG,bloods,urine,stool,X-ray and doctor, also mamogram for the fairer sex. Been a few times, last visit 2 years ago it was 1600 baht. I registered again with ID card as the procedure is to put the ID card in a plastic sleeve and staple it to the documents which are passed around the various depts, that wasn't so easy with a passport.

20 hours ago, sandyf said:

Some hospitals do run a single pricing structure. When I first registered with the cancer hospital in Chonburi it was with my passport and paid the same as everyone else. They also run like an MOT at a set price, ECG,bloods,urine,stool,X-ray and doctor, also mamogram for the fairer sex. Been a few times, last visit 2 years ago it was 1600 baht. I registered again with ID card as the procedure is to put the ID card in a plastic sleeve and staple it to the documents which are passed around the various depts, that wasn't so easy with a passport.

That's very interesting Sandy. 

Is that checkup only for (ex) cancer patients or is it available to everybody? I have been going for similar annual checkups at Phaya Thai hospital in Si Racha for a few years now but missed it last month. They normally do a dedicated annual slot in October/November. The Cancer hospital in Chonburi is literally five minutes from my house so would be an easy alternative. 

21 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

That's very interesting Sandy. 

Is that checkup only for (ex) cancer patients or is it available to everybody? I have been going for similar annual checkups at Phaya Thai hospital in Si Racha for a few years now but missed it last month. They normally do a dedicated annual slot in October/November. The Cancer hospital in Chonburi is literally five minutes from my house so would be an easy alternative. 

Yes it is open to everyone. They have introduced an appointment system now so you would need to go and make an appointment, I had to wait 4 weeks last time.

Also at that time they will give you a small plastic pot for the stool sample, urine you do while you are there.

When you make the appointment, check out where the queue numbers are. Then when you go for the checkup grab a queue number first before going to the desk.

I am just the other side of the bypass not far from the 344 junction.