Video: Two on "big bike" injured at Pattaya U-turn blackspot

webfact

Video: Two on "big bike" injured at Pattaya U-turn blackspot

6pm.jpg

Thai caption: U-turn car cuts in front

Footage from a helmet cam (lasting about one minute) showed the moment when a motorcycle collided with a car making a U-turn on Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya around 10 pm on Sunday night. 

A Sawang Boriboon rescue official said on the video that two people - a man and a woman - were seriously injured. The man had arm injuries and the woman was unconscious. 

He said the bike was a CB(R) 650 known as a "big bike" in Thailand due to a fairly large engine capacity.

77kaoded reported that the couple were taken to hospital in Pattaya then transferred to Sri Racha where they remained under the care of medical staff. 

They said it happened at a blackspot where there were frequent accidents and suggested in their report that people should take care on the roads especially with New Year coming up. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-18

WARNING: Some scenes in the video may be disturbing for some viewers. Discretion is advised

i had a red plated MERC do a U turn right in front of me (6 point turn) on beach road Jomtien, dont know how the hell i missed him, it was the old *do you know who i am thingy* he could have gone down to the next soi and turned, but no this a hole decided he was going to u turn in a narrow section with cars both sides of the road,  Duh !!

Unfortunately too many motorcycle riders "think" cars have to stay in their lane and if they change the lane they should expect a motorcycle with high speed approaching.

Wrong!

Obviously car drivers should look in their mirrors and they should indicate early that they intend to change the lane. But nobody can really blame a car driver if he does not think that that little white point in his mirror could be a high speed bike.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Unfortunately too many motorcycle riders "think" cars have to stay in their lane and if they change the lane they should expect a motorcycle with high speed approaching.

Wrong!

Obviously car drivers should look in their mirrors and they should indicate early that they intend to change the lane. But nobody can really blame a car driver if he does not think that that little white point in his mirror could be a high speed bike.

The car in this case was not just switching lanes. It cut across several lanes from the left side of the road to get to the u-turn on the right side. Check the video. While I think the motorbike rider was going a bit too fast (not crazy fast, 120kph), the car was clearly wrong to do what it did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

but I saw on many U turns that there are clear warnings

At many U-turns there are no or inadequate signs..sometimes just a yellow or Thai flag waving obscured by trees

there is also lot of "visual clutter" shop signs, advertising hoardings,rubbish,stray dogs,food vendors,underage kids,over age grannies,sand,potholes,sinkholes,vehicles with no lights, wrong way drivers etc to overload the brain..

That particular stretch of Sukhumvit is between the tunnel and South Pattaya road its a fast 4 lane (each way) race track

even when they ( constantly ) dig it up for the newest reason.????

4 minutes ago, johng said:

At many U-turns there are no or inadequate signs..sometimes just a yellow or Thai flag waving obscured by trees

there is also lot of "visual clutter" shop signs, advertising hoardings,rubbish,stray dogs,food vendors,underage kids,over age grannies,sand,potholes,sinkholes,vehicles with no lights, wrong way drivers etc to overload the brain..

And what do we do when we know there is also lot of "visual clutter" shop signs, advertising hoardings,rubbish,stray dogs,food vendors,underage kids,over age grannies,sand,potholes,sinkholes,vehicles with no lights, wrong way drivers etc?

Riding with high speed in such an area is definitely a very stupid idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Riding with high speed in such an area is definitely a very stupid idea

Like I said earlier  its a wide 4 lane "motorway"  the traffic is often fast, the U-turns are often badly signed..if you are unfamiliar with the road  its easy to be "caught out"  but yes the bike  was going too fast..we can't really see from the video is what the car did...making a u-turn from the left lane cutting straight across the other 3 lanes is pretty stupid too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The (poorly positioned?) helmet cam seems to be pointed down at the speedo and the road surface directly in front of the bike rather than looking further ahead down the road. 

I wonder if the rider was also staring at the speedometer and not looking where they actually should have been? 

Yes i think so.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, denishuahin said:

Yes i think so.

Nonsense. He wouldn't be able to ride with his head tilted down like that. It's the camera only. But that's not a good sign if he tilted the camera at this angle. It shows the intention of capturing the speedo instead of what's ahead.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sure, the car driver was wrong. And so was the motorcycle rider.

If the car driver would have looked into his mirror let say 10 seconds ago, what would he have seen?

And for the biker: The car won't be able to make a U turn with high speed. This means the car was already driving slow or it was braking to reduce speed. Any of this should have alerted a rider, if he was looking straight ahead, that he should be aware of any stupid actions of that car.

I don't know about this U turn but I saw on many U turns that there are clear warnings normally more than once before the actual U-turn. That fact together with the slow and maybe braking car should have switched on all the alarm bells of that rider.

Because blaming the car driver is not really helpful if you are in the hospital or dead. Looking ahead is a lot better and safer.

I also think both were wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing the bike rider.

I think the car was nearly stationary, not going at slow speed. I've seen this too many times where some vehicle will be stationary at the far left of the road, waiting for the right moment to cross the road across all lanes instead of previously switching to the right lane to make the u-turn. Many even just enter the road at that spot, coming from some soi, house, parking lot etc. The real experts will even ride/drive a bit in the wrong direction to get to the u-turn ???? They should first drive on the left side and one by one switch lanes to the right and then make the u-turn at the next location but they see a u-turn 50m away from them so they obviously need to take that one...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Do my eyes deceive me, or from the helmetcam footage doesn't the bike appear to be travelling at 140Km/Hr?

Exactly... and there isn't any where in Pattaya on Sukhumvit where he should be doing that sort of speed. I had reason to be riding the bike home on Sukhumvit myself last night, (something I avoid as it is dodgy). Lots of racing bikes, one or two big  ones. Mostly kids on smaller machines without helmets.