Report from the Ground at Swampy Immigration

14 hours ago, Denim said:

Those online booking agents have a certain quota and you often find ' no room available ' if you book late.

I have found this often in Thailand.

To get around this I just phone the hotel direct and reserve a room. Always turns out they have rooms available.

Back in the UK this didn't work. If an online site said no rooms then this was nearly always the case even if I called the hotel myself.

Can't understand why two people are confused ?? There is no law obliging you to book online. Look at the pictures of the place you are considering then find the phone number of the place and call them direct and ask about room availability and price.

I frequently do this. Sometimes its more expensive sometimes cheaper and sometimes the same.

Some places quote a cheaper price for Thais so if the wife is around I get her to speak.

Nothing at all confusing.

Don't be conned by booking.com etc. ....check the facts for yourself.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 2

I have never found a hotel that will match or beat the agoda price in person.   Many times I have sat in the lobby and booked the room on Agoda to save a couple hundred baht and then go back to the check-in counter. One clerk told me they can get in trouble and lose their listing on Agoda if they are caught booking at a lower price.   five trips ago I said screw this and use Airbnb 90% and I hope I'm staying in some of you old grumps condos.  I will be the  fit guy swimming a mile in your totally empty pool.   I hardly see another person on the floors of the condos I stay at.  Great value, size, laundry, kitchen.  

Any reports on if the  airport exit door xray machines  are up and running  and manned 100%?

Edited by Elkski
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Can't understand why two people are confused ?? There is no law obliging you to book online. Look at the pictures of the place you are considering then find the phone number of the place and call them direct and ask about room availability and price.

I frequently do this. Sometimes its more expensive sometimes cheaper and sometimes the same.

Some places quote a cheaper price for Thais so if the wife is around I get her to speak.

Nothing at all confusing.

Don't be conned by booking.com etc. ....check the facts for yourself.

I never been conned by Booking.Com I always had a great deal for the price I ask for.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

wgdanson what can't you understand I answered to the post of Demin

I didn't know that the customer asked hotels.com for a price.

Surely, they offer a price and it's up to you to take it or not.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

wgdanson what can't you understand I answered to the post of Demin

You can ask for a price on booking.com?

I thought you looked for a hotel in the area that you're intending to visit and they

give you a list of hotels and the price for the room on the appropriate date.

Sorry, already mentioned.

Edited by shy coconut
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

I didn't know that the customer asked hotels.com for a price.

Surely, they offer a price and it's up to you to take it or not.

Yes of course but so do all the other ones. I use booking .com all the time

because I can book hotels with no credit card since I don't have one.

• Confused 1