Interior Ministry to fight drought

rooster59

Interior Ministry to fight drought

By The Nation

800_908f2cd63d7864a.jpg

Deputy Interior Minister Songsak Thongsri visited the Rayong Operations Centre of the Eastern Water Resources Development and Management on Thursday (December 19). to see firsthand the water situation.

Eastern Water gave a report on the water reservoir management and technology in the region, which is an important industrial area and has a high demand for water from local businesses. The Centre has negotiated with customers and asked them to reduce water usage by 10 per cent from December 15. It has also identified an additional water resource in the private sector and is maintaining pumping stations to enhance its performance in bringing water from Bang Pakong River to reservoirs.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379657

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-21

Where i am the river has all but dried up in places. Peoples' water supplies are already getting set to intermittent.

I suspect some kind of demonstrations will be made as the supplies i can't see lasting a whole 6 months til the rains come.

• Like 1

The situation is getting bad here in Wichianburi,phetchabun province,the Pasak river is now a series of pools,there is zero flow ,this usually does not occur until beginning of feb, many of the ponds around are dry,water has already started to become cloudy,i may be forced to dig a bore well this year,and after a week of cooler weather it is not back to 36c,global warming i think.While we had less rain than normal this wet season,i look at the rainfall figures on the gov met site,some places got only 500mm,that is starting to verge on  an arid climate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Am I correct in saying that almost a year ago our esteemed prime minister 'told' his minions to sort out the water crisis in two days?

Or was that one of the many instructions he gave to other departments?

Like all his 'orders' it went to the 'In one ear and out the other' department !

• Haha 2

If the Government wants to make the population listen and conserve- he simply has to tell the nation- there will be no water throwing during Sonkran. 

He won't do it.  The country will waste billions of litres while crops  sizzle and die. Prices in the markets will rise to all time highs and the Government will simply shrug it's shoulders just like it always does when there are fllods; disaster; fires and  traffic jams.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 11:55 AM, bluesofa said:

Am I correct in saying that almost a year ago our esteemed prime minister 'told' his minions to sort out the water crisis in two days?

Or was that one of the many instructions he gave to other departments?

Needn't go back a year.

Aug. 2019: PM orders IMMEDIATE solutions to water shortage in Northeast.

Nov. 2019: Crisis solved.

11-23-2019:

• RID says of the water available in Thailand, some will be retained as an additional 3-month supply in case of insufficient rainfall ahead of the new crop season.
  • Some of the water availability in the Chao Phraya River Basin has been allocated for consumption and environmental protection over the next 9 months.
  • RID reports that the Chao Phraya River is sufficient for consumption until next year’s dry season.

11-28-2019:

• the Minister of Public Health says about a potential drought in 20 provinces that all hospitals in affected provinces already have drought management plans in place.
  • Deputy Interior Minister confirmed that the Huai Saneng Reservoir and Ampuen Resevoir have enough water to drink and use for farming with 100.5% capacity and 106% capacity respectively in preparation for anticipated drought next year.

Dec. 2019: Droughts don't care about human platitudes.

On 12/21/2019 at 7:47 PM, billd766 said:

But you need the right type of clouds to be in the right place at the right time.

...you 2 beat me to it!

Just send up the miracle plains to "seed" or even "make" miracle clouds, like you pretended, it was possible, because we were teld so...