'Oh my God, look at that ship!': massive cruise liners collide off Mexico

rooster59

'Oh my God, look at that ship!': massive cruise liners collide off Mexico

By Lizbeth Diaz

2019-12-20T183922Z_1_LYNXMPEFBJ1OT_RTROPTP_4_MEXICO-TOURISM-CRASH.JPG

Carnival Glory cruise ship crashes into Carnival Legend at Cozumel cruise port, Mexico December 20, 2019 in this still image taken from a video obtained from social media. Matthew Bruin via REUTERS

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Two Carnival Corp <CCL.N> cruise ships collided on Friday in the port of Mexico's Caribbean resort of Cozumel, the luxury cruise operator said, crushing the stern of a 952-foot-long (290-meter) vessel and leaving passengers stunned at the loud impact.

One person was lightly injured while evacuating a dining room on the massive ship named Carnival Glory, according to Carnival, the world's largest cruise operator. A passenger said the incident occurred during rough sea conditions.

"Carnival Glory was maneuvering to dock when it made contact with Carnival Legend which was already alongside," the company said in a statement. "We are assessing the damage but there are no issues that impact the seaworthiness of either ship."

Carnival added that the ship itineraries were not affected.

Civil protection authorities in Cozumel said the incident took place at around 8:30 a.m. (1430 GMT) and that officials were investigating.

Passenger Jordan Moseley said he was eating breakfast on the docked Carnival Legend, a 963-foot-long (294-meter) ship that can hold more than 2,000 passengers, when he felt the crash.

"All of a sudden we felt the ship rock to one side and then back into place," Moseley told Reuters. "A few minutes later, the cruise director announced that the Carnival Glory had crashed into our ship while docking due to the high winds and rough ocean conditions in Cozumel."

A video taken from an upper deck of Carnival Glory, which can carry nearly 3,000 passengers, shows pieces of the ship tumble onto the deck of the oncoming vessel, with some splashing into the churning water.

"Oh my God, look at that ship!" an onlooker can he heard saying in the video posted on social media.

Other images of the battered vessel show a railing along the Carnival Glory stern bent downwards at a roughly 45-degree angle, revealing a twisted and mangled ship interior.

Christopher Macijeski, who was on a third cruise ship nearby, said there was a loud boom from the impact.

"Could see it coming before it happened," he said.

(Reporting by Lizbeth Diaz, Oleksandr Ieltsov and Mariana Sandoval; Additional reporting and writing by Daina Beth Solomon, Editing by Alistair Bell and Will Dunham)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-01

16 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

One was, but the other collided in the process of docking or maneuvering. Minor structural damage on the stern area.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/20/watch-the-moment-two-carnival-cruise-ships-crash-off-mexican-port/

So where's the dock in the picture?

Sorry, looked at the video to see one ship was anchored.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

"Carnival Glory was maneuvering to dock when it made contact with Carnival Legend which was already alongside," the company said in a statement.

'made contact'

I'll remember to use that phrase in my accident report if I crash into make contact with another vehicle.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

"due to the high winds and rough ocean conditions in Cozumel."

Nowhere to be seen on the video.

Watch the video more closely and listen. You can here the high winds and see the rough seas. And check out the flag on the stern of the ship. It's flapping strongly in the wind.

Quite apart from that, even a light wind can have a big effect on such a large vessel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Watch the video more closely and listen. You can here the high winds and see the rough seas. And check out the flag on the stern of the ship. It's flapping strongly in the wind.

Quite apart from that, even a light wind can have a big effect on such a large vessel.

I would expect to see a flag located high up on the stern to be 'Flapping' in the wind and the 'noise' from the wind is typical of that recorded by a video camera or smartphone microphone out in the open. Yes, there are waves; but they don't look out of the ordinary and nothing more than a competent Captain would have to deal with in normal circumstances with such a huge vessel, plus the fact that these ships 'dock' regularly at these locations and know the ropes. Captain or helmsman removed to an 'inactive post' if of Thai origin?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

I would expect to see a flag located high up on the stern to be 'Flapping' in the wind and the 'noise' from the wind is typical of that recorded by a video camera or smartphone microphone out in the open. Yes, there are waves; but they don't look out of the ordinary and nothing more than a competent Captain would have to deal with in normal circumstances with such a huge vessel, plus the fact that these ships 'dock' regularly at these locations and know the ropes. Captain or helmsman removed to an 'inactive post' if of Thai origin?

I would actually judge the wind to be 3 to 4 on the Beaufort Scale. That's from observing the sea state and the flag. Those huge cruise ships with their high sides and shallow draft (necessary for going into places such as Cozumel) make them very susceptible to the effects of wind, especially a crosswind.

I agree, a competent captain and helm should be capable of dealing with such conditions, but that wasn't what I pointing out. Earlier posters didn't seem to think there were difficult conditions at the time. There where.

Just shows that you have to be more careful and attentive in high wind situations.

The captain of the Glory must feel pretty sheepish for his ship to damage the

other company ship, wonder how his Christmas will be. Glad it was not my former

company, as the street would be his future.

Geezer

On 12/21/2019 at 3:30 PM, wgdanson said:

Neither of those ships look like they are docked.

Maybe some collateral damage... no pier in sight as it leant to port under the clash of the titans, and sank instead?

• Haha 1

On 12/21/2019 at 12:16 PM, FritsSikkink said:

"due to the high winds and rough ocean conditions in Cozumel."

Nowhere to be seen on the video.

Look at the penant on the stern of the maneuvering Carnival Glory. That's getting up around 25 knots I reckon. These boats present a huge 'sail' effect in higher winds and low forward velocity so surprised they didn't have tug assistance. Maybe the new Captain will.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Look at the penant on the stern of the maneuvering Carnival Glory. That's getting up around 25 knots I reckon. These boats present a huge 'sail' effect in higher winds and low forward velocity so surprised they didn't have tug assistance. Maybe the new Captain will.

25 knots is nothing for these ships. The waves are tiny. Been on them with 10 Beaufort, then it is difficult, this is just a breeze.

On 12/22/2019 at 9:18 PM, FritsSikkink said:

25 knots is nothing for these ships. The waves are tiny. Been on them with 10 Beaufort, then it is difficult, this is just a breeze.

You are not a SAILor and don't know anything about wind and SAILS. Cruising in an open sea at +14 knots in a "10 Beaufort" is a dawdle in an ocean cruising liner... that's what they're built for. But restricted maneuvering on the clutch and bow thruster in a Force 5, near shore in shallow water is totally different. These are nothing less than huge floating apartment blocks that present thousands of square meters of SAIL to the wind.

I crewed a shallow draft, high-sided workboat in Cuba and the very experienced skipper never managed to come alongside when there was a brisk 20 knots off the jetty and would give up and drop the hook. We would disembark via Zodiac. His replacement was a 26 year-old who raced yachts in his off time and he could spin and park the bus in a jiffy, all secured, no drama. We loved the guy as we got to the bar quicker!

Glad you enjoyed your cruise(s) though.