Are all Thai bass players and sound engineers stupid

Brer

I have never seen as many P.A. systems as in Thailand.   It is because it is hot,  so eveyone has open windows.  Every market night there is a guy with cabinets and horns and he Blasts it forth like so much miasm. 

Noises from the road, from the animals, the kids, the mopeds, the bus...   fortunatley the back yard is a river,   so no traffic there and not much noise.

When I first came to LOS, i couldn't get used to it.   Hearing the neighbors in the loo,  or babies crying, Roosters crowing, very noisy place Thailand.   

Lovely folks.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

There are many bands here where the guitarists don’t make the grade, no I won’t go down that street or I will find myself apologizing to the good bass players.

Keyboard man myself.

I watched a band the other night and the goose was standing in front of his speaker don’t think he had a clue about his sound, now he was loud even his mates in the band were giving him the evil eye but he would have had no idea being in front of his speaker.

3 hours ago, Brer said:

Are all Thai bass players and sound engineers stupid.

Will they ever realise that music is something that should be enjoyed without the bass been louder than anything else.

Wait until you get a funeral for 7 days next door or near you, then you can access it in more detail. ????

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brer said:

Are all Thai bass players and sound engineers stupid.

Will they ever realise that music is something that should be enjoyed without the bass been louder than anything else.

Wait until you get a funeral for 7 days next door or near you, then you can access it in more detail. ????

Standard in Thailand, i guess Thais just don't hear it the way we hear it because they heard sound like this all their life.

Same with the general volume. At most parties they turn up the volume so much that the sound is distored, but this doesn't bother anybody.

Edited by jackdd

Our company hired a popular (and expensive) Thai seminar company to do a team building session over a few days away from the office.  The facilitator kept getting frustrated because people wouldn't follow his instructions.  What he didn't realize is that most of us couldn't make out what he was asking us to do, over the booming bass from the PA system.

So I don't think it's the bass players.  It's the soundmen...

• Like 1

Know what you mean but, in Thighland, it is not sound they are typically interested in but volume. It's what they're brought up on. If a budding Thai sound engineer were to start at a new job and set the bottom end flat with no coloured bass they would not last long. I've met some with an ear but none willing to buck the trend.

The OP must be new to Thailand not knowing the here the more bass the better until the speaker's membrane can't take it anymore and the rip apart, and to ridicule the thais for not having a delicate ear to the finely tuned bass is like saying why thais not big fans of cheese...

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

The OP must be new to Thailand not knowing the here the more bass the better until the speaker's membrane can't take it anymore and the rip apart, and to ridicule the thais for not having a delicate ear to the finely tuned bass is like saying why thais not big fans of cheese...

Not new to Thailand bud, it was just having to listen for four hours to relentless bass.

A lot of my Thai friends do like cheese, you would not blame Thais for not liking the bland junk they sell in supermarkets here though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I was a pro bass player for many years, probably too many. But my 72 Fender jazz Bass with Rotosound Swing bass strings, through an Ampeg 400VT head with a Fender Bassman cab containing two JBL KT140s took some beating.

But I completely agree with you. Thias just whack up the bass, and hence overload the amp, creating a square wave, which f...s the speakers, and the audiences ears no end.

In the Cavern days, Macca used a 15 watt amp! (at first)

Remember going to a concert in Stockholm to see Modern Romance, a popular band of the day, and the bass was SOOOO loud the top cabs fell off the bins. Met the sound engineer in the gents at half time and said to him that I thought the bass was 'a bit loud'. He told me that he had been the sound engineer for the Who for many years. I said to him 'That explains everything. Your ears are f''''ed!.

Yes me the same as in freelance gigging for bands and in bands. Fender Power Jazz bass and would use either 4-10s in cabinet or 2 - 15's. I used roto sound strings as well and they ground my frets down to nubs.  Just about to purchase a beautiful new bass and guitar in about a week as a present for myself. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes me the same as in freelance gigging for bands and in bands. Fender Power Jazz bass and would use either 4-10s in cabinet or 2 - 15's. I used roto sound strings as well and they ground my frets down to nubs.  Just about to purchase a beautiful new bass and guitar in about a week as a present for myself. 

Which one though?

My brother in law hires out himself and his sound equipment for the local weddings, funerals etc. He has 2 setups one he calls small, and one he calls big. The big one takes 4 wiry Thai's to lift one cabinet on and off the pickup. It costs double the hire rate for events and most take this option.

He is forever having the big ones repaired and I keep telling him to turn down the bass. He agrees but claims its the customers who insist on volume to 'impress' the neighbours. One even threatened to not pay him if he didnt't turn it up full bung!

To be honest when he does a local  school outside gig using the small one I can hear it 1Km away. When he uses the big one it sounds like it's in my kitchen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Yeah, if we let you decide, they are probably stupid. On the other hand, most people will only see your try to put all in one box as a small and harmless opinion.

Oh you write some good lyrics, think I might have a nice riff for that