Japanese man stabbed after resisting street robbery in downtown Bangkok

webfact

Japanese man stabbed after resisting street robbery in downtown Bangkok

2pm.jpg

Thai caption: Cruel! Man from the land of raw fish stabbed in robbery

A national police spokesman has assured the public that the Thai police will do everything to assure their safety after a Japanese man was stabbed in a violent robbery in the Ekkamai area at the weekend. 

Two men on a motorcycle confronted the 37 year old Japanese man outside a house in Ekkamai Soi 10 sub-soi 6. 

He resisted the attempt to steal his bag and was stabbed in the arm, shoulder and head. The men got away with 20,000 baht and an ATM card that was in the bag. 

Spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said the men had been on a Honda Super Cub motorcycle and that CCTV in the immediate and wider vicinity was being examined after the attack at 1.20 am on Saturday. 

The victim is recovering and is out of danger. 

Krissana assured the public that national police chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda took the matter seriously and promised fast action and swift justice. 

Police had been ordered to be on the lookout for such crime and safeguard the public in high risk places such as banks, convenience stores and gold shops. 

Channel 7 reported that the police in the case of the Japanese man think there may be a connection to a similar crime committed in the nearby Thong Lor area at the end of November. 

Source: Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-24

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, webfact said:

A national police spokesman has assured the public that the Thai police will do everything to assure their safety after a Japanese man was stabbed in a violent robbery in the Ekkamai area at the weekend. 

They always spring into action AFTER the fact.

regards Worgeordie

This is serious $hit, and it's NOT good news for any and all foreigners who thought that BKK is a safe place to be in all hours of the day, i live just around the corner and this is a major shift to everything i took for granted in this country, let us hope that this is and will be an isolated incident and there will be no more...

When the economy goes to the toilet, some people turn to crime. Bangkok being covered by tens of thousands of CCTV cameras will show the culprits and most likely identify them, then track their route fairly quickly. Question is what would happen when they are caught? 500 baht and a wai? Hardly a deterrent.

21 minutes ago, ezzra said:

This is serious $hit, and it's NOT good news for any and all foreigners who thought that BKK is a safe place to be in all hours of the day, i live just around the corner and this is a major shift to everything i took for granted in this country, let us hope that this is and will be an isolated incident and there will be no more...

Wishful thinking. After all, it is christmas.

11 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

When the economy goes to the toilet, some people turn to crime. Bangkok being covered by tens of thousands of CCTV cameras will show the culprits and most likely identify them, then track their route fairly quickly. Question is what would happen when they are caught? 500 baht and a wai? Hardly a deterrent.

Since when has stabbing somebody only resulted in 500 baht and a wai? We all know that the system ain´t what it should be, but posting total rubbish ain´t helping either.

54 minutes ago, ezzra said:

The guy was an obvious target. Who on earth carries a back pack with 20k in it. 

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:
3 hours ago, webfact said:

regards Worgeordie

Brilliant, you expect the police to act before an offence has been committed?

1 hour ago, potless said:

There is no such thing as a safe city. There is no way to actually prevent random crime. Criminals tend to operate when police are not around. 

As far as mega cities go I’d say Bangkok is extremely safe. This may have more to the story and if it doesn’t this guy must have been followed from an atm if it was exactly 20k. A story like this is very rare. It doesn’t make Bangkok unsafe. 

21 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

It doesn’t make Bangkok unsafe. 

I agree. My post was a part response to Ezzras post {no 4}. He seemed particularly upset by the incident. There are probably more such incidents that dont get reported to either the police or the media.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Yeah ... that is how it is everywhere in the world, ok ... except the part you come from where the police have psychic powers and know in advance where crimes will be committed.  You see, in the real world ...it goes like this (First: Crime) (Second: Police involvement) (Third: Enhanced Patrols)  Once again, except where you come from, where entire platoons stand at the ready ... guarding all 12,000,000 people, 24/7 ... 365 ... and there is absolutely NO crime!  What an amazing Farangatopia Please remind us .. where is this magical place?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

You can try to assure the public as much as you want if, in the end, however, you are not able to maintain order, beautiful words are not needed!
You have not yet realized that Thailand is sliding faster and faster towards crime, I compare Thailand today to Kenya 30 years ago!
You don't have a police force but only individuals who play cops, most of the time they are busy with other jobs!

2 hours ago, potless said:

There is no such thing as a safe city. There is no way to actually prevent random crime. Criminals tend to operate when police are not around. 

Pretty much the only time I ever see police around downtown Bangkok is three types of places:

1. sitting around in their traffic boxes at various intersection.

2. individual ones sitting inside gold shops, presumably because the shops are paying them to act as guards.

3. blocking off side streets and overpasses when some VIP caravan is going to be driving down the road.

Other than than that, days and weeks can pass without me ever seeing a cop / cop car around downtown BKK when I'm out and around. They certainly don't patrol on any kind of regular basis, AFAICT. Lord knows where they all are and what they're doing every day.

8 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

Yeah ... that is how it is everywhere in the world, ok ... except the part you come from where the police have psychic powers and know in advance where crimes will be committed.  You see, in the real world ...it goes like this (First: Crime) (Second: Police involvement) (Third: Enhanced Patrols)  Once again, except where you come from, where entire platoons stand at the ready ... guarding all 12,000,000 people, 24/7 ... 365 ... and there is absolutely NO crime!  What an amazing Farangatopia Please remind us .. where is this magical place?

It seems to me that you have not really understood what Worgeordie means, in our countries the police are present and patrol on the streets, which in Thailand they don't even know things'!
I pass seven (7) police stations daily without seeing a policeman.
Wake up before it's too late!

5 minutes ago, 30la said:

in our countries the police are present and patrol on the streets, which in Thailand they don't even know things'!
I pass seven (7) police stations daily without seeing a policeman.
Wake up before it's too late!

When in central London earlier this year, I didnt see one single policeman patrolling the streets. Also police stations have been closed down or have part time opening hours. Its been like that for years.

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

You suggestion of a 500 baht fine and a wai are ridiculous, if caught they get a lot more than that.

Archived