Japanese man stabbed after resisting street robbery in downtown Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Me regularly, usually a lot more. What is your point? I deserved to get stabbed by someone who has no idea what is in my backpack?

BTW I travel in and out of Thailand regularly (monthly) so always have well over 20k baht (usually 60k plus equivalent) in Baht USD AUD and other currencies.

Some people look more if a target than others. Perhaps he looked like he had something to give and maybe you don’t, 

6 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Some people look more if a target than others. Perhaps he looked like he had something to give and maybe you don’t, 

quite likely, but I'm usually wheeling a suitcase as well. But neither after I've checked into the hotel. Some people are crim magnets. Nothing will change for some people. I tend to get around looking like a lazy bum in Thailand when I'm not working. Nothing worth pinching is my look. Wife hates it....5555.... that's the Aussie in me.....really couldn't care.

7 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Many years ago I was pickpocketed for about 16,000 Baht coming up the escalator off S'vit tube station. I'd been to the ATM the day before and taken out 20k Baht. As I was waiting to use the ATM I saw a guy wearing sunglasses maybe 30 meters away watching me. (There were filipino gangs operating in BKK at that time?!).

So the mugger followed you for 24 hours before deciding to strike? 

10 minutes ago, Nkpjed said:

The moral of this story is don’t be out at 1:20am.  There’s no reason to be and your chances of being the victim of a crime sky rockets.  

Plenty of reasons to be out at 1:20 am, most clubs are only starting to kick in at that time.

11 minutes ago, Nkpjed said:

The moral of this story is don’t be out at 1:20am.  There’s no reason to be and your chances of being the victim of a crime sky rockets.  

Nonsense. Plenty of reasons to be out at 1:20am and a lot later. I love watching the sun come up in Soi4 Bangkok......the things and the people you meet/see!! An education and bucket list thing if you've never done it. I really mean that.

1 hour ago, Genmai said:

Don't know if this is supposed to be some funny joke on the media's part but it really comes across as insensitively rubbing salt in the wound. 

Could you imagine the "netizens" outcry if a Thai victim is referred in the news as "man from the land of pickled/rotten bait salads and transvestites"?

It should translate as Land of Sushi. Ive heard it referred to as Fashion Land. Its not offensive.

10 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

It should translate as Land of Sushi. Ive heard it referred to as Fashion Land. Its not offensive.

Not offensive, i agree, perhaps the writer meant to be funny, which is inappropriate imho when talking about a poor guy being robbed and stabbed.

28 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Nonsense. Plenty of reasons to be out at 1:20am and a lot later. I love watching the sun come up in Soi4 Bangkok......the things and the people you meet/see!! An education and bucket list thing if you've never done it. I really mean that.

The sun doesn’t usually come up at 1:20am.  You can’t argue with statistics.  Late night and early morning hours are when these crimes occur.  Good luck and stay safe.

8 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Quite a few people. I've carried 800,000baht after getting £ exchanged into baht, in fact carried the Baht all the way to Trang on the train till I got to my bank. When lived in BKk and I went to an atm I would always take out 20,000baht at a time. I had a friend who would always go out with £1,000 in his wallet. Different people, different ways. 

I think you are missing the utter riduculousness of the question, given 20000 baht, just hpens to be the exact amount of money everyone entering the country on a tourist visa is required to carry.

3 hours ago, Nkpjed said:

There are many reasons to be out at that time. What are you the gatekeeper of bed times?

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"Krissana assured the public that national police chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda took the matter seriously and promised fast action and swift justice." 

Acting swiftly AFTER it has happened , maybe because its a Japanese guy,you would never heard about if it was a Thai.

regards worgeordie

Is that the fault of the police or media.

Do you exist purely to make ridiculous statements?

14 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Wishful thinking. After all, it is christmas.

Since when has stabbing somebody only resulted in 500 baht and a wai? We all know that the system ain´t what it should be, but posting total rubbish ain´t helping either.

We're approaching the new year and the TV 'Earliest Cliche In A Thread' award

I think the guy who posted #2 wins this round with his reference to TAT, even though nowhere in the OP does it state our Japanese friend is a tourist. He could well be one of the 65,000 Japanese expats in Thailand.

If only they could get a reference to brown envelopes and traffic accidents in, someone could have swept the board here. Sloppy work.

11 hours ago, emptypockets said:

quite likely, but I'm usually wheeling a suitcase as well. But neither after I've checked into the hotel. Some people are crim magnets. Nothing will change for some people. I tend to get around looking like a lazy bum in Thailand when I'm not working. Nothing worth pinching is my look. Wife hates it....5555.... that's the Aussie in me.....really couldn't care.

That was precisely my point. Honestly, when I look at most Japanese men, they look like walking targets and they are all know to carry around a bunch of cash. One point is that in BKK they have their own section for go go girls and it is high end spending. 

10 hours ago, Traubert said:

We're approaching the new year and the TV 'Earliest Cliche In A Thread' award

I think the guy who posted #2 wins this round with his reference to TAT, even though nowhere in the OP does it state our Japanese friend is a tourist. He could well be one of the 65,000 Japanese expats in Thailand.

If only they could get a reference to brown envelopes and traffic accidents in, someone could have swept the board here. Sloppy work.

The fact still remains .. a good portion of the blame falls on TAT ... since he was a tourist on over stay who was carrying 20,000 THB in a brown envelope to meet his immigration connection at 1:20 AM ... the normal "bribe time" in Bangkok ... to extend his stay (insert "extend" jokes here).  His connection was late because he and another Thai driver were locked in a standoff at the corner, where neither would back up to allow the other to pass.  At last report, their families were providing food and water ... since both cars have run out of fuel ... but still ... they refuse to exit the vehicles. Ladyboys have formed cheer leading squads, which has soi dogs barking all over the area.

On 12/24/2019 at 4:25 AM, holy cow cm said:

The guy was an obvious target. Who on earth carries a back pack with 20k in it. 

... and this at 1:20 am in the night!

On 12/24/2019 at 4:25 AM, holy cow cm said:

11 hours ago, bangkokequity said:

The fact still remains .. a good portion of the blame falls on TAT ... since he was a tourist on over stay who was carrying 20,000 THB in a brown envelope to meet his immigration connection at 1:20 AM ... the normal "bribe time" in Bangkok ... to extend his stay (insert "extend" jokes here).  His connection was late because he and another Thai driver were locked in a standoff at the corner, where neither would back up to allow the other to pass.  At last report, their families were providing food and water ... since both cars have run out of fuel ... but still ... they refuse to exit the vehicles. Ladyboys have formed cheer leading squads, which has soi dogs barking all over the area.

A laudable attempt which rockets into the top three.

If only Thai stupidity and the Government (sorry, junta) and the increasing girth and age of Pattaya's tarts could have been shoehorned in, well who knows where you would be in the rankings. ????

Chuck in a pis***g Chinese tour group and a horde of smelly, hand holding Indians with a straw each and one Chang and you would be out of sight.

Now, you have your material, all you need is a sleepless night until one of the above pops up, dive in first and the title of Earliest Cliche In A TV Thread is yours along with all the riches it carries. Grizzled expats at 8am happy hours will tap their noses and murmur 'That guy knows his onions' as you pass.

Now, have the nasty men who robbed this poor bloke been nicked yet?

On 12/24/2019 at 10:25 AM, holy cow cm said:

Maybe he had just entered Thailand, e.g. via an airport, and someone followed him. (Perhaps he even exchanged cash at the airport.) Or it was obvious to the robbers that he had just arrived by plane. - With the (well-known) rule that foreigners need to have 20,000 baht in cash on them upon arrival, Thailand makes foreigners, just arriving in Thailand, easy and 'worthwile' targets.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:22 PM, Nkpjed said:

Walking around at 1:20am in any city is risky these days, more so for women and tourists. Bangkok is no exception anymore. 

On 12/24/2019 at 2:22 PM, Nkpjed said:

on skvit road at that time you can expect ladyboy muggers to have a go at your pockets .they work in gangs and always have done for many years but they dont stab you usually

Archived