Visa extension based on Retirement at Korat today

This is really disgraceful. One ca’t help being cynical if we take this at face value. It isn’t civil service culture to think “800,000THB in the bank and nothing for me” but understandable.  The desk officer makes nothing out of one employing an agent and she has no discretion on what she asks for which is why she will not be contradicted, we wrongly call It  ‘face saving’.   Even if you put five hundred baht note in with your papers she wouldn’t be able to keep it because what she does has to be signed off.  

Edited by tgeezer

What a huge contrast to my experience there on monday. We obviously had a different IO mine was a pleasant helpful and polite young man.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1140158-successful-retirement-extension-without-international-payment-codes-in-korat/?tab=comments#comment-14888346

• Like 2

Nothing you wrote is anything new. When you go down there especially in Korat I know from experience they are by the book but they won’t give you a hard time for no reason but if your paperwork isn’t right it’ll make the process a little bit difficult which was obviously the case in your story. 

Also, “There is now a requirement to supply a statement from the bank as well as the usual letter.” This is definitely nothing new either it’s been the procedure for about a year now especially if you use the monthly income method I received in person confirmation from immigration that they want to see your one year bank statement earlier this month last time I was down there.

But that story sounds about right. Last year I had to pay the 800 baht as well because the year prior to that I had been using an agent in Bangkok which I don’t do anymore so I don’t have that problem anymore. The last time I used an agent was back in January 2018. I actually prefer doing it the right way now that immigration has gotten their stuff together last year it’s much easier these days after all now that the new procedures went into effect last year for income.

The new rules actually does make the process a lot easier. Definitely a lot easier than going all the way down to Bangkok for an embassy letter EVERY SINGLE YEAR. 

The only thing good about the agent I used to use in Bangkok before was that I used to be able to pay money to get my marriage extension done the SAME DAY ???? but now I have to wait like everyone else because I do it myself now which I actually prefer now that I know exactly how it works. I’d rather do it the right way than the fast way anyway so I don’t run into problems later whenever I do my first 90 day report for the year after I get my extensions done. You actually can’t do it the way I used to do it anymore as of December 2018 anyway. In over 5 years last year was my first time doing my extension by myself without an agent and I honestly prefer doing it myself now, in fact I had to pay that 800 baht as well last year in Korat because I had been using an agent in Bangkok prior to that. 

But anyway your story sounds pretty routine and I can tell that your paperwork wasn’t in order because that’s exactly what happens when your immigration paperwork isn’t perfect. And you actually said it wasn’t you didn’t know about the bank statement and that’s been the rules now for exactly a year technically since about May or June ever since the income affidavits from the embassy officially went away about 6 months ago. 

49 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Did you have photocopies of your bank book for a complete year with your bank letter? Just wondering if they will still accept that or if they will only accept a one year set of bank statements.

Yes you definitely need that also. I know for sure you do in Korat. They want to see your bank letter, one year bank statement, your bank books, yes photo copies of all the pages in your bank books for the whole year, and yes your one year bank statement as well as that other stuff. That’s just what I remember off the top of my head last time I was at immigration earlier this month in Korat. I might post a topic about my current extension in a few weeks maybe.

I’m pretty sure they meant for me to bring them the copies of my bank books AND the bank letter and bank statements I’m pretty sure that was what she meant I don’t think she meant either or.

Ubonjoe do you know do you normally need your copies of the bank book and the letter and statement? I’m pretty sure that’s what she meant. 

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

When you say "statement" in your first post do you mean a bank statement showing the 800K? I always assumed this was necessary as well as the bank letter. I always copy my bank book showing the 800k as well as getting a letter from the bank.

I don’t know if you need the statement for the money in the bank option I think that’s normally only for monthly income. In fact I remember them telling me that at immigration earlier this month. 

4 minutes ago, DennisE said:

Ubonjoe do you know do you normally need your copies of the bank book and the letter and statement? I’m pretty sure that’s what she meant. 

For the 800k baht option it depends upon the office you go to. Some are wanting a 2 or 3 month bank statement with the bank book. In some cases it might be due to the bank book not showing all transactions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DennisE said:

I don’t know if you need the statement for the money in the bank option I think that’s normally only for monthly income. In fact I remember them telling me that at immigration earlier this month. 

No. It's a new requirement.

I did my extension on 800k deposit in Chiang Mai and NOT monthly income option, they still require the bank statements of the last few months of transactions even though my Fixed Deposit account already showed that.

Every year they require us to do more and more documentation.

TM30 for out of province and bank statements in addition to the photocopies of passbook.

Welcome to the land of hard-knocks (not smiles)!

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Henryford said:

When you say "statement" in your first post do you mean a bank statement showing the 800K? I always assumed this was necessary as well as the bank letter. I always copy my bank book showing the 800k as well as getting a letter from the bank.

Many people are confused over this. There are three requirements now.

1. Bank letter

2. Bank passbook pages showing detailed transactions over past few months.

3. Bank statement showing detailed transactions.

In the past, item #3 was not required. I don't see the difference between #2 and #3 even though they are different documents showing the same thing.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 7:49 AM, JohnOFphon said:

I'm reliaby in formed they are paying 12,500 baht all in, which includes them doing all the 90 day rep stuff - so literally 1 visit (photo) to imm p.a. - smashing in my book.

i'm seriously tempted to join the gang when mine is due later next year. cos at my age i'm finding it hard to deal with the stress....

Yeah...That's 12,500 for the agent, and another 70,000 or so for the mandated insurance. If you maintain the Non O A. 

What a bargain huh?

My agent is only 3,000b but in the end you have to do all the leg work of getting the paper work together

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

"Being meticulous may help get rid of more of the bad guys."

I've met literally thousands of farang since I arrived here 13 years back, but I'm still waiting to meet one of these bad guys.

Too busy lookin' in the mirror. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. 

quality2.jpg.6aa77ba408c864d4c4b6cf38f60e90d3.jpg

Next stop: Cambodia

Or maybe you were just lucky. ???? Personally, I think the number of obvious undesirables on the streets has markedly decreased in part because of tighter Immigration rules. We may agree to disagree. 

To read posts from you rosey specs types, you'd assume every other retiree was pond life. There must be a word to describe folk who hate their own kind, seems to go against what nature intended.

Exaggeration doesn't help your case. Nor does bigotry, whining, and crying, soiling your knickers over every little bump in the road. Yeah, life gives you lemons, make lemonade and all that. ???? In other words, just grow a pair and learn to be happy in Thailand without blaming them for your problems. 

@ DickThrust, I had an experience this year where I went to Phuket Immigration for my 90-day reporting (on a Type-OA Visa).  I was asked during the initial excellent screening if I had proof of residency (such as via the TM-30), and I noted it had been submitted (my Thai wife had entered it on-line).

When I went to the counter for the 90-day reporting paperwork, the  IO advised there was no entry in the TM30 database for myself.   My Thai wife was with me, and she noted she had entered it, and we showed the IO a screen print.  The IO noted again there was no database entry, and noted that the screen print we showed the IO was done BEFORE the save function initiated, and not from a search in the database AFTER the TM30 submitted.  So the IO re-iterated it was not in the TM30 database, and advised us to leave, enter AGAIN the information in the database, and come back again for the 90-day reporting.     The IO did not volunteer to enter the information themselves, although they had the database open (and had our screen print).

So we went home, resubmitted the TM30, this time being careful to do a search AFTER the TM30 submission (confirming TM30 entry accepted), and went back to Phuket Immigration for my 90-day reporting.

Everything went through fine this time. The Phuket immigration officials were very polite and professional the entire time (as were my wife and myself).

Neither my wife nor myself were fined.  I also note my wife-and-I own the foreign freehold condo in which we live, and offered to show that paperwork, although I suspect that made no difference.

Unfortunately, I don't think the TM30 database software is as fool proof as one might like.

• Like 2

not on a visa but on new passport: went to Khorat Immi. on Tuesday with old and newly issued passports plus TM 6 plus Embassy letter to Immi that "please move visa to new pp".  No queue, the checker girl told me to get all pages of old, photo page of new pp plus TM6 copied: Volunteer helped me, copied all stuff in a jiffy at no charge. Back to Immi again, nice chat with officer while she stamped away the afternoon. Out after 45min - splendid Khorat experience, nice people

Edited by thurien

OK Guys - I will share an experience with Korat Immigration on 25 Dec as soon as I have time.  I have also been going to Korat Immigration for years.  How do I open a new subject or just enter it here?  My problem was of a different kind.  This was the who purpose of getting rid of the letter from the US Embassy so these bottom feeders can charge a fee from those of us who get fed up with this new <deleted> at Immigration.  The more hands in your pocket - the better.

• Confused 1

My reaction to this, somehow the I/O had to save face (the Thai culture thing) when the farang put it in his/her face that he had submitted it online and had the copies of the online transactions.  Oh yes, the bank statement has been a requirement for quite a long time.  The recommendation don't cause the I/O to be embarrassed in front of his/her peers.  The other thing, "how were you dressed?  Was it shorts/t-shirt/sandals?  Or were you dressed like you should when going into any government office?"

42 minutes ago, fceligoj said:

My reaction to this, somehow the I/O had to save face (the Thai culture thing) when the farang put it in his/her face that he had submitted it online and had the copies of the online transactions.  Oh yes, the bank statement has been a requirement for quite a long time.  The recommendation don't cause the I/O to be embarrassed in front of his/her peers.  The other thing, "how were you dressed?  Was it shorts/t-shirt/sandals?  Or were you dressed like you should when going into any government office?"

In my case where we went to Phuket immigration for my 90-day reporting (where the TM30 entry made by my Thai wife was not showing up in the Thai database) I was wearing clean newly pressed long pants, a yellow short sleeve shirt (with Thai Royal emblem), recent hair cut, and I had shaved that morning.  I was thou, wearing sandals. 

Possibly my ok appearance, and both my wife and I trying very hard to be polite (and  also our having the screen print proof of the TM30) was the reason we were not fined. And we did then (after being instructed to do so) go straight home, reenter (again) the TM30 info into the Thai TM30 database, and return again to the Immigration office within an hour.  My 90-day reporting then went quick and very smooth.  Its fortunate we live very close to the immigration office in Phuket.

I have a couple of yellow shirts, and I typically save wearing them for occasions when I need to go to a Thai government office.  I figure as a foreigner I am a guest here, and I should attempt to be as non-offensive as possible.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaipo7 said:

How do I open a new subject or just enter it here? 

You click "Start new topic" at the of the top of the main page of this forum. Probably best to post it in this topic since it is about the same office.