Thai reporter sentenced to jail for libelling chicken farm

webfact

My doctor told me I was sick, so naturally,  I had him charged for defamation.  He can now reflect on his mistake whilst he is cooling his heels for a couple of years.   Can you imagine the world if people were allowed to tell the truth?    The horror, the horror!

Some off topic posts and replies about some incidents in the US have been removed.

Posts containing derogatory references to the Thai Justice system have been removed as per the following:

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

You also agree not to post negative comments criticizing the legal proceedings or judgments of any Thai court of law.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lungstib said:

As I understood it from a previous case, it wasn't whether what you said was true or not, it was whether your comment caused loss of business or personal status. Just a step below Lese Majeste, the truth doesn't come into it. 

Ok, thanks for explaining the warped logic 

Her mistake was in adding the phrase 'slave labour' to her tweet. None of the legal proceedings had used that phrase, therefore the libel charge, which means saying something knowingly untrue, as opposed to defamation, which could be a true statement that causes 'harm'. She blew it. That's not to say that the whole thing is fair, it's not, but she blew it. The whole defamation BS in Thailand is just that, BS. You can go to jail for calling a murderer a murderer if it hurts the murderer's reputation. That is just nuts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

What did the tweet say? 

In September 2017, Suchanee retweeted a message from former Migrant Workers Rights Network (MWRN) advisor Andy Hall, adding a comment which said that the court ordered the Lop Buri chicken farm owner to pay compensation for the 14 immigrant workers “for using slave labour.”

Yesterday’s ruling said that Suchanee’s post is considered defamation, as the phrase “slave labour” did not appear in Hall’s post and the court ruling he attached to his post. It is therefore considered damaging to the company.

Because the court believed that Suchanee posted her tweet without considering the damage it could cause to the company, and that she had not checked whether her message was accurate, the court considered Suchanee’s action not in good faith. She was therefore sentenced to two years in prison according to Section 328 of the Criminal Code. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/25/2019 at 6:49 AM, Lungstib said:

As I understood it from a previous case, it wasn't whether what you said was true or not, it was whether your comment caused loss of business or personal status. Just a step below Lese Majeste, the truth doesn't come into it. 

Truth is strictly forbidden in 'Thai (=Free) Land', under pain of imprisonment (or worse).

Appalling. And we are about to enter the year 2020. 

In actuality, we are living 500 years back in the past ....