Changing from O-A to O  

14 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

As I say, I do not have specific knowledge on this matter.  My field was American/European general studies history. I speculate that there are international trade agreements or individual country trade agreements calling on the signing countries to recognize the validity of the international healthcare insurance policies. I believe such existing agreements, for example, allowed a Chiang Mai hospital to accept international payment from my US healthcare insurer for my heart attack billing (part of my retirement benefit in the US). For the Kingdom of Thailand to refuse to recognize the validity of the policy within its sovereign borders seems to me inconsistent with existing international trade. I am thinking the international trade attorneys would have the knowledge which may come into play. My guess is that there will be international insurance company resulting pressure applied out of our view (because potential profits are involved).

You got that right - it's speculation. It is up to the health provider to avail themselves of the promises of the insurance company. That a sovereign government that is in no sense a party to the insurance policy can be forced to accept its validity for some other purpose simply isn't going to happen

Edited by ThaiBunny

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

I have no knowledge on this but it seems to me that the international insurance companies should be informed that the Kingdom of Thailand is refusing to recognize the validity of their company international contracted policies.

I think it a bit more complex than this. 

For example some of the more expensive Thailand hospitals (Bumrungrad, Bangkok Hospital,  Vichaiyut Hospital) accept my International Insurance, and even have direct billing to my International Insurance company. 

Yet my International Insurance company will not complete the Thailand 'Foreign Insurance Certificate' claiming they do not understand the Thailand Health requirements as laid out in that form.  Instead they want Thailand to accept their foreign language (English) Insurance certificate (which states nothing about the level of Insurance coverage) and go to an Insurance web page that only an Insurance policy holder can access, to get the details.  Clearly that is impractical for the Thai government.

I suspect Thailand's immigration anticipated this 'lack of co-operation' of International Insurance companies, so they came up with their own method of having an 'approved list' of Thailand insurance companies ... which unfortunately does not include the International companies.

IMHO large insurance companies have their own bureaucracy's and they don't see Thailand as a large market for them to bend their policy to produce documents in the Thai language acceptable to Thailand immigration.  How are native Thailand speaking Immigration officials to verify what a foreigner says about their International Insurance , when they can not verify the non-Thailand language forms provided by the International Insurance companies?

IMHO there is more work to be done (which I hope will be done in coming years) to make International Insurance acceptable. 

I believe the Thailand form "Foreign Insurance Certificate" could be improved to make it more acceptable to being completed by International Insurance Companies, while still achieving the goal of proving adequate insurance.  

I also believe Thailand Ministry of Health in conjunction/cooperation with Thailand immigration, could transfer the responsibility for checking foreigner's International Insurance to the Thailand Hospitals - where for a nominal fee the Hospitals could check the insurance, and provide a certified Thailand form for the foreigner to take to Thailand immigration.

After all, was it not the hospitals complaining about foreigners running up bills without paying?

I will continue to be hopeful, although my prediction is we could be looking at years before International Insurance verification will be better tuned and made acceptable/useful to all.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not being able to get a non-o visa for being 50 or over for retirement is really nothing new. Many embassies and official consulates have not issued one for many years now. Only honorary consulates were able to issue one since they cannot issue a non-oa visa.

Exactly. They have clearly been moving towards O-A visa for retirees for years. It’s been my opinion for years that the O would eventually go for retirees. The advent of compulsory insurance increases that belief.

There is no point having the O if they want to sell insurance.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A category non-o visa can be issued for many reasons. Only the reason for issuing one can be restricted.

Yes, and the reasons change over time and place. I had a couple of ME O’s in the past just with a letter of invite from a Thai friend. 

So it will be easy for them to stop issuing them for retirement; which they already do in some places.

You seem to of forgotten that immigration can issue the visa as well. They have even expanded it to all offices now while before only certain offices could issued them.

That changes over time. They could easily withdraw that facility.

You repeatedly assured members that the compulsory insurance was only for O-A visa holders and wouldn’t apply to extensions of stay. You were wrong.

It seems obvious that they are targeting ‘retirees’; the group. So I don’t see why the category of visa will ultimately enable any retiree to swerve insurance. They might keep the O too, but it doesn’t make sense for them to do so.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

"At the moment" is key in my consideration. I applied for, submitted the legal record, the medical record, the financial record in good faith in order to demonstrate that I would be an attribute coming to retire in the Kingdom of Thailand and spend my retirement income there. I was granted a NON IMM O-A Visa for retirement. I have had a non issue 8 years in Thailand paying all bills, including the 411,000 baht hospital bill. Now I am told that my stay will be voided by a new requirement for medical insurance that I cannot qualify for due to my pre-existing condition. Yes, choice is mine as a free man to go elsewhere but the Kingdom of Thailand has shown me bad faith in voiding the agreement we made to each other in 2011.

The agreement is/was for 12 months at a time. Not for life unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Quote from an interesting article published yesterday from an outlet which cannot be linked too

''

The Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) remains bullish on the insurance industry in 2020, saying ''health insurance'', ''government-related insurance'' products and crop insurance will be boosters.

Although the economic slowdown dealt a blow to the business this year, prospects look brighter for next year, said secretary-general Suthiphon Taveechaiyagarn.

"Insurance companies are facing a challenge from implementation of IFRS 17, an international financial reporting standard to be adopted in the next two years, but fast-growing health insurance products and growing demand for insurance products from ''government-related parties'' are growth drivers for next year," Mr Suthiphon said.

Interested to know what your opinion is on this. Is it referring to expat insurance (which I think would be a drop in the ocean in the big picture) or something else?

14 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Interested to know what your opinion is on this. Is it referring to expat insurance (which I think would be a drop in the ocean in the big picture) or something else?

The article never made reference to anything in particular, other than to those insurance products.
IMO, Health Insurance will eventually be required to ALL extensions of stay or at least to those on extensions which are in the 50yr and above age bracket. 50 years old seems to be the trigger that the MoPH refer too.
It would make no sense to apply a health Insurance to an O-A visa and extensions of, in order for people to switch to a Non O, for instance and extend that with no insurance requirement. It would simply be the same people in the same country and same situation. IMO, they did it to the O-A first in order, not to have mass panic and confusion. I see at some stage, the Non O being phased out and not issued for retirement, and the only option being the O-A visa

• Like 1

On December 26, 2019 at 4:25 AM, bkk6060 said:

Seems many IO's are misinformed or spreading rumors.

Thankfully farang posting on TV never spread unsubstantiated rumors or cause stress or worry by posting mindless speculation .  It is only immigration officers who, we are reliably informed, do so while presenting sinister smiles.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

"At the moment" is key in my consideration. I applied for, submitted the legal record, the medical record, the financial record in good faith in order to demonstrate that I would be an attribute coming to retire in the Kingdom of Thailand and spend my retirement income there. I was granted a NON IMM O-A Visa for retirement. I have had a non issue 8 years in Thailand paying all bills, including the 411,000 baht hospital bill. Now I am told that my stay will be voided by a new requirement for medical insurance that I cannot qualify for due to my pre-existing condition. Yes, choice is mine as a free man to go elsewhere but the Kingdom of Thailand has shown me bad faith in voiding the agreement we made to each other in 2011.

I understand your frustration, but you have a common misunderstanding of your permission to stay.

You haven't been given permission to 'retire in the Kingdom". You have -- as a retiree -- been given permission to live in the country -- for 1 year only -- because you have proved you have sufficient money in the bank or passive income to support your stay. Nothing more.

They will not void your current 1 year stay -- which is all they've agreed to -- and they can change the goalposts however they wish for future visas/extensions, which have always been a new application.

I hope you can find one of the insurers to cover you, if not the best bet would be to change over to an O visa/extension and deal with any further changes to that visa category when/if they happen.

35 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Well the facts now prove he was wrong, so -- with respect -- it's a bit daft for you to maintain he was right!

While the current facts on the ground support  you- I am not certain that the drafter of the Police Order did not intend to Grandfather everyone with an O-A prior to 31 oct. 

The implementation of the order has been  rather chaotic in that at first Swampy was  only approving 30 days as entry, then they backed off.

Now we have various Embassies  sending diplomatic notes indicating chaos amongst the holders of O-A Visas/extensions.

We also have various reports of  applicants with  pre conditions and over age 75 being refused insurance and extensions.  The MOH actually tecongnized this as a problem but never acted on it - throwing the issue back to the Thai cabinet.  It is a known problem.

IMO if the powers that be want to come out of this debacle and save face- they will grandfather everyone- say that is what the intent was and the chaos and problems end.

If they do this- that gives them time to actually come up with an insurance system that can be applied across the board.

IMO since there has been so much pushback from expats and Embassies- the Thai powers may well hold up on any further implementation and re-study what they have done.   With the popularity of social media- there are many  negative impressions out there regarding this issue.

However- in the long term I would agree that they will phase out any issuance of Non O for retirement. If someone wants to retire in Thailand- they will only be able to get Non O-A or Non X with the insurance requirement and the result of such a requirement will be the ending of Thailand as a  place to retire.  They may well want this to happen

Those alreasy in nthe system will turn to agents or if married use the Non O for married extensions. 

I  seriously doubt that Non O visas and extensions for marriage will be impacted since the Thai Government would be facing problems under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

You mean to westerners married with Thai wife too? 

I do not think so,

there is a possibility that happens to those who do not use 400,000 (marriage extension) or 800,000 (retirement extension) method in bank.

"Required insurance policy is at list 400,000". 

Edited by The Theory
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Theory said:

I do not think so,

there is a possibility that happens to those who do not use 400,000 (marriage extension) or 800,000 (retirement extension) method in bank.

"Required insurance policy is at list 400,000". 

Can you remind me what married folk need to do with regards 400k in bank after their 12 month extension is granted.

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

after their 12 month extension is granted.

So you mean there is no 400,000 requirement after 1st extension ? 
Then probably having insurance will be mandatory for them as well since they are not self insured by "fund in bank". 
If such scenario happens I see that many retired who are on marriage visa will change to 800,000 non-O in bank method if they have the fund available. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, The Theory said:

So you mean there is no 400,000 requirement after 1st extension ? 
Then probably having insurance will be mandatory for them as well since they are not self insured by "fund in bank". 
If such scenario happens I see that many retired who are on marriage visa will change to 800,000 non-O in bank method if they have the fund available. 

I see where you are going and logically you would be right. Unfortunately, logic is foreign to Thai mentality. I do hope you are right as this is also what I’m banking on. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

It look like they are already asking for Thai health insurance for No O in Australia..   I'll check with the consulate in Adelaide when I return for a visit in Feb..

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/non-immigrant/

That link does not specify insurance for Non-Imm-O category, only O-A and O-X.

11 hours ago, Thaidream said:

However- in the long term I would agree that they will phase out any issuance of Non O for retirement. If someone wants to retire in Thailand- they will only be able to get Non O-A or Non X with the insurance requirement and the result of such a requirement will be the ending of Thailand as a  place to retire. 

Fully agree with the stance you make in your full post #48.

And I even agree with the excerpt from that post featured above.

But the key phrase is 'in the long term'.

So at the present moment and in the short term, it would be ludicrous to step into the expensive and basically worthless thai-approved health-insurance scam that IO enforces on extensions of stay of original OA Visas for reason of retirement.

Especially since there is a cheap (less than 5.000 THB) and relatively easy escape-route that leads to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.  The conditions and requirements for an extension of that Non Imm O - retirement Visa are EXACTLY the same as for the present Non Imm OA - retirement Visa, but don't require health-insurance. 

When and if in the long term IO ever decides to also impose health-insurance on that Non Imm O - retirement type Visa or phase it out, then as a minimum they need to foresee options for the retiree categories (+75 years old or pre-existing conditions) that are presently not eligible for the thai-approved health-insurance policies on offer.

So it does make all the sense of the world to switch over to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa when your OA - retirement extension is due, instead of succumbing to the present insurance-scam.

Note: I compiled a comprehensive roadmap with all details/options to make that conversion from an OA to an O.  Feel free to PM me if you'd like to receive a copy.

Yes, I am on a Mission to kill this bogus health-insurance scam. ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That link does not specify insurance for Non-Imm-O category, only O-A and O-X.

I can no longer see on the Sydney, Adelaide and Canberra websites any listing for the Non O visa for retirement purposes. Only the O-A visa is now available for retirement purposes.
On the other end of the scale, the London E visa application site, has taken out the Non O for retirement and now showing 'Unless over 50 and in receipt of a state pension'. They are allowing those not in receipt of a state pension (Not everybody over 65 gets the state pension if you never made contributions) to show a 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000

Edited by Lovethailandelite

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, I am on a Mission to kill this bogus health-insurance scam.

A worthy objective since IMO the whole issue has been completely mishandled.

My objection to this whole charade is that at present they refuse to acknowledge grandfathering  which is always the key to any change in rules, regulations, or law. And what makes it so infuriating is that past  changes of income requirements have been grandfathered- so there is a precedent. Was the ommission done on purpose or simply through ignorance- we will never know/

The level of incompetence; chicanery' and lack of communication regarding this implementation is truly stagering .  It's as if the Police Order was writtn with ambiguity on purpose, either because the writer didn't truly understand the issues; or so they could interpret it as needed whichever way the wind was blowing.

As I have stated so often the solution to this is simple-

1.   Grandfather everyone who is here on an O-A issued prior to 31 October 2019 - No insurance requirement.

2. Any new O-A Visas issued after 31 October 2019 have an insurance requirement which can be met by using any company worldwide wide that provides  the coverage. A simple form filled out by one's insurance agent saying the coverage is current and paid suffices as proof.   The Embassy or IO can ask for the coverage page if needed.

3.   Provide a provision that anyone who  cannot obtain or is denied coverage due to age or pre-existing conditions can still be extended or obtain a new O-A . A letter of denial from  insurance would serve as proof.  the applicant would be required to sign a statement indicating they are responsible for any medical expenses.

4.  any furhter expansion of the Insurance requirement to other groups needs to be put on hold while a full range of options are disscussed and implemented such as allowing any foreign insurance coverage; buy in to the Thai Social Security System;  allowing all Thai Insurance Comanies to provide coverage not just  those on a list and getting feedback from the expat community osn the issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1