New twist at Savannakhet?

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No difference at all since immigration does not pay attention to those notes stamped or written on or near a visa sticker.

The only thing they look at it for is to be sure it is still valid.

So, why do it at all? ......................And why was it not done before?

Clearly it was done to inform someone  who may scrutinise at some future time. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

Anyone else come across this or have any knowledge?

No one will be able to give you a definitive answer as this is new.

It’s a strange one as there is no reason why your wife should be with you as — under the system — it’s expected that these visas are applied for in the applicants home country and the wife is not expected to present in the country.

I can’t see it having an affect on anything going forward as long as you only apply for extensions as a spouse using this visa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sd44 said:

I have one written on my passport from March. Mine just said "spouse with Thai wife" and i presume it's just for consulate guidance  use as it is partially under the actual visa. 

No. It’s to inform immigration the reason why the visa was issued.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

I can’t see it having an affect on anything going forward as long as you only apply for extensions as a spouse using this visa.

With this visa you do not apply for extensions. The visa is a multi-entry Non-O based on marriage and a new visa is issued on application each time in Savannakhet. Do you have experience of this or are you just giving an opinion? 

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

No. It’s to inform immigration the reason why the visa was issued.

In that case why was my friend's wife actually named in the annotation as accompanying him? The visa is the same whether accompanied by your wife or not. Wife's name does not need to be in husband's passport.  My wife has accompanied me on two previous occasions and nothing was ever written on the visa page before this time. Last year she did not accompany me and nothing was asked about her or written in my passport. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sjbrownderby said:

With this visa you do not apply for extensions. The visa is a multi-entry Non-O based on marriage and a new visa is issued on application each time in Savannakhet.

Just a small comment: A Multi Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa is issued for a full year.  It allows the holder to stay for periods of max 90 days in Thailand, after which he needs to exit Thailand.  On re-entry he will be then stamped in for the next 90 days permission to stay that this ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa entitles him to.

So you can get almost 15 months out of such a Visa, when last re-entry is timed just before Visa expiry.

The MAIN comment I want to make  however, is that these border-hops do not need necessarily take place where the Visa was issued (Savannakhet), but can be done at any thai border.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Just a small comment: A Multi Entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa is issued for a full year.  It allows the holder to stay for periods of max 90 days in Thailand, after which he needs to exit Thailand.  On re-entry he will be then stamped in for the next 90 days permission to stay that this ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa entitles him to.

So you can get almost 15 months out of such a Visa, when last re-entry is timed just before Visa expiry.

The MAIN comment I want to make  however, is that these border-hops do not need necessarily take place where the Visa was issued (Savannakhet), but can be done at any thai border.

I think that you misunderstood what sjbrownderby had written. He was responding to a previous post by another person who stated about an extension for this visa which you do not get plus he only mentioned that a new visa is required and it can be applied for at Savannakhet. There was nothing mentioned about only using Savannakhet for the border hops.

• Thanks 1

All my non-o visas since this year state that handwritten note  "I take care of a child or have a Thai child" in Thai. Perhaps it makes it easier on random checks to see what the specific reason of the non-o is, nothing bad I guess and it does seem the IO read them, only seems to process me faster.

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, spinner2020 said:

I too got some handwriting on my visa in July - turns out to be my wife's name. Certainly made no difference last time I arrived back at Swampy (4 weeks ago).

I was there mid September. No questions asked and no notes in passport.

Maybe it’s how they determine house visits...? I was asked where my wife was once in 90 day

check in at IO. Said outside and he asked me to

tell her come in. I don’t remember if they said 

Anything but hello...

Edited by DJ54
Add

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

Maybe it’s how they determine house visits...? I was asked where my wife was once in 90 day

check in at IO. Said outside and he asked me to

tell her come in. I don’t remember if they said 

Anything but hello...

Not likely to be doing a 90 day report on a non O Multi entry visa. At least not for me.

On 12/26/2019 at 10:54 AM, ubonjoe said:

No difference at all since immigration does not pay attention to those notes stamped or written on or near a visa sticker.

The only thing they look at it for is to be sure it is still valid.

Joe , please comment on the following as there is confusion for me and friends with the visa rules .

1/ A non o m/e issued in Savannakhet based on marriage without proof of income requires you to leave the country every 90 days ? 

2/ A non o single entry based on marriage with proof of income , report to local immigration every 90 days ?

3/ Can a non o m/e based on retirement and issued in the UK based on state pension ( without proof of income ) be changed to a non o based on marriage ( pending )  within Thailand or Savannakhet ?

4/ Item 2/ Friend has this and says it is for 1 year only and cannot be extended by 90 days by leaving the country before the expiry date , true ? 

5/ Therefore , non o based on marriage can be with or without proof of income ?  without proof of income  possible to extend by 90 days and possibly a further 60 days .

6/ A s/e non o based on marriage , can leave the country using a re-entry permit to validate the current visa ?

I can understand guys using agents as the whole visa thingy can be confusing to many silver heads .

16 minutes ago, superal said:

Joe , please comment on the following as there is confusion for me and friends with the visa rules .

1/ A non o m/e issued in Savannakhet based on marriage without proof of income requires you to leave the country every 90 days ? 

2/ A non o single entry based on marriage with proof of income , report to local immigration every 90 days ?

3/ Can a non o m/e based on retirement and issued in the UK based on state pension ( without proof of income ) be changed to a non o based on marriage ( pending )  within Thailand or Savannakhet ?

4/ Item 2/ Friend has this and says it is for 1 year only and cannot be extended by 90 days by leaving the country before the expiry date , true ? 

5/ Therefore , non o based on marriage can be with or without proof of income ?  without proof of income  possible to extend by 90 days and possibly a further 60 days .

6/ A s/e non o based on marriage , can leave the country using a re-entry permit to validate the current visa ?

I can understand guys using agents as the whole visa thingy can be confusing to many silver heads .

1. Correct

But a one year extension could be applied for during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from it.

2. That would be correct if the 90 day entry from the single entry visa was extended for one year based upon marriage at immigration.

3. There would be no change. A one year extension based upon marriage could be applied for during the last 30 days of any of the 90 daye entries from.

4/5. See my number 2.

It is a new 90 day entry from the multiple entry visa not an extension. Extensions can only be applied for at immigration.

6. The re-entry permit would be for the one year extension of stay to keep it valid when entering the country not the visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1