Fare of MRT Purple Line to be set at a maximum Bt20

Jonathan Fairfield

Fare of MRT Purple Line to be set at a maximum Bt20

n4.jpg

The Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) governor Pakapong Sirikantaramas said on Wednesday (December 25) that the Cabinet has approved the Ministry of Transport’s proposal to reduce the fare of Metropolitan Rapid Transit Chalong Ratchadham Line (MRT Purple Line) from Bt14-Bt42 to Bt14-Bt20.

“The new fare will be applicable for both holders of general public pass and buyers of tokens at station kiosks from 5.30am to midnight,” he said. “The fare for going onto the platform is Bt14, for travelling to the first station Bt17, then Bt20 for the next station to the terminus.”

Holders of the children pass (aged not over 14 years and between 91-120 cm tall) and senior citizens aged over 60 years will receive a 50-per-cent discount on all fares while holders of the student pass (aged over 14 years but not over 23 years) will receive a 10-per-cent discount. “For passengers changing from the MRT Blue Line to Purple Line, the maximum fare will be Bt48 per trip.”

According to the governor, the new price scheme will have a trial period of 3 months and run through March 31.

“After the trial ends, MRTA will evaluate the suitability of the price again,” he said. “In this pilot phase, we estimate that the Purple Line will attract 17.8 per cent more customers or am additional 282,500 persons per month.”

Pakapong added that the fare reduction measure is in accordance with the government’s policy to reduce the cost of living while promoting use of the MRT system, which will help reduce the use of personal cars and decrease emissions, traffic congestion and road accidents in Bangkok.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30379851

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-26

19 hours ago, Thechook said:

So actually it's 51baht.

No...as a holder of a senior discount card...I will pay 10 baht from Khlong Bang Phai (endpoint) to TaoPoon (endpoint). Now if If I go from Khong Bang Phai 1 stop to Talad Bang yai I pay only 9 baht. If I travel all the way to TaoPoon it is 21 baht senior discount (or 42 baht regular adult fare) currently. So after this policy change that will be only 20 baht regular fare

Edited by tonray

The biggest problem/expense is the Park and Ride fee...  Many times a year go to Rama 4 with the folk next door as they both work at the Hospital..  returning Metro + MRT to Bang Yai for me is 35 baht...  + 90 - 107 baht for Taxi home..

twice this year went as normal, then friend left car in the Park and Ride, so I drove home, the car had been parked less than 2 hours both times the Parking cost 100 baht [Min Parking Fee] + petrol to drive home = far more expensive.

Go to Hospital twice next month so Fare should be less than 35 baht...

6 minutes ago, ignis said:

The biggest problem/expense is the Park and Ride fee...  Many times a year go to Rama 4 with the folk next door as they both work at the Hospital..  returning Metro + MRT to Bang Yai for me is 35 baht...  + 90 - 107 baht for Taxi home..

twice this year went as normal, then friend left car in the Park and Ride, so I drove home, the car had been parked less than 2 hours both times the Parking cost 100 baht [Min Parking Fee] + petrol to drive home = far more expensive.

Go to Hospital twice next month so Fare should be less than 35 baht...

According to the MRT parking should be 10 baht per 2 hours 

https://www.mrta.co.th/th/services/ppl/บร-การท-จอด/

Clipboard01.png.6bc35125d5ee33176a92594869074620.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tonray said:

According to the MRT parking should be 10 baht per 2 hours 

https://www.mrta.co.th/th/services/ppl/บร-การท-จอด/

Clipboard01.png.6bc35125d5ee33176a92594869074620.png

Both times I was charged 100 baht !!!

Maybe price is for Thai's ?  maybe because I refused to give my Passport ? [I was driving so showed her my Thai Drivers Licence]  why would you show some parking attendant your Passport ??

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

So that you don't get charged B100!

Were you a train user?

Yes as I clearly said..

I left as normal @ 04:15 with next door that both work at the Hospital, my friend starts work at 14:00 and parked the Pickup @ 12:30, we met at the change over Purple Line/Metro  TaoPoon  so I got the car park ticket, I arrived at the car park entrance in the Truck @ 14:15...... Less than 2 hours

1 hour ago, ignis said:

Yes as I clearly said..

I left as normal @ 04:15 with next door that both work at the Hospital, my friend starts work at 14:00 and parked the Pickup @ 12:30, we met at the change over Purple Line/Metro  TaoPoon  so I got the car park ticket, I arrived at the car park entrance in the Truck @ 14:15...... Less than 2 hours

Sounds like a heck of a commute. 10 hours to get to work. 

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

Any reduction in fare is welcome. The BTS should also reduce fares and give senior discount to everyone not just Thai people. Dual pricing and racism is never acceptable!

Senior discounts...  Isn't that dual pricing and age discrimination?

• Confused 1

On 12/26/2019 at 12:38 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

“After the trial ends, MRTA will evaluate the suitability of the price again,”

It seems the government hadn't really done a serious economic analysis of the project before it was contracted for construction.

To wit (Nov. 2018):

"having too great an effect on the concession contract" likely refers to the private owner-operator and an executed contract.

If the government determines now after contract execution and project completion that the original fare analysis for the fare structure necessary to sustain a contractual profit margin for the concessionaire can't be achieved (assuming such analysis was done!) because of too high of a fare structure, then the government might (depending on contract terms) have to subsidize fares so as not to breach the contract. Or make other additional concessions (ie., side rail development rights, reduced taxation, free contract extension, etc.) to make revenues whole for the concessionaire. Ultimately therefore, the cost for any lower fare structure than originally negotiated might be at the Thai taxpayer's expense.